January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Admin
2 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

@MaineJay what are you thinking for your hilltop? HRRR & RGEM look robust in your backyard...

I'm thinking it's going to be better than 15:1 ratio.  For a while, I was thinking 3-5" would be the high end, but now I'm in the 6-9 camp".  I can also see a scenario where it's closer to 20:1 and we gin up a foot on just 0.6" of QPF.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, WxLvr321 said:

Well said.

Formerly known as Turtle321 on other not- to- be- named sites, it's wonderful to be lurking and learning again. Hopefully everyone gets what they want from this storm, and hello!

Welcome back Turtle.  Still waiting probably 90 mins or so before it starts up here. 

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

You're having a rough day Stretch...

Starting and positioning the snowblower for the first time in a season is NOT having a rough day!  It's JOYOUS!!!

Shopping and moving the woodpiles around... that is less joyous.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

4 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Welcome back Turtle.  Still waiting probably 90 mins or so before it starts up here. 

Hey neighbor!

Yep, watching radar. It's knocking on our door!!

• LIKE 1

5 minutes ago, Rush said:

My kids have been out sledding on 1" of sleet in a 33 degree rain for about an hour now.  Need some real snow lol.

The boys, 13 & 10, were able to make some snowballs and have a fight. Hopefully we will get a decent snowstorm soon!! 

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

Can Anybody recommend a good website for radar for dbz viewing?   I don’t want that blue snow look.  I want it all green for dbz viewing 

I love the COD sat/radar site. You can get your local nexrad

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/?parms=CCX-N0B-0-24-100-usa-rad

Or a mosaic.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=continental-conus-comp_radar-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

• Moderators

Storm appears to be over here. Busted low on the 1-2" we were projected to get (only saw a few flakes in the heavier bands), though we probably got enough sleet and freezing rain to bring our QPF up to the 0.6-0.8" the models showed. Too much warm air and an unfavorable low placement for our area.

Congrats to those who are getting some of the magic white stuff. 

• SAD 1
  • &$!#% 1

1 minute ago, Tater said:

Storm appears to be over here. Busted low on the 1-2" we were projected to get (only saw a few flakes in the heavier bands), though we probably got enough sleet and freezing rain to bring our QPF up to the 0.6-0.8" the models showed. Too much warm air and an unfavorable low placement for our area.

Congrats to those who are getting some of the magic white stuff. 

Where are you located?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Blizz said:

Where are you located?

Timberville, VA. You can look at the red X on my profile pic.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, SquallBall said:

Anyone here out of metro NYC? Wondering what’s happening over that way in places like Brooklyn and Staten Island. Coming down at a good clip here in the Bethlehem area of the Lehigh Valley.

Safe bet it started there with reports all around.  Probably light

image.thumb.png.0b2230a5d87b5dca7978f5abd79ce09d.png

• THANKS 1

The Times Square cam is showing flakes falling.  Or it did about 10 minutes ago.

Times Square Cam

We've got a rogue snow shower moving through that is well ahead of the main system.  We've picked up about a 1/2" from some snow overnight and this snow shower.  Current temp is 19F.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1