2023-2024 Season Long Lake Effect and Upslope snow

Hiramite

Curious if Buffalo is the snowiest populated city on the planet at over 275k people.  I understand there are remote place that get a ton of snow, but this is definitely an anomaly having a large population center get buried under feet of snow every year.  

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Jenny said:

Curious if Buffalo is the snowiest populated city on the planet at over 275k people.  I understand there are remote place that get a ton of snow, but this is definitely an anomaly having a large population center get buried under feet of snow every year.  

It looks like there are a couple snowier major cities in Japan.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/top-10-snowiest-major-cities-around-the-world/375130#google_vignette

I’m certainly not very familiar with the Buffalo area, but I think most of the snow was south of the City proper this past storm. Maybe @Hshiaucan shed some more light in this matter.

1 hour ago, Hiramite said:

I’m certainly not very familiar with the Buffalo area, but I think most of the snow was south of the City proper this past storm. Maybe @Hshiaucan shed some more light in this matter.

That’s correct.  There was accumulation north of and in downtown Buffalo but the largest accumulations were south. 

Same with a storm earlier in December that netted us two feet but not much in the city and last year’s pre-Thanksgiving storm where we got FIVE feet of snow.  Crazy stuff

• THANKS 1

2 hours ago, Jenny said:

Btw, Syracuse gets crushed even more than Buffalo!!  See the snow map

Northwest Indiana should be fun in the next couple days.  Obviously less common to get good northerly flow compared to other directions and the duration is more limited, but the northerly flow events can dump off of southern Lake Michigan when they do occur.  Forecast parameters are pretty much all toward the high-end, and I see no reason why the band won't produce rates of 2-4" per hour at peak.  

The band off of Lake Michigan is just loaded with kinks/mesolows.  Really quite a sight on radar.  Already about 18" in the Michigan City and La Porte area.  There will be some obscene totals out of this by tomorrow... one of the great LES events of all time for northwest Indiana.

• LIKE 1

• 1 month later...

2 inches from the lake effect band this morning.

You know it has been a mild winter when the lake effect topic hasn't seen a post since January 19th and is still on page 2. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Snowbelted said:

2 inches from the lake effect band this morning.

You know it has been a mild winter when the lake effect topic hasn't seen a post since January 19th and is still on page 2. 

Still snowing lightly here, I would guesstimate a bit over an inch. Edit to add: measured 1.5”.

The Lakes have been pretty quiet down this way for the last few years….which I know you don’t mind, lol.

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1

• 2 weeks later...
And this winter was going so well........😒

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Cleveland OH
213 PM EST Fri Mar 8 2024

OHZ013-090315-
/O.NEW.KCLE.WS.A.0002.240310T0600Z-240311T0600Z/
Geauga-
Including the cities of Chardon, South Russell, Bainbridge,
Chesterland, Middlefield, and Burton

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
LATE SUNDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow possible. Total snow
  accumulations up to 6 inches possible. Winds could gust as
  high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...Geauga county.

* WHEN...From late Saturday night through late Sunday night.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Snowbelted said:
And this winter was going so well........😒

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Cleveland OH

OHZ013-090315-
/O.NEW.KCLE.WS.A.0002.240310T0600Z-240311T0600Z/
Geauga-
Including the cities of Chardon, South Russell, Bainbridge,
Chesterland, Middlefield, and Burton

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
LATE SUNDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow possible. Total snow
  accumulations up to 6 inches possible. Winds could gust as
  high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...Geauga county.

* WHEN...From late Saturday night through late Sunday night.

Very odd just to have Geauga under a WSWatch but it sounds like the surrounding “belt” will have Advisories issued.  As always, feel free to send you snow south.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Looking like a solid/sizable event for NW PA. The forecasted midday fall of the  “heaviest” snow in OH doesn’t bode well. 

Here is the trend for the last 3 snow maps from CLE.

IMG_6177.png.df327fa6315fd879c54fc5d75543c947.png
IMG_6186.png.5f12dd82040efc92a504ef3086441bb5.png

IMG_6189.png.9963510f33db795a6ef4b8bb9b8c7c04.png

Edited by Hiramite

• Moderators

Unexpected uptick in the LES this evening has lead to WWAs across NE OH and NW PA.  Calling for an additional 1-3, maybe 4” tonight in top of the few inches that fell today across the region.

Currently a 4” on the patio table at 9:30pm with a now steady light to moderate snow.

IMG_6227.jpeg

• LIKE 1