January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

2 minutes ago, 1816 said:

NGL....I'd totally go for a Wendy's burger or even a chili  right now.  They used to be the gold fkn standard.  

NGL We just bought a can of Wendy’s chili at the super market. 
pic for proof

image.jpg

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

It’s not a lot but it’s more than I’ve seen in a bit…

Always use snow depth, keep those expectations down, sun angle and all.

IMG_4649.thumb.png.12e5502dfe1607ea97cb3c5fd4368552.png IMG_4648.thumb.png.708afc211395c9250f5c074463d185ca.png

Edited by TLChip
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
Posted (edited)

Oh boy really treading that line down here. Still think we can manage something good but i feel it slipping through my fingers as im not so sure we beat our biggest storm in the last 2 years of 4".

@Harley8778gonna be a rough one.

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • MELTING 2

3 minutes ago, TLChip said:

NGL We just bought a can of Wendy’s chili at the super market. 
pic for proof

image.jpg

I'm going to pray for you just like those in Pittsburgh are praying that 1-3 turns into 2-4. 😛 

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
Posted (edited)

I had thought a few days ago a chambersburg to scranton snow axis storm seemed likely but was definitely getting some positives for a further east axis. Ill wait until thursday evening friday 12z runs though. Hopefully this is a sign for more to come in the near future.

Edited by so_whats_happening

2 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Oh boy really treading that line down here. Still think we can manage something good but i feel it slipping through my fingers as im not so sure we beat our biggest storm in the last 2 years of 4".

@Harley8778gonna be a rough one.

1 minute ago, Psu1313 said:

I'm going to pray for you just like those in Pittsburgh are praying that 1-3 turns into 2-4. 😛 

I feel for  the Pennsylvania peeps watching this turn into cotton candy. A couple days ago Virginia looked like a lock for some nice snow.  But it only took a few runs to remind me about the only thing slipping through our fingers is gonna be some sleet and freezing drizzle.  I think we all need some more time. Late Jan before the real storms show up.  Enjoy what ever you get right now.  

• LIKE 2

On 1/2/2024 at 11:24 AM, Rickrd said:

Last 5 GfS clown maps. Shows you that each run is quicker and a bit more NW each run. 

IMG_8409.gif

30 hours ago, this was the trend. Crazy…

7 minutes ago, 1816 said:

A couple days ago Virginia looked like a lock for some nice snow

Edited by TLChip
  • SHIVERING 1

Well I can’t beat my storm of 13” of exactly two years ago.  Especially as all of the experts say few flakes and rain…

2 years ago today. 

IMG_2075.jpeg

IMG_2079.jpeg

IMG_2076.jpeg

• LIKE 2
  • SNOWMAN 4
  • LOVE 2

1 minute ago, NEPAsnow said:

gfs against the world, who are you taking?

1 minute ago, NEPAsnow said:

gfs against the world, who are you taking?

Morgan freeman voice: "we do not, in fact, take the gfs."  

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
13 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I feel for  the Pennsylvania peeps watching this turn into cotton candy. A couple days ago Virginia looked like a lock for some nice snow.  But it only took a few runs to remind me about the only thing slipping through our fingers is gonna be some sleet and freezing drizzle.  I think we all need some more time. Late Jan before the real storms show up.  Enjoy what ever you get right now.  

Yea it is just not a strong enough cold pool to sustain the warmth flowing in. Not to say i wont get something up here, which is honestly going to be nice to see, but the more typical cold locations will probably win out as well as elevation. All good here is to hoping we get setups like this in the near future.

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, so_whats_happening said:

Yea it is just not a strong enough cold pool to sustain the warmth flowing in. Not to say i wont get something up here, which is honestly going to be nice to see, but the more typical cold locations will probably win out as well as elevation. All good here is to hoping we get setups like this in the near future.

We will. It's not going to be a dumpster fire year but it will test people's patience. I think another 2 weeks is all we need then it's gonna be on. 

• Meteorologist
9 minutes ago, 1816 said:

We will. It's not going to be a dumpster fire year but it will test people's patience. I think another 2 weeks is all we need then it's gonna be on. 

All i can say for now is it will be interesting to watch unfold. Lol i know typical vague response from a met.

As of now it's 3 to 6 inches west of 95. 6 to 8 i80 and west of 287 and city is probably a slushy 2 inches. Seems reasonable if you blend the models (at this point). Shore points probably ends as white rain with no accumulation.

Edited by mikeysed
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, LUCC said:

Not worried in CNJ, this is our storm! 💩

Not sure what you are seeing, but I'm seeing a huge cut off in Monmouth county, to the point we might only see flurries 

• &$!#% 1

56 minutes ago, Penn State said:

I see a couple new followers already! That’s awesome. Also.. If there’s ever any content that you want featured (thread or event), you can always reach-out to me, and I’ll do my best to Tweet about it. I’m afraid that alone, I may be Mid-Atlantic biased, and want to promote weather events from around the U.S. and internationally that matter to all of our members.

Followed!

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

GFS H5 trend over the past week, since 12/27.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh78_trend.gif

I am curious of what the models are trying to do with the remaining energy on whether it comes through with something or is just a dud.

• THINKING 1

• Admin

The mid level lows really deepen when they hit the coast.  Still have to home in where and when that happens,a week as the track of the initial ripple

H7

ecmwf_z700_vort_eus_fh78-108.gif

gfs_z700_vort_eus_fh78-108.gif

2 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

GFS H5 trend over the past week, since 12/27.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh78_trend.gif

This might get weird the next day or so lol.  That Midwest energy could slow down a transfer and ring out the moisture.  Nam should fill in if trend continues 

• LIKE 3