January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Solid 7” here in Bushkill Twsp. Had about 45 mins of sleet and rain last night which pushed it down a bit. 
still snowing light to mod this morning.
Now to clean it up or wait 2 days and let Mother Nature do it via rain. 
not sure when our next one is coming, this Wednesday is a miss but maybe next weekend. 
pic is as of right now mod to heavy snow!
Good luck to our friends in NE with storm. 
GO JETS!

IMG_8531.jpeg

Glad you are rooting for you team!  Lots of Pats fans want them to lose for a better draft pick. I hate that.  Hope it's absolutely dumping for the game.

Glad this it's on the weekend. The light snow is making for some tough visibility when the wind gusts, which are becoming more frequent.

• LIKE 2

The snow has increased in size and intensity.  22ºF is the current temperature with a 19ºF windchill.  All I plan to do this afternoon is feed the wood stove, nap during the NFL games and sports blather, and attend to HH.  Maybe concoct a Tito's® slush or 2🤪  

Edited by jbrumberg
  • LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

14 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Glad you are rooting for you team!  Lots of Pats fans want them to lose for a better draft pick. I hate that.  Hope it's absolutely dumping for the game.

Glad this it's on the weekend. The light snow is making for some tough visibility when the wind gusts, which are becoming more frequent.

Me too! Hope it dumps on them! They both suck! 
unfortunately they won’t broadcast here! 😡

• &$!#% 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
56 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

Like Narnia out there. Only second ice event this year which is nothing and it sure is pretty. 

For @MaineJay pictures in Cascade, MD between 1500-2100' elevation

20240107_092537.jpg

20240107_091219.jpg

Even the power lines look nice.... Yes yes, I know. Nerd 😎😎

• LAUGH 3

Now that it’s quieting down , i urge everyone to take a little time and practice your meme navigation. It will help speed up the thread . I practiced myself this morning. Last night , by the time i got to those ones on the left i had veered almost 3 posts off course. 

• LAUGH 3

6 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Now that it’s quieting down , i urge everyone to take a little time and practice your meme navigation. It will help speed up the thread . I practiced myself this morning. Last night , by the time i got to those ones on the left i had veered almost 3 posts off course. 

becoming-your-parents-dr-rick.gif

• LAUGH 3
  • TROPHY 2

• Moderators

Rough night of sleep, getting sick with a sinus thing, or covid.

Finally got up to measure the 2" of snow we had with 0.32 water content. 

I had countless model runs in the last 4 days showing at least 6" of snow and at least 0.6" of qpf. While there's still time for more, will it be impactful?  I haven't gone back to radar loops, but will chalk it up to a lower snow ratio, and dry slot.  2" with a winterstorm warning is a classic bust.  Shouldn't be happening.  But if we always knew what the weather would be, it wouldn't be as interesting, right?

• LIKE 1
  • SAD 1
  • THUMBS UP 3

15 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

Even the power lines look nice.... Yes yes, I know. Nerd 😎😎

I nerd out on those too. We just put that new 3 phase run in! Last year's ice storms did so much damage to them. 

• LIKE 2

• Admin
1 minute ago, MDBlueridge said:

I nerd out on those too. We just put that new 3 phase run in! Last year's ice storms did so much damage to them. 

You really really really about get my nerd out. I am simultaneously fascinated and terrified of power lines and electricity (Lightning loves me lol, and I have been shocked before by residential stupidity on my end). 

I'm guessing you replaced the main panel also.. Siemens or Square D? 

• LIKE 1

9 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

You really really really about get my nerd out. I am simultaneously fascinated and terrified of power lines and electricity (Lightning loves me lol, and I have been shocked before by residential stupidity on my end). 

I'm guessing you replaced the main panel also.. Siemens or Square D? 

It has been case by case past the weatherhead. We've left old screw in GE panels and used D's, arc faults etc. Winter is our natural tree trimming service up here as the old timers say, but the power lines, transformers, insulators take a real beating each season. It's a very common problem from here west at elevation. We've taken some underground, but can be prohibitive with the water, sewer, gas work we have to do. Power poles and overhead lines are cheap to install and even easier to trouble shoot. Nerdy derdy derdy

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

Weird. Was telling a friend of mine who lives on a mountain about 5 miles south of Tamaqua. Told him to expect 8-10 inches.  He said he thought they only had around 3 inches as of around 8 pm. Now he hadn’t actually gone outside. Seems really low? Trained spotter here in New Tripoli had us at 7.5 before today’s lighter stuff.

• LIKE 2

1 minute ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Weird. Was telling a friend of mine who lives on a mountain about 5 miles south of Tamaqua. Told him to expect 8-10 inches.  He said he thought they only had around 3 inches as of around 8 pm. Now he hadn’t actually gone outside. Seems really low? Trained spotter here in New Tripoli had us at 7.5 before today’s lighter stuff.

Send him this and call shenanigans

image.png.8c1a4c95362dbf34aa263248c48b73bc.png

image.thumb.png.a2e2a805cbaf886e43c225ccf66b4546.png

• LIKE 1

• Admin
10 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

It has been case by case past the weatherhead. We've left old screw in GE panels and used D's, arc faults etc. Winter is our natural tree trimming service up here as the old timers say, but the power lines, transformers, insulators take a real beating each season. It's a very common problem from here west at elevation. We've taken some underground, but can be prohibitive with the water, sewer, gas work we have to do. Power poles and overhead lines are cheap to install and even easier to trouble shoot. Nerdy derdy derdy

Overhead lines are falling out of fashion, as you know, but buried power lines have a host of problems no one likes to address. 

Side note - during Isaias, a distribution line fell on my driveway and front yard and PSEG decided it would be a nice lawn decoration for 3+ days. Got some very up close look at theone itself. Then I watched my neighbor bare hand it and I nearly passed out hahaha. He was so clueless about how close he came to being, well, "tada it's... Gone." (name that movie) 

• LIKE 1

2 observations

1.  Should have checked that we were gonna get another 1-2” this morning before cleaning up.

2.  My chute on the blower stinks. Real bad 🤦‍♂️😩

It’s as if it hasn’t snowed in 2+ years here…oh wait 

• LAUGH 3

Backend snows... huuuuhhh? never seen those work out

Still ripping out there, have to be nearing a foot, at least 10 inches so far. 

Hope it does hang in there long enough for the game! 

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

It is snowing pretty heavily here ATM.  8.00" measured so far.  22ºF the current temperature with a 19ºF windchill.

Edited by jbrumberg
  • LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2

4 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Looks like some 30dBZ near @buxtonianand @MainelySnow. Should be at least 1-2"/ hour there. Hoping it can fight it's way about 20-25 miles NE.

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-GYX-N0B-20240107-1221-24-100.thumb.gif.c6d1c3219f0cd0674cf0cfaf864e1ca1.gif

It's only started picking up again here in the past 30 minutes.  Been in a pseudo-dry slot since I got up at 8:30.  So far, been a bit disappointed with the overall snow rates.  Oh well, winter is yet young....

• DISAPPOINTED 2
  • SAD 1