December 17-19, 2023 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew

One thing is certainly clear.. no matter how you slice it, this is one powerful nor'easter potential. The GDPS had a 966 low off the Carolinas. By all accounts, looks like rain for everyone, but there will likely be a coastal flooding and wind threat. models-2023121200-f144.sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.gif.3cd007d45d30f412cc82c3084bf3eb44.gif

• LIKE 1

• Social Media Crew
57 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

Euro sheds 25+ mb's in less than 24 hours as it rides up the coast but makes/draws no cold air on NW side in December?

well see. 

It's crazy.. All of these years we've been on the forum, and we talk about storms producing their own cold air. We've even had hurricanes, like Sandy in October, that drew in cold air for snow in the mountains. Yet.. this does nothing. I have wondered.. well, let's say the cold air does arrive. How strong does that make this thing? If the CMC was 966 as a stand alone feature, with one phase, are we talking like 945 with another? 

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, StretchCT said:

I see why it goes boom, but it's still incredible that there's no cold air to assist.  It's pure energy.

ecmwf_z500_vort_eus_fh99-174.thumb.gif.a743bd04b916a5986798d939cda194e1.gif

850 makes it look warm core

ecmwf_T850_eus_fh120-168.thumb.gif.bfba650c918a0110cd8f6319c3bb7325.gif

Cuban low?

I think the writing is on the wall with this one. (Sarcasm) All I see on social media is about the TORCH next week and how all of North America will be way above average on temps.

I'd like to have hope this would pan out, but it's not looking good. IMO.

• SAD 2
  • FIRE 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

I see why it goes boom, but it's still incredible that there's no cold air to assist.  It's pure energy.

ecmwf_z500_vort_eus_fh99-174.thumb.gif.a743bd04b916a5986798d939cda194e1.gif

850 makes it look warm core

ecmwf_T850_eus_fh120-168.thumb.gif.bfba650c918a0110cd8f6319c3bb7325.gif

That last frame on the 850 when the L is over CT is close.  The only problem with wishing that the cold air arrives sooner is that it might end up bumping the storm out to sea or into the Maritimes as the flow from that is W to E.  We'd need that trough dropping in  with the cold to drop further south

• LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1

40 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

That last frame on the 850 when the L is over CT is close.  The only problem with wishing that the cold air arrives sooner is that it might end up bumping the storm out to sea or into the Maritimes as the flow from that is W to E.  We'd need that trough dropping in  with the cold to drop further south

Bingo. It needs to happen sooner. A monster with no cold air phase in December

• SAD 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

It’s going to be three giant storms that cover the northern hemisphere in snow. Cold hurricanes w/eye dropping down extremely cold air… we all know where I’m going… 🤣

Seriously though even with the temps being a week out we have time for some good changes. 

• LIKE 3

8 minutes ago, TLChip said:

It’s going to be three giant storms that cover the northern hemisphere in snow. Cold hurricanes w/eye dropping down extremely cold air… we all know where I’m going… 🤣

Seriously though even with the temps being a week out we have time for some good changes. 

Somebody better check the amoc current. Stat!

• CYCLONE 1