Cat 5 Lee | peak 165 mph 926 mb | post-tropical

Iceresistance

• Admin
26 minutes ago, NHSparky said:

Any concerns then that perhaps it's coming in a little more to the West?

It's certainly possible the precip reaches a little more westerly. A lot of models show that leading band dissipate as it pushes on show, so kinda watching how it holds up.  Even if it did track further west, I think it would only increase QPF, the winds probably wouldn't be affected much.  The wind on the backside is more like a traditional Nor' Easter, with the wind field more spread out now, as It's lost a lot of if it's tropical characteristics.  It would have to move extremely far west to get into any remaining tropical core.

I think more likely, it's moving along a little quicker.  

Still just a little breezy up this way.

• LIKE 3

• Admin

Pretty much a non-event here so far, I believe the worst winds were forecast for mid morning. 0.03". It's a little windy, but nothing problematic. Dew point of 54° is doing it's job eating the precip.

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-GYX-N0B-20230916-1222-48-100.thumb.gif.a4218cf1d0c319eef8e9db860d005716.gif

Almost 60°, was a few degrees cooler overnight.  Temp forecasts have risen a bit for today, maybe moving out quicker with a little sun?  The sky does appear to brighten at times.

Screenshot_20230916-082727.thumb.png.8febfa069c5c4dbf56adce35b3fbf4ab.png

• LIKE 2

• Admin

Little to no rain and 58° with 15mph gusts. The bands coming off the storm going north are spotty. Looks like all the action is between Bar Harbor and Calais.

I've been watching the hourly HRRR updates (via FlowX which is great) and the modeled furthest extent of the primary rain core will be somewhere between Caribou and the Canadian border based on the current modeling and radar ingest. Still matter of mere miles between practically no rain and ~ a couple inches.  

• LIKE 4

• Moderators
On 9/15/2023 at 8:42 AM, Mainiac said:

Strange being in the thunderstorm hatched area in preparation for (extra) tropical moisture when I was considering turning the heat on this morning (a balmy 46° outside, 64° inside).  We're a mere 10 days away from the NWS not bothering to warn us about frost/freeze because it's just expected. 

And here I thought it got cold in Maine. We've had morning temps in the 40s last two days here in VA (had 46 this morning). 

If it's as cold here as in Maine, I expect equivalent snowfall this winter. :classic_cool:

• LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

• Admin
22 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Center still looks neat, even without the crazy convection of a cat 5.

A quick glance and it almost look like it is going NNW. I guess that is just the convection creating somewhat of an optical illusion. 

Definitely looks like a classic nor'easter right now with that giant comma structure, but much better contained around the concentric core (for now).

20232591536_GOES16-ABI-CONUS-GEOCOLOR-2500x1500.thumb.jpg.77c6c935865b1b66fc6b0e173bc7a625.jpg

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

Eastport ME buoy is at TS strength with peak gust of 53kts.

Jonesport buoy has a camera. Also sustained TS winds and gusts of 52kts. Waves of 19 feet.

image.thumb.png.42150b37a90baf6b1c08faf25ce2fc6f.png Mt Desert Rock station has TS strength sustained with 52kt gusts.

Mantincus Rock is over TS strength with gusts to 55kts.

The above all in the Gulf of Maine and seeing pressure still lowering.

Georges Bank buoy which was right in the path is below. Wave heights made it to 29 feet. 

image.png.1421adca0df764819ea54b0c6dfde8c9.png

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 2

• The title was changed to Cat 5 Lee | peak 165 mph 926 mb | current 75 mph 965 mb
  • Moderators

I had guessed 19mph wind gust for me here in the hollow. The trees are moving a little more than earlier and once in a while you can hear the wind outside.  But my peak gust so far today is 7mph.  Not even close to my guess.  But I'm still not going for a walk in my woods. 

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators

Some Wunderground obs in mph sus/gust

Brewster on the Cape 44/58

Harwichport Allen Yacht Club 33/48

Great Hill Truro 53/59

Kill Devil Cottages N Truro 47/48

Nantucket 44/55

Kittery Point 35/46

Vinal Cove (below)

image.thumb.png.fdc585aa5ebfc87b1a778b7aed1d5e30.png 

Deer Island 45/56

Swan Island 38/38

Cadillac Mountain 61mph

Bar Harbor 51/54

Beals 55mph

In Nova Scotia... mph unless noted

Port Mouton 38/50

Rye Hill 41/41

East Pennant 42/51

Halifax 53/58

This one for fun, obviously someone with a leaf blower in front of it.

Screenshot2023-09-16at12_51_48PM.thumb.png.73ca011df3761c2b98d7aa6ddde53a66.png

image.thumb.png.0403cdfe7d4c31ee29d23c2dc85859cc.png 

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, StretchCT said:

I knew there was a cam at the Beachcomber and Cahoon Hollow on the Cape.  It's definitely rough there from what I can make out through the salthaze. 

This cam cleared up. Looks rough.

• Admin

It's gusting up here to about 30 mph now. 

The center of circulation crossed directly over Yarmouth at 12:10 PM. It's still moving slow. It will get back out over water and then into New Brunswick , which will take about 6 hours (for what is left of the core) transiting the Bay of Fundy per current projections. 

Almost 100k without power. 

On a side note I love how fast the NHC dumps a storm once it is technically extra tropical.

djkhaled-poppinbottles.gif.91a24d3646f2c8c875f89b100ccfecb1.gif

Still has 75 mph winds...but not our problem. The WPC and SPC people have you covered. Have a nice day!

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 2