January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

2 hours ago, MaineJay said:

There's still something to track, there's still changes that will happen. I know that it doesn't look as sexy, and chasing the big one is quite fun. But, chatting weather with fellow geeks, studying the models, and comparing, looking for the clues to what's driving the solutions, there's value in that.  

So let's not get too down.  The best storms aren't always forecasted with pin point accuracy from D8. They tormented us, zagging when you thought they would zig, only to zag at the last minute, a sneaky northern stream shortwave that "gets it done".

I know we aren't always the funniest, and some of us could probably use a shower, but I hope folks stick around no matter where the models go from here, and "talk shop".

Seeing everyone post has been fun— it reminded me of the Accu days and Wx Disco through January 2022. I still follow the northeast threads, even though St. Louis seldom has even digital snow to look forward to. I think there should be a third category called phantom digital snow.

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 4

3 minutes ago, SnowloverSid said:

Seeing everyone post has been fun— it reminded me of the Accu days and Wx Disco through January 2022. I still follow the northeast threads, even though St. Louis seldom has even digital snow to look forward to. I think there should be a third category called phantom digital snow.

image.png.99249a6a3af1c1a29f3faccfd75ede02.png

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Penn State said:

00z ICON looked decent.. 

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh60-120.thumb.gif.14d9ce39e17c8801d6e7415cc2b25386.gif

One of the previous maps had 6.9 inches of snow for Long Island.  I knew that was a stretch and figured that would change.

• Social Media Crew
Posted (edited)

Unfortunately.. thus far on the GFS, weaker, less sharp, quicker. Probably SE too. 

But.. it hangs around a good bit late. Something odd about this run, like there’s something missing or something changing. 

floop-gfs-2024010300.prateptype_cat-imp.conus.gif.34238a7979ae19cfacb597602d13b142.gif

Edited by Penn State
  • LIKE 2

Just now, Penn State said:

All in all.. not bad.. Did you notice how it hung around though?

Yes sir. There's a lot of time for this yet to iron out. Models are not jiving with the teleconnections from what I'm reading. 

• LIKE 3

• Social Media Crew
Just now, Rickrd said:

Yes sir. There's a lot of time for this yet to iron out. Models are not jiving with the teleconnections from what I'm reading. 

-NAO. I saw that too. Hmm.. 

2 minutes ago, Penn State said:

-NAO. I saw that too. Hmm.. 

Storm is running into a block. so models need to sort that out. Thats why there's more time for this to flip and flop.

• Social Media Crew
5 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

I'm curious about the storm on the 9TH!

There’s a thread for that! That one’s getting close to being something.