January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Moderators
Just now, Uscg Ast said:

Given the set up, I think we are seeing the baroclynicity at work. The storm wants to hug the coast more, which means overrun to dry slot due to h7. Combine that with the quasi coastal front like enhancement and I think this is what you are seeing here. 

FDS - should have thought of that.

• LIKE 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Tater said:

Sleet rate picked up and we finally got a few flakes mixed in. Not enough to accumulate, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

TROWALs are great at producing sleet.

22 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Glad you're not my surgeon....

Same thing happens to me sometimes.  I'm wondering if we can rearrange the emojis so the less popular ones are all the way to the left.  

Workaround .. when the bar comes up, right click, then you can click whatever you want on the left, even if you don't have a steady hand.  🙂

• LIKE 2
  • THANKS 1

31 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

My bud who just left my house, reports it is snowing in Harrisburg proper

Timing seems on track like driving on a highway .. should be about 2 hours til up here now.. 12:30-1:00 snow commencement is still on track.

• LIKE 2

1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

Timing seems on track like driving on a highway .. should be about 2 hours til up here now.. 12:30-1:00 snow commencement is still on track.

yep, very much like that. It sticks as soon as it falls, already have a nice coating here.

28.3F/ Wind Var

• SNOWMAN 2

After you have opened the Old No. 7 and drank enough, should you put the cap on tight and store it in the fridge or just put it back on the shelf where it came from.  Asking for a friend.

5 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

yep, very much like that. It sticks as soon as it falls, already have a nice coating here.

28.3F/ Wind Var

3 minutes ago, eddygeeme said:

Light to moderate snow IMBY Germantown 

Love to hear it!  🙂 

7 minutes ago, eddygeeme said:

Light to moderate snow IMBY Germantown 

Moderate to heavy snow for the last hour in Middletown.  Need about another 1.5 hours of this to suit the kids up and dust the sleds off.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

I had 15 minutes of sleet  at about 8:00 am and has now been all rain. Joys of the southern part of Northern Virginia. 50  miles south and a bit west  of DC. 

• DISAPPOINTED 1
  • SAD 1
  • YUCK 1

While it doesn't snow you snow/rain, I've always like this one in the tool box to see where the highest rates are.  Generally, the green, when snow, I've found to be 1"+ rates.  The darker the green, the better.  Sometimes in pancake flake situations, you might get yellow even when it's all snow.

https://sirocco.accuweather.com/nx_mosaic_640x480c/RE/inmaREPA_.gif

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-CCX-N0B-20240106-1555-24-100.gif

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

Explain.... For our other members of course. *cough, cough*

Perhaps the easiest way to describe is to explain the acronym. TROf of Warmth ALoft, though I may be butchering it slightly.

The warm punch is able to creating a melting later, but leave enough soon freezing atmosphere below to refreeze. 

The cold surface air is slower to erode, or it can even strengthen depending on surfaces features and topography.  

I try to think of the layers of the atmosphere as spinning discs that are slightly (sometimes majorly) misaligned.

I'll try to explain more later, especially if folks have questions. Just a little busy unfortunately.

• THANKS 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 2

1 hour ago, Weathertop said:

Let’s see how long us North central MD and South central PA folks can hang on.

IMG_8270.gif

850-700 mb line (yellow) slowly creeping closer to Mason-Dixon line in the last hour or so.
Initiating force shield to stop its progress.

IMG_8277.gif