Nov 25-27 S. Plains/Midwest/Lakes Winter Storm

SOMOSnow

My old home towns out in Colorado got 2.5" to 3.5" of snow with 21 degrees right now.  Heavier snow started on radar at 0500-0700z. Reports say 5-6" at Cheyenne, 1"-3" at Denver. Certainly they were expecting 4-8" uphill from Fort Collins  and Boulder. Generally they were expecting over 2 ft at the Wyoming Wind River Range and the southwest Colorado San Juan Range. So, it's kind of a storm that was all around Denver, but was supposed to have a pretty bad snow hole right at Denver. Obviously 1"-3" isn't a total miss for Denver.

The radar was impressive early in the storm, that is, 0500z to 0700z. Fort Collins had the more impressive snow rates and/or low visibility at 0600z and for a few hours past that point. I seems as though Denver got decent snow rates.

• LIKE 2

• The title was changed to Nov 25-27 S. Plains/Lower Midwest/Lakes Winter Storm Threat
  • Moderators
Probabilistic Heavy Snow and Icing Discussion
NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD
413 AM EST Sat Nov 25 2023

Valid 12Z Sat Nov 25 2023 - 12Z Tue Nov 28 2023

...South/Central Plains...
Day 1...

As snow winds down across the Rockies today, the second phase of this event will become the focus across the Central Plains from Kansas into Iowa. As the closed mid-level low over the Four Corners opens and begins to fill, it will eject eastward and may manifest to a neutral tilt as a lobe of vorticity swings through its base across OK and KS tonight. This will occur in tandem with at least peripheral LFQ diffluence from the upper jet streak ejecting to the south of the region. A wave of low pressure developing beneath this vorticity max will move east, resulting in increasing downstream theta-e advection northward, some of which will overrun a leading warm front producing moist isentropic upglide to expand precipitation. At the same time, low/mid level fgen will intensify beneath an axis of favorable deformation, and this will likely produce bands of heavier snowfall within the broader precipitation shield. Atmospheric cross sections suggest a high threat for CSI across KS within any bands, and this is collocated with the best WPC prototype snow band tool probabilities for 1"/hr rates. While the most intense snow rates and heaviest accumulations are likely to be over Kansas, there is still a modest signal for a continuation of a translating band into Missouri and Iowa, where SREF probabilities for DGZ depths exceeding 100mb have increased to 10-30%, but both the signal for CSI and the resultant WPC snow band tool probabilities decrease rapidly into the Upper Midwest. WPC probabilities for 6+ inches of snow are generally 40-60%, highest across central KS, with locally more than 8 inches possible in any linger banding. Farther northeast, WPC probabilities for more than 2 inches are as high as 40% near Kansas City, and 5-10% towards the Quad Cities, Iowa.

Edited by Hiramite

• Meteorologist

We're ahead of schedule here, been colder than expected. I feel pretty good about see 6" here if we cash in this evening like we're supposed too. Can't rule out something closer to a foot too. 

• LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 2
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Up to 6" here already. Have a shot at making it to 10" I think. 

Here a couple of the many measurements I made. Averaged out to about 6, but some were higher like the first image. 

20231125_170824.jpg

20231125_171157.jpg

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 5

plus SN for the southern Plains. better bookmark this one. Or maybe just root on El Nino, which hopefully will bring some above normal snow and rain to the southern tier of states, eventually, if El Nino works right, maybe, and so on.

plus sn for the southern plains.jpg

• LIKE 1

St. Louis saw, not surprisingly, only light drizzle, typical for late November in upstate New York. I have not seen a flake of snow since March 18. The clouds are breaking up as we approach sunset, which likely means a clear, cold night. There is no snow forecast here for a long time. After an unseasonably cold Monday, it will get milder. If we can’t have snow, I would rather have mildness than cloudy and cold.

• The title was changed to Nov 25-27 S. Plains/Midwest/Lakes Winter Storm