Cat 5 Lee | peak 165 mph 926 mb | post-tropical

Iceresistance

• Admin

The front has cleared the coast, so that should help mitigate some of the heavy rain potential for those west of the front.  Should have 2 good days to get things drying, especially as the N wind begins to build late today into tomorrow.

ezgif-5-066ff60477.gif.2b555ce43a9686a9a00d26e0c5221397.gif

Similar to coastal scraping snow storms, how far west does any banding reach?

NAM3 might be most ambitious with the heavier banding.

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_59(1).thumb.png.c894f7601864cb85ef0b233991e50730.png

RGEM really kills the shield in the NW sector as it approaches land. This does make some sense with N winds descending off the higher terrain.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh49-70.thumb.gif.a07fa74bd2c8b690b3b2f3f71cecba1c.gif

I have tickets to the Sea Dogs on Saturday. 1 o'clock game, if the rain holds off and the game is on, it will be interesting with such high winds blowing almost directly in from center field.  Plus it's field of dreams day, they walk into the game out of a makeshift cornfield.

• LIKE 4
  • THINKING 1

12 hours ago, MainelySnow said:

Been doing the same. Hubby is filling up the gas cans, and I'm getting some food prepped in case power goes out. At least I'll have the gas cooktop, or really worst case, fire up the woodstove. You know who ranks in my house - I've got the dog's food (he eats home made) already prepped through next week 🙂

If you are out today, you may want to ask your local gas stations if they have generators that will keep the pumps working if they lose electricity.  After Sandy, there was no fuel stations in my area in NJ that I could find that were running on generator power.  Luckily, I was running a Honda 2000 watt generator that didn't use much fuel so I had less troubles.  My neighbors running bigger generators had troubles.

• LIKE 4

• Admin
54 minutes ago, TheRex said:

If you are out today, you may want to ask your local gas stations if they have generators that will keep the pumps working if they lose electricity.  After Sandy, there was no fuel stations in my area in NJ that I could find that were running on generator power.  Luckily, I was running a Honda 2000 watt generator that didn't use much fuel so I had less troubles.  My neighbors running bigger generators had troubles.

Great point. 

1 minute ago, Burr said:

We are cancelling our plans to go to the Jersey shore this weekend…

You shouldn't be getting any rain.  Will be windy, probably in the 10 to 15 mph range.  Unless you were planning to go into the water, or if the winds could cause the boardwalk to get flooded out.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Burr said:

We are cancelling our plans to go to the Jersey shore this weekend…

I was counting on you for video of the surf! @Miller A would be my go to if it were winter but he doesn't get too involved in summer.

Edited by StretchCT
  • THUMBS UP 1

• The title was changed to Cat 5 Lee | peak 165 mph 926 mb | current 100mph 955 mb
  • Moderators

Nothing to really update this morning.  Track looks the same.  Storm should slowly peter out due to shear, dry air and eventually older ssts. Track could shift either way but still between CC and NS. 

One important note that was showing up in previous NHC discussions was that the graphic for the chance of tropical storm winds is messed up.  

"It should again be noted that the 34- and 50-kt wind speed
probabilities beyond 36 hours in the text and graphical products are
likely underestimating the risk of those winds occurring.  This is
because the forecast wind field of Lee is considerably larger than
average compared to the wind field used to derive the wind speed
probability product."

Found this Tik Tok interesting.  Fisherman in Maine has lots of birds on his boat while at sea.  Not sure where they came from.  Sometimes northerlies blow the birds out to sea but he says they haven't had any lately. 

• SHOCKED 2
  • THINKING 1

31 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

I was counting on you for video of the surf! @Miller A would be my go to if it were winter but he doesn't get too involved in summer.

I'm hoping for pictures of @Miller A's neighbor picking up every leaf that falls on his property.  

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

57 minutes ago, TheRex said:

I'm hoping for pictures of @Miller A's neighbor picking up every leaf that falls on his property.  

Growing up I had a neighbor like that.  He'd clean it all up and break out the lawnmower if 1 more leaf fell.  He was way too fanatical about it.  Passed away in his 50's.  Never ventured anywhere, just took care of that yard.

• SAD 2

40 minutes ago, clm said:

Growing up I had a neighbor like that.  He'd clean it all up and break out the lawnmower if 1 more leaf fell.  He was way too fanatical about it.  Passed away in his 50's.  Never ventured anywhere, just took care of that yard.

People care way to much about grass, we’ve been thinking about letting our pastures grow and throw wildflower seed and plant some trees. Mowing grass  🤢. We also have a honey bee hive so we figure more flowers! 

• LIKE 5
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
30 minutes ago, Harley8778 said:

I would imagine this storm has really racked up some ACE for the Atlantic.

Yea was the most ACE producing storm this year.

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Realtime/

If you just click on the location Ex: North Atlantic or NE Pacific it breaks it down individually.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 150504.png

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 1
  • THANKS 3

• Admin

The predicted impacts at my location have dropped significantly since yesterday. The QPF over at the WPC dropped from 4"-6" to 0"-1" and there is now a 0% chance of tropical storm winds per the latest NHC update. 

I got 1.21" yesterday and really don't need it anymore!

Not actually too surprised to see this storm recurve more than initially expected. They almost always do and the Gulf of Maine is where hurricanes go to die. 

• LIKE 6
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

High Surf Advisory for Nassau/Suffolk calls for 16 foot breakers  - pictures from our LI contingent please. 

NYZ080-081-179-151615-
/O.CON.KOKX.SU.Y.0002.000000T0000Z-230917T0000Z/
/O.CON.KOKX.RP.S.0021.000000T0000Z-230917T0000Z/
Southwest Suffolk-Southeast Suffolk-Southern Nassau-
1150 AM EDT Thu Sep 14 2023

...HIGH SURF ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT SATURDAY...
...HIGH RIP CURRENT RISK REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY
EVENING...

* WHAT...For the High Surf Advisory, large breaking waves of 7 to
  11 ft, building to 10 to 16 feet on Friday into Saturday
  morning in the surf zone, then gradually subsiding through the
  weekend. For the High Rip Current Risk, dangerous rip currents.
  • THUMBS UP 1

55 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

The predicted impacts at my location have dropped significantly since yesterday. The QPF over at the WPC dropped from 4"-6" to 0"-1" and there is now a 0% chance of tropical storm winds per the latest NHC update. 

I got 1.21" yesterday and really don't need it anymore!

Not actually too surprised to see this storm recurve more than initially expected. They almost always do and the Gulf of Maine is where hurricanes go to die. 

I'm curious as to why that is. 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Buoy 41048 currently with 60t winds at surface and 64kt winds 20m. Gusts to 80kts. Waves 30 feet. 65 miles from the "center"

image.png.0c4bcb1d7da97c10ba7dd5e6f9097883.png

Radar from Bermuda

image.thumb.png.a32529f280d61c9807ac0c02cb4ca136.pngCurrent Bermuda conditions

Screenshot2023-09-14at5_10_17PM.thumb.png.82b0335761ec90dcc8054eb779a99b33.png

Winds there TS force

image.png.3e6a12ddefaf72b240ddde1936e51f02.png

Screenshot2023-09-14at5_13_47PM.thumb.png.6c31a6bc0fbec856f97eac6b13153fe6.png

Bit sporty out there

https://www.portbermudawebcam.com/

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1
  • WIND 1