December 17-19, 2023 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Storm

Penn State

4 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Here's comes that low level jet.  Winds are already getting a little spicy out there, and the meat and potatoes are still a couple hours away from me.  

LI getting the brunt currently.

nam3km_mslp_uv850_neus_fh3-21.thumb.gif.23a0a23a96a6be28cd2137ec4d7dacb9.gif

Telling me. Woke up for work and felt the house shaking with some of those gusts. At least took down some trees after Isias snapped one in half and put it through my roof.

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1
  • FLUSHED 1

• Moderators

So far 31mph on the Davis matching the previous 31 from Isaias and Dec 23rd 2022. One tree down near the house. Can’t tell rest of woods yet. 62 degrees out. 2.8” of rain in the bucket since last night. Davis has 2” since midnight. Oddly all three thermometers are within 2 degrees.  

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 2

• Moderators

This little gust is pretty close to the radar. Beam is 300 feet up there and by Center Moriches where it's blowing a more solid 60-65mph.

image.thumb.png.0b8888057cfba7189bca0f42dd36ceed.png

Further out over the ocean and higher aloft, winds are over 110mph.  This is about 5k feet up.

image.thumb.png.d6fa94162a5648845288534a52b3c405.png

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 2

We've had 1.37" of rain so far and the temp is currently at 45F after hitting 48F during the night.  Our forecast high is 58.  We are lucky here as the wind should not be much of a factor.  I hope everyone to my east comes through this unscathed.  Losing electricity then temps dropping is not a fun way to spend the week before Christmas.  Good luck to all!

• LIKE 2

• Admin
4 minutes ago, TheRex said:

We've had 1.37" of rain so far and the temp is currently at 45F after hitting 48F during the night.  Our forecast high is 58.  We are lucky here as the wind should not be much of a factor.  I hope everyone to my east comes through this unscathed.  Losing electricity then temps dropping is not a fun way to spend the week before Christmas.  Good luck to all!

Funny, because we were on a generator last Christmas if I remember correctly

• LIKE 3

Had some thunder and lighting this morning as the heavier bands rolled in.  Since that, the temperature has dropped 10 degrees with the winds now out of the NW and we are getting some wet flakes mixed in as the main batch moves out!

Screenshot_20231218_085534_Ambient Weather.jpg

Screenshot_20231218_085412_Wunderground.jpg

• LIKE 2
  • SNOWMAN 1

Chiming in from Lebanon, ME….we lost power last night for a couple hours and nothing was even going on yet. Right now, we’re getting some pretty strong gusts around 45 - 50 MPH I would say. The trees are dancing a jig out there. Aaand the lights are flickering. Sideways rain. Should be an interesting day. 

• LIKE 2
  • WIND 1

Storm was wicked overnight, yard looks like a swamp, all small streams, ponds, etc. are up to their banks. Many roads are closed due to flooding or downed powerlines. I woke up at 4am and the sky was lit up with greens/blues, must be transformers blowing off in the distance. Thankfully we didn't lose power, but had a little water in the basement under the chimney, I don't think the roofers used the proper, or any, flashing around the chimney where the shingles meet the brick for chimney. 🙄

• &$!#% 2
  • YUCK 1

• Moderators

Looking for the highest Wunderground gusts.

Montauk with 68mph

Westhampton with 62mph

Fire Island with 63mph

Jones Beach with 63mph

Oyster Bay with 66mph

Mamaroneck 59mph

Stamford 66mph

Westport 67mph

Fairfield 77mph and 62mph

Clinton 62mph

Stonington 54mph

Block Island 71mph

The Beachcomber at Cahoon Hollow in Wellfleet (just cause I love that place) 56 mph

Plymouth 64mph

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

A windy, foggy, rainy 45ºF for this morning's low temperature.  These conditions continue with 58ºF the current temperature which may become today's high temperature as the CAA associated with this FROPA builds in.  2.67" of rain measured and I expect quite a bit more as the day progresses.  Highest wind gust recorded so far has been 24mph and I expect increasing wind later.  The NWS/B-N Office has issued flood. wind, and SWS's related to this event.  If I am lucky I may see some backend snowflakes as this system moves on out.

Edited by jbrumberg
  • YUCK 1