January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

14.9? My face hurts just thinking about those values. 

2nd or 3rd coldest morning of the season, only below 10° once.  I don't let anyone here complain about being cold without reminding them how "good" they've have it. 

Maybe it was 2018 (give it take a year, they all blend together) where we were at like 15-20° below zero ever morning for almost a week, so, perspective.

I know most here are cold and snow fans, so I want to phrase that properly.

Hoping for enough to get the sledding hill going for the kiddos, l it's a bit "boney" if there's not enough cover.  Had feet it last year, so it wasn't a problem, they are getting antsy about it though.

• LIKE 2

• Admin

HRRR trend should help some in the SNE battle ground, at least from a cold perspective.

Definitely correcting to some lower dews. I always thought that would eat into our totals up here.

hrrr_Td2m_neus_fh2_trend(2).thumb.gif.20aa8c088feb1fb0a8f96855ea7ae5b8.gif

• Admin

Just judging by the satellite and radar imagery, they mid levels just now look like they are trying to close off and create circulations.

Always awesome when you can see the gulf stream on shortwave IR.

ezgif-1-df2de2676c.gif.f4e5c0f71535e3e878bd8559ecdba0a0.gif

Radar is trying to blossom.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-regional-northeast-comp_radar-12_00Z-20240107_map_noBar-29-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.5a16d031d205550c6b652a2f38d26edf.gif

H7 probably waiting for that trailing wave.

Screenshot_20240107-070723.thumb.png.bcedd8da95aa59d239ac3f38a2e58d52.png

H8 maybe next hour or 2 here.

Screenshot_20240107-070707.thumb.png.dda6868ff78ede3d8c2ca8cec59d6be3.png

• LIKE 1

• Admin

I know my Pats stink, though I do like our defense, but I'm looking forward to this game, I'm hoping it's ripping.  I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so I know how to root for a crappy team.  

Kick off.

hrrr_ref_frzn_neus_7.thumb.png.e31fdc957f2e6d92f649507b6a5e3932.png

Could be worse though, I could be a Jets fan. 

giphy(26).gif.8ef7d84b7c6711a9c3e0f1f672ac9a51.gif

Yes, shots fired.

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

6 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I know my Pats stink, though I do like our defense, but I'm looking forward to this game, I'm hoping it's ripping.  I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so I know how to root for a crappy team.  

Kick off.

hrrr_ref_frzn_neus_7.thumb.png.e31fdc957f2e6d92f649507b6a5e3932.png

Could be worse though, I could be a Jets fan. 

giphy(26).gif.8ef7d84b7c6711a9c3e0f1f672ac9a51.gif

Yes, shots fired.

🙋‍♂️

…and Mets (baseball that is, unlike you weather Mets). Setting expectations really low for snowstorms is quite easy when you root for these 2 teams.  

• TROPHY 2

My back is killin me from yesterday and all I did was clear a path (twice) out to the snowboard. 

On a related note (ok, only kinda) when I was in PC, I watched as some poor schlep had to remove the sand that had blown from the beach onto a restaurant walkway.  There was so much that he used a grain-hog to complete the task. 

I guess no one is exempt from having to deal with shoveling 4 letter S words - even if you live at the equator

image.png.75901442a4e59ef82d25532c994b100b.png

• LAUGH 1

1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

My back is killin me from yesterday and all I did was clear a path (twice) out to the snowboard. 

On a related note (ok, only kinda) when I was in PC, I watched as some poor schlep had to remove the sand that had blown from the beach onto a restaurant walkway.  There was so much that he used a grain-hog to complete the task. 

I guess no one is exempt from having to deal with shoveling 4 letter S words - even if you live at the equator

Wait until you go out today to shovel. All that mixed precip has now made a shovelful weigh about 50 pounds.  I definitely got a good workout in before work... 

• SAD 1

8 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

My relatives all who grew up on a farm  always used that for snow removal.  You bring back some ancient memories. 

1 minute ago, Wtkidz said:

My relatives all who grew up on a farm  always used that for snow removal.  You bring back some ancient memories. 

Up until 4 years ago, that is all we used here if we shoveled. My first "job" was on a dairy farm and those were indispensable - had to have at least 5 of them around for various tasks. 🙂

Well we have since we stayed above freezing  when we had precipitation , a freezing fog advisory. Looks like typical low budget horror film. 

‘from LWX 

...FREEZING FOG ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS
MORNING...

* WHAT...Visibility one quarter mile or less in freezing fog.

* WHERE...Portions of central and northern Virginia and the
  central Shenandoah Valley.

* WHEN...Until 9 AM EST this morning.

* IMPACTS...Hazardous driving conditions due to low visibility and
  potential frost on bridges. Residual moisture from precipitation
  on Saturday is also likely resulting in ice on untreated
  surfaces.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If driving, slow down, use your headlights, and leave plenty of
distance ahead of you. Also, be alert for icy roadways, especially
on bridge decks.

• YUCK 1

• Admin
15 minutes ago, bwala said:

Wait until you go out today to shovel. All that mixed precip has now made a shovelful weigh about 50 pounds.  I definitely got a good workout in before work... 

Pixie dust up here at 14.5°

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Up until 4 years ago, that is all we used here if we shoveled. My first "job" was on a dairy farm and those were indispensable - had to have at least 5 of them around for various tasks. 🙂

Yeah my mom grew up near you in near Indian Town Gap. In the borough of Jonestown.  The farmhouse she grew up has long be gone.  I still remember being snowed up there  with the same type of storm you had yesterday back in the mid 60’s.  We built snow forts and missed a week of school. We lived in northern Virginia at that time so I am not sure if they had storms are not. 

• LOVE 1

19 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

Yeah my mom grew up near you in near Indian Town Gap. In the borough of Jonestown.  The farmhouse she grew up has long be gone.  I still remember being snowed up there  with the same type of storm you had yesterday back in the mid 60’s.  We built snow forts and missed a week of school. We lived in northern Virginia at that time so I am not sure if they had storms are not. 

Since it's slow RN I'll reply here. 

Yes Fort IG is directly out the Blue Mtn ridge line from Chez Moi and is often the closest METAR data and most similar to my conditions because of that. I spent many days in the junk yards of Jonestown to get parts when I was so poor that I had to hold cars together with cut up soup cans and bailing twine. 

The mid 60's winters here rocked HARD and lead me to believe it would "always be snowy from Nov to Apr.