January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

10 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Heck of a battle of precip types here atop UTS Hill - sleet winning mostly, snow not giving it up entirely

Yes.  Backed off with some sleet in Carlisle, but more snow has picked up.  5:44pm  Still 30 F  97% Humidity.  Falling precipitation has some sleet, but the snow is dryer.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

2.6", 0.6" last hour.  Terrible small flakes. Need a last minute miracle to get what I thought would be low end of 5"

I'll send your assistance back then.

snobalinplow.jpg.7c525b9c817d9d52819c23db0e6d308a.jpg

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 1

• Social Media Crew

Well.. we had a tremendous burst of snow, followed by sleet and freezing rain.. 31° and a final of about 6.5-7”. That heavy burst was awesome! 
IMG_4620.thumb.jpeg.784f99ba3af3a4ce2a7f25111a7adfe6.jpeg

• LIKE 3
  • SNOWMAN 1
  • LOVE 4

Here in Gap PA on the Lancaster/Chester County line we switched over from snow to sleet/freezing rain around 1:00pm and has been frozen since. Wasn’t expecting such a prolonged sleet and freezing rain event. Never got a burst of heavy snow transitioning to rain. Started as moderate snow for an hour or two and turned to sleet and freezing rain all afternoon. Roads were terrible. 

• LIKE 2

Got just about 0.5" of snow here before the transition to rain. Disappointing but as expected... been so tough to get a real snowstorm here for the past couple of years. Temp stuck at 33 degrees with moderate rain right now.

• DISAPPOINTED 1
  • &$!#% 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

We are at 3”. Mod snow now. Radar sleet line backed off past hour. If we get 6 or 7, I consider it a victory. Still a lot going on and wrap around to come early morning. 

36 minutes ago, WeatherFlash said:

The meso discussion makes me feel we should see some backfill or a pivot of sorts to extend for a couple hours..we'll see. Im also keeping my eye on the correlation coefficient for that mix down south.

Not sure where you are at, but here, even in E PA not gonna pivot in time i fear, so earlier round 1 end. That being said, i was at 3.6 about 10 minutes ago and just dumping. So we near 4. Luving it!