Dec. 9-12, 2023 | Potential Winter Storm

snowlover2

5 hours ago, Cary67 said:

This is a thread the needle situation that probably disappoints  even for areas that are in the ribbon of snow. Poor antecedent airmass along with lots of pieces that all need to align right. Even if this all worked out places like Chicago with a NE wind off the still warm lake would probably have precip issues.

Lake temps are still low 40s near shore to mid 40s farther out.  Would assume that won't change much by the time the weekend arrives.  With water temps like that in a marginally cold airmass, it would definitely be a factor to not overlook.  Several factors go into that though, such a wind speed, timing of the wind shifting to less onshore/more offshore, precip rates, etc.  

• THUMBS UP 1

5 minutes ago, RobB said:

Playing the 2nd low game as more energy at 500 comes around.  Unique run..

It was a interesting run for sure. Would be better for everyone if it was a split low type storm where the secondary energy ends up east.

Edited by SNOWBOB11
  • LIKE 1

11 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

It was a interesting run for sure. Would be better for everyone if it was a split low type storm where the secondary energy ends up east.

Better for everyone? Was it a split low a couple days and nights ago when it dropped huge snows? I will have to go back and look. Didn't think it was but may be wrong. 

Edit: looking back, doesn't appear that it was. 

Edited by SOMOSnow

20 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

Better for everyone? Was it a split low a couple days and nights ago when it dropped huge snows? I will have to go back and look. Didn't think it was but may be wrong. 

Edit: looking back, doesn't appear that it was. 

What I mean was better than what models had started to show. GFS is so far west. I think if it’s one low it ends up basically what the GFS is showing. If it has a secondary it’s possible the secondary ends up east with the snow swath? What do you think?

• LIKE 1

6 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

What I mean was better than what models had started to show. GFS is so far west. I think if it’s one low it ends up basically what the GFS is showing. If it has a secondary it’s possible the secondary ends up east with the snow swath? What do you think?

Definitely possible. I agree. 

• LIKE 1

My expectations for appreciable snow IMBY are very low with this setup, but...

Here's everyone's reminder of how awful the models are with winter storms in this 4-5 day range. Large range of storm track/strength outcomes are still on the table. 

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • LIKE 2