December 10-12, 2023 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

MDBlueridge called it earlier when he mentioned that for folks below PA Turnpike to find a hill over 1500’. 
NWS forecasting potential for over 5” in parts of Blue Ridge mountains in Va. 

No one knows elevation snow in Blue Ridge area like our guy MDB.

IMG_6073.jpeg

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators

I haven't come back from a night at the bar (work) and looked at weather in a while....tonight was that time. Probably already mentioned, but WS Warning has been hoisted...it's been a cold, snowy November into December....yet yielding only small events (<2")...looks like we may finally have a legit event.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Burlington VT 244 PM EST Sat Dec 9 2023 VTZ009-011-020-101000- /O.NEW.KBTV.WS.W.0008.231211T0300Z-231212T0000Z/ Western Addison-Western Rutland-Western Windsor- Including the cities of Middlebury, Vergennes, Fair Haven, Rutland, Bethel, and Ludlow 244 PM EST Sat Dec 9 2023 ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM SUNDAY TO 7 PM EST MONDAY... * WHAT...Heavy wet snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 10 inches. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph. * WHERE...Western Addison, Western Rutland and Western Windsor Counties. * WHEN...From 10 PM Sunday to 7 PM EST Monday. * IMPACTS...Travel will be very difficult, especially during the Monday morning commute. Scattered power outages are possible. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Rain overnight Sunday is expected to change over to heavy, wet snow during the pre-dawn hours on Monday. Snowfall rates on Monday morning could exceed 1 inch per hour. Furthermore, gusty northwest winds 25 to 35 mph could produce additional power outages on Monday afternoon into Monday night. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. Please allow extra time if travel is necessary.

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Social Media Crew

Also.. I just want to note this. As an observation.. I’m at 35F. That’s well below my forecasted temperature, which earlier tonight was supposed to be almost 50F. It was predicted to rise.. from 38F earlier. This will have no bearing on tomorrow.. at least I don’t think so, but it’s been noted. 

• LIKE 3

6 hours ago, CandO100 said:

MDBlueridge called it earlier when he mentioned that for folks below PA Turnpike to find a hill over 1500’. 

IMG_6073.jpeg

1286289719_jackgif.gif.c3e1028bd87133f65fe2139aa061992c.gif

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • TROPHY 1

7 hours ago, CandO100 said:

IMG_6073.jpeg

It's almost like I've lived here all my life lol

I think NWS is light on their guess on several ridges but we'll find out

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin

My metars bookmark is broken, so in my search, I found the aviation weather site. I wish they was a way to easily get gifs from there, my superficial first looks haven't found an easy way. 

Anywho, it's got a pretty slick setup up, lots of good information all in one view.

https://aviationweather.gov/gfa/

It's also got a way to show temp profile cross sections on plane routes.

Here's IND to IAD.  I'm assuming they the ft. is in hundreds. So 60 would be just over a mile, and we can very roughly use that as our 850mb temps.

Screenshot_20231210-071056.thumb.png.fee02b0052749971a6fc790df725603e.png

• LIKE 3

1 hour ago, MDBlueridge said:

It's almost like I've lived here all my life lol

I think NWS is light on their guess on several ridges but we'll find out

I'm planning on taking the kids up to the Appalachian trail tomorrow morning if we don't get a couple inches down here.

• LIKE 3

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Impressive convection in the deep south. Almost looks like a rotating cluster of storms in the FL panhandle about to cross into GA.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-subregional-Dixie-comp_radar-12_15Z-20231210_map_noBar-24-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.c9c6f8e9f2790be1cfa200dd72b894dc.gif

@JDClapperi like the brisk pace of the trend gifs, I find it is more effective, just my 2¢ on that.

BTV mentions in their latest discussion that there was even some lightning in this system as far north as Lake Ontario. 

• SHOCKED 1