January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

About 30.5 - 31 degrees here. No signs that there was any snow or sleet at any point. Just straight up zr happening.  Nice glaze on cars. Sidewalk is iced up. Not close to the road and not going out there. 

So at least for this area, models have been bang on the thermals for the last 2 or 3 days, no surprises here. 

What do you call a pig with three eyes?

Piiig

Edited by 1816

Hi everyone! Glad to be lurking again for another snow event. A nice *crisp* 25 degrees this morning here in Emmaus, PA. 

We have two St. Bernards who have not seen a decent snow event yet (they’re 2), so fingers are crossed for this event. 🤞 

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • SNOWMAN 2

16 minutes ago, KingTer said:

Wow!  Snow totals are up to 8-14" for NW New Jersey (Sussex County)

• Today

3"-5"

Mostly Cloudy
    then Heavy
    Snow

High: 33 °F

• Tonight

5"-9"

Heavy Snow

Low: 29 °F

• Sunday

1"

Snow Likely
    then Chance
    Rain/Snow

High: 35 °F

7-Day Forecast 41.19N 74.47W.html 75.67 kB · 2 downloads

I think it snows in NWNJ during July. 🙄🙄

• LAUGH 1

1 hour ago, Wtkidz said:

Well if only we could get  hail I could have a pick 5. 

Stafford County

Today
Rain, freezing rain, snow and sleet this morning, then rain this afternoon. Patchy fog this morning. Patchy fog this afternoon. Precipitation may be heavy at times this morning. Little or no snow and sleet accumulation. Ice accumulation of up to a tenth of an inch. Highs in the upper 30s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph, becoming northeast 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph this afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

No Yatzees for you 😀

• LIKE 1

12z HRRR skew-t's at moderate snow start, sleet change over, snow change over, rain change over. Looks like a close battle but the warm nose pokes through and starts to bring the warm air down in the next few

Moderate snow start

GPoM91g.png

Warm nose starts zr

5EcbQQO.png

Snow again? I dunno about this.

8nNI7VN.png

bye bye cold air

kWPc4Us.png

• LIKE 1

7 hours ago, Blizz said:

Wow, I wonder how close in meteorological terms were we from a much bigger snowstorm seeing that low crawl up the coast but not have a significant left side. I know some people earlier in the week were talking about some analogs hinting at similar setups being NESIS level. Probably just a little bit (but in reality a lot) off....

I snipped this 2 days ago, close to a big event.

Spoiler

firefox_sQZmV66fWB.thumb.png.972556290ca19803c2a8ee950eaa44eb.png

Edited by TLChip
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

12 HRRR snows through the afternoon tomorrow with the back piece which appear on most models now. Even that has rates up to 2" per hour in spots. It goes all the way back towards Binghamton and JDC. Hope this feature actually materializes.

hrrr-nystate-refc_ptype-1704542400-1704546000-1704693600-40.thumb.gif.b817690bf9bf0cbe7ab615e87a39fb2f.gif

• SHOCKED 1

• Moderators

Oh that Euro trend looks really weird. Heavier shift west, light amounts at the coast.

Spoiler

trend-ecmwf_full-2024010606-f048.qpf_048h-imp.us_ne.gif.961e1f24ff6b6f5109f5c2f61081502d.gif

GFS precip is holding steady, maybe a S and E shift of the heaviest.

Spoiler

trend-gfs-2024010606-f048.qpf_048h-imp.us_ne.gif.8cfb29c5812249aa09ee1b49e84c6658.gif

NAM eased off, positionally ok, but kinda supports the Euro with a hole in the NY Metro/LI

Spoiler

trend-nam-2024010606-f048.qpf_048h-imp.us_ne.gif.ecafe9d5fc3e577718e8d8bb90fc7bf5.gif

RGEM pretty steady amount and position.  Maybe a little to the S and E with the heavier axis.

Spoiler

trend-rdps-2024010606-f048.qpf_048h-imp.us_ne.gif.041dea93c8d40177a97d3c51ca807178.gif

• LIKE 2

• Social Media Crew

Just an observation.. but there may be some virga to start. MRMS with RALA shows some blues and greens over Franklin county, but I can verify nothing is falling yet. Clouds thickening though. 

Left for the grocery this morning around 7:45 and it was 25° out. Hour and a half later and we're up to 29°. Weather app says a high of 34 today but the hour by hour has us getting up to 38 😂

2 hours ago, JDClapper said:

Random question .. for those when using a laptop/PC and you go to select an emoji, is it super sensitive to you going off the bar and disappearing?  Sometimes it takes me 4 or 5 tries to get an emoji on the far-left side lol  No issues on phone, just laptop.

I have that same issue here. It's super annoying. Was going to ask yesterday but figured it was just a me issue. Need to have a real steady hand to make it all the way across 

• LIKE 1
  • SKEPTICAL 1
  • SAD 1

2 minutes ago, cer5059 said:

I have that same issue here. It's super annoying. Was going to ask yesterday but figured it was just a me issue. Need to have a real steady hand to make it all the way across 

I struggle on my phone

• THUMBS UP 1