January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

Just now, mkmcfrlnd said:

Binghamton tuned down the forecast total for Wyoming Valley (PA) to 4-6" with their latest update.

Started off gangbusters here, and has slowed down a lot, so I can see why.

John Hickey (formerly of WNEP) also tweeted earlier that he expects mixing as we get into evening due to warmer air aloft.

the Treaded TROWAL

Just now, PA road DAWG said:

the Treaded TROWAL

I'm ok with it, we'll still make our dinner reservations this evening. With the slowdown i imagine the road crews will catch up pretty quick.

33 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

@RTC3-LAST CHANCE .. you have a point on that back edge.  If the CTP discussion that says like 5-9pm is going to be our best rates here Williamsport/east, going to need some back-fill or at least slow the progression east.. which is seems like it's trying to back-fill in Altoona.  If not, we're gonna shut off here about 6:30ish in my area.

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-CCX-N0B-20240106-2123-24-100.gif

Man its racing 

1 minute ago, WeatherFlash said:

Man its racing 

Yeah .. some back fill west of State College and the dendrites have improved quite a bit in the past few minutes .. would like to see these larger flakes for the next 2 hours.. here's hoping.  Hopefully this pans out as expect, or we are definitely low-ending it, at least here.  (Low end I was thinking was 5")

27 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

And so it begins.  JK lol, it has already began.  This is crash #5 since 1400 hrs 

IMG_0075.jpeg

Pictures like that make me sooooo happy I'm retired.  Hated taking accident reports for morons who should have known to just stay the hell home until the storm is over.  God forbid they stay home for the day until the storm passes and roads are cleared.

• LIKE 2

4 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Yeah .. some back fill west of State College and the dendrites have improved quite a bit in the past few minutes .. would like to see these larger flakes for the next 2 hours.. here's hoping.  Hopefully this pans out as expect, or we are definitely low-ending it, at least here.  (Low end I was thinking was 5")

Yea Clap hope people don’t shoot me , but think we low end. This is flying, and just don’t see it pivoting in time. So think we low end. Over here we may get some late backfill as it blows up over the ocean, but lighter stuff. 

• Admin
10 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Really need to close off circulations at H7 and H8 to really backfill.  

• TROPHY 2

Very light flurries and sleet overtaking at 653', as of 1715.

Maybe 1" of accumulation since 2PM, no board but that's what the eyeball on patio furniture tells me

Edited by mkmcfrlnd

19 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

The meso discussion makes me feel we should see some backfill or a pivot of sorts to extend for a couple hours..we'll see. Im also keeping my eye on the correlation coefficient for that mix down south.