Cat 5 Lee | peak 165 mph 926 mb | post-tropical

Iceresistance

• Admin
1 hour ago, so_whats_happening said:

would not be surprised to see this labeled as Cat 4 possibly low end 5 by overnight update.

Thing is taking off it will be interesting to see how the surrounding environment reacts to this system now. Could see it have more westerly component by the weekend which is not what you wanna see. Where that turn occurs will be incredibly important.

I do not know why you were not tagged as a met - but.... fixed!!

I find it telling that in today's modern social media screwed up world where we have unqualified lunatics chasing tornados and hurricanes, trying to get the craziest footage for the insta grams or ticktocks or whatever, that nobody ever attempts to chase these things at sea. 

I would love to see what the inside of Lee looks like from sea level right now, but of course anything in position to capture it wouldn't survive it.  It's like the difference between looking at a lion in a cage vs right next to you. A hurricane in its natural environment mid ocean is so scary even today's crazy internet people know not to get near it. 

Ok bye I'm going to watch the perfect storm again. 

• LIKE 1

12 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I find it telling that in today's modern social media screwed up world where we have unqualified lunatics chasing tornados and hurricanes, trying to get the craziest footage for the insta grams or ticktocks or whatever, that nobody ever attempts to chase these things at sea. 

I would love to see what the inside of Lee looks like from sea level right now, but of course anything in position to capture it wouldn't survive it.  It's like the difference between looking at a lion in a cage vs right next to you. A hurricane in its natural environment mid ocean is so scary even today's crazy internet people know not to get near it. 

Ok bye I'm going to watch the perfect storm again. 

I imagine it would be like going over Niagara Falls in a wooden barrel over and over and over again. Then at some point you die. 

• LAUGH 1

@1816 I remember watching a webcam from a house in Marathon during Irma, people were in it. The ocean was banging on the 1st floor windows and you couldn’t even see any land. Was supposed to be some crazy cat5 rated house, I can’t even remember what platform it was steaming on, it went out eventually. Hope they made it. 

Called off work that day glued to Irma. 

Edited by TLChip
  • LIKE 1

1 minute ago, TLChip said:

@1816 I remember watching a webcam from a house in Marathon during Irma, people were in it. The ocean was banging on the 1st floor windows and you couldn’t even see any land. Was supposed to be some crazy cat5 rated house, I can’t even remember what platform it was steaming on, it went out eventually. Hope they made it. 

Called off work that day glued to Irma. 

1st floor windows in marathon are second story windows.  Every house there is on stilts. 

• BOMBOGENESIS 1

• Moderators

Recon is through it's first pass. HDOBS with 928 pressure 🤩 and 144kt smfr winds and 133kt flight level. 

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 7.43.48 PM.png

The peak 10sec flight wind was 140kts and the estimated surface wind based on reduction was 134.7 kts or 155.1 mph.  Shows as Cat 4 on the chart, but my chart has anything over 155 being Cat 5.  

Edited by StretchCT
  • WOW 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, so_whats_happening said:

As soon as I saw that my mouth dropped like whatttt

I can't tell what's going on with the sondes though. One was clearly on the edges, but the next one on TropAtl is an incomplete drop at 43kts and min 938mb.  That's a really noisy center drop if that's what it is. 

5 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Recon is through it's first pass. HDOBS with 928 pressure 🤩 and 144kt smfr winds and 133kt flight level. 

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 7.43.48 PM.png

So I Googled it and 144 kts is 165 mph.  Would this be gusts or sustained?

1 hour ago, TLChip said:

The eye is stable and clear now.

Recon send pics please 😍

IMG_4265.gif

IMG_4266.gif

Bummer about it being dark. We probably aren't gonna get much tonight. The stadium was clearly visible on the goes16 stretch posted earlier. Maybe tomorrow. 

• Meteorologist
4 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

I can't tell what's going on with the sondes though. One was clearly on the edges, but the next one on TropAtl is an incomplete drop at 43kts and min 938mb.  That's a really noisy center drop if that's what it is. 

Reasonable estimates at this point are 150mph and low 930s, maybe even upper 920s. That ERC will just expand that windfield like crazy hopefully only one occurs but we still have 5 days until it is east of the bahamas so could easily get two in there.

• Meteorologist
12 minutes ago, TheRex said:

So I Googled it and 144 kts is 165 mph.  Would this be gusts or sustained?

Most likely a gust don't think we are quite that far up the wind speed scale yet. maybe by tomorrow morning if everything holds. 

• THANKS 1

• Moderators

Vortex message

936mb but dirty drop, 15nm eye, max surface winds 165mph, max flight winds, 170mph.  They got the sfmr winds at 160 going in and 165 going out, which is pretty amazing and a balanced system.  The difference in temp, from 9c to 22c outside and inside the eye has to be one of the highest differences I've ever seen. 

Spoiler

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 8th day of the month at 0:04Z
Agency: United States Air Force
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF97-5306
Storm Name: Lee
Storm Number & Year: 13 in 2023 (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 2
Observation Number: 06

A. Time of Center Fix: 7th day of the month at 23:35:40Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 16.94N 51.70W
B. Center Fix Location: 590 statute miles (950 km) to the ENE (63°) from Bridgetown, Barbados.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,543m (8,343ft) at 700mb
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 936mb (27.64 inHg)
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 220° at 34kts (From the SW at 39mph)
F. Eye Character: Closed
G. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 15 nautical miles (17 statute miles)
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 139kts (160.0mph)
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 6 nautical miles to the WSW (246°) of center fix at 23:33:30Z
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 310° at 132kts (From the NW at 151.9mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 6 nautical miles to the WSW (246°) of center fix at 23:33:30Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 144kts (165.7mph)
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 7 nautical miles to the ENE (70°) of center fix at 23:37:30Z
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 174° at 148kts (From the S at 170.3mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 9 nautical miles to the ENE (64°) of center fix at 23:38:00Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 9°C (48°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,044m (9,987ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 27°C (81°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,049m (10,003ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 10°C (50°F)
R. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
S. Fix Level: 700mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 148kts (~ 170.3mph) which was observed 9 nautical miles to the ENE (64°) from the flight level center at 23:38:00Z

• LIKE 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 2