January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

Just now, MaineJay said:

Looks an hour or two slower maybe? Just looking at H5 and H7

Yeah.. I kept looking at the H5, comparing to RGEM and GFS and was like, cmon, this is close, what gives?

namconus_z500_vort_us_fh63_trend.gif

39 minutes ago, LongIslanGurlllll said:

When is the last time everyone got measurable snowfall? For us it’s been 2 years 

December 14 we got a few inches and the mountains got much more. Sadly, rain washed away the snow by Christmas. 

IMG_20231214_140614811.thumb.jpg.1ee33cafc2cb591c8b83cecb9085f78c.jpg

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 4

2 minutes ago, Penn State said:

I’ll be honest.. I’ve never heard of that platform. 

Its an ooooooooold platform started back in the late 70's

• LAUGH 2

8 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Looks an hour or two slower maybe? Just looking at H5 and H7

Definitely a hair slower, slightly more organized with the energy. That ripple in Illinois/Indiana though is the kink. We have 3 players on the field instead of 2 like the other models. That energy pushes the storm east. The NAM really loves that 3rd piece (2nd on most models) that rolls through and sets off a snowstorm in Missouri and Illinois at 84. The other models mostly make that storm a nuisance. 

image.thumb.png.6202ea534c438beca6e76d7e4a3ef69e.png

Edited by Psu1313
Added Hour 63 image
  • LIKE 2

Just now, Psu1313 said:

Definitely a hair slower, slightly more organized with the energy. That ripple in Illinois/Indiana though is the kink. We have 3 players on the field instead of 2 like the other models. That energy pushes the storm east. The NAM really loves that 3rd piece (2nd on most models) that rolls through and sets off a snowstorm in Missouri and Illinois at 84. The other models mostly make that storm a nuisance. 

Yeah, that little piece out there has a little spunk .. 

png1.png

png2.png

• Admin
6 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Yeah.. I kept looking at the H5, comparing to RGEM and GFS and was like, cmon, this is close, what gives?

namconus_z500_vort_us_fh63_trend.gif

Surface doesn't seem as slow, might just be a little better consolidation of energy  not letting as much energy slip out ahead maybe.

Ok, can someone explain why, how, who, when, where, wth that tropical tidbits GFS shows I get 0 to 2 inches, yet, pivotal weather GFS shows I get 4 to 7 inches?

image.thumb.png.1b65e78fa1044844e1655829e5265e8e.png

image.thumb.png.b1f472329347c8674b44b1d16df0a6b4.png

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that I think the problem is that the NAM is handling the evolution of the upper levels wrong. Like all other models, we close off over Oklahoma/Kansas. Then we open back up and the NAM spits the bundle of energy out which ceases to really sync with our southern energy. The GFS, as an example, keeps 500 closed off longer into Iowa and although messy, the energy doesn't create a secondary wave. 

Edit: I want to make sure I clarify. I see our storm as wave 1 and the trailing energy as wave 2. What the NAM does is insert a new wave into the flow. between the two from opening up at 500mb. 

Edited by Psu1313
  • LIKE 2
  • TROPHY 1

1 minute ago, Psu1313 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that I think the problem is that the NAM is handling the evolution of the upper levels wrong. Like all other models, we close off over Oklahoma/Kansas. Then we open back up and the NAM spits the bundle of energy out which ceases to really sync with our southern energy. The GFS, as an example, keeps 500 closed off longer into Iowa and although messy, the energy doesn't create a secondary wave. 

In other words, NAM does not like blue

• LAUGH 1

5 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

That little piece of spunk out in IL/IN seems to be backfilling the snow in PA .. like @so_whats_happening @Poco alluded to earlier... what could that turn this into?

floop-nam-2024010400.ref1km_ptype.conus.gif

5 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

That little piece of spunk out in IL/IN seems to be backfilling the snow in PA .. like @so_whats_happening @Poco alluded to earlier... what could that turn this into?

floop-nam-2024010400.ref1km_ptype.conus.gif

Great catch there Clap. Tied what they were saying to this. Saw the backfill and was wondering.

• THUMBS UP 1