Cat 4 Idalia | peak 130mph 940mb | post-tropical (but wait)

StretchCT

• Moderators

Raw T jumped from 4.1 to 5.7 as ADT found the eye.  However, there's a limit they allow of .5 per hr. While this isn't the final or CI number, if it were, the storm would be a high end cat 3. 

Screenshot2023-08-29at8_49_06PM.thumb.png.b1354ba077fade8db08c4946c6e05c22.pngScreenshot2023-08-29at8_55_20PM.png.60c3aa7ae8b83288ac0a6346314cc573.png

I almost feel like this storm is moving TOO fast. How many times have we seen big storms rapidly intensify into a mighty 4 or 5 and then weaken before landfall?

This thing is rapidly intensifying and bull-rushing the coast. There's no time to pull the heat from its water supply or go through an ERC. It's going to make landfall while it's still getting stronger. I still think it's going to be a CAT4. I guess the best news is that the bullseye is lightly populated.

• Moderators

Michael became a hurricane at the 11am advisory October 8th with 982mb pressure. It was 140 miles east of Cozumel at that time. 

It made landfall Oct 10  at 1pm cdt 10 miles nw of Mexico beach with 155mph winds and 919 pressure.  It was traveling at 14mph.

Idalia became a hurricane this 4am cdt this morning with pressure of 981, way closer to landfall than Michael.  It too is traveling at 14mph. 

Screenshot2023-08-29at9_07_13PM.thumb.png.039c5a9ac2d08dc30f82a614bfc1ddf0.png

Edited by StretchCT

That clearing eye has now been persistent for a couple hours.  The eye does still seem open, but convection is filling in that exposed quadrant … 

IMG_0616.jpeg

• Admin
1 minute ago, Burr said:

75 minutes apart.  It’s hauling, which should limit wind damage due to shorter exposure, but may push a stinger surge(?).

2AB56C9A-8BC5-4EC5-8D59-DBC00AB91ABC.jpeg

If that convection wraps fully around that pinhole setting up... I don't want to see what happens. 

• Admin
1 minute ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

We've had no shortage of intense landfalling hurricanes over the past ~5 years, but we really haven't had this much of a pinhole eye this close to landfall.

Wrote this on another board - I believe the difference on radar and IR imagery is where the deep convection has wrapped. The deep convection is beginning to swirl the hurricane and the IR is showing where the physics of the beast is setting up. The eye that has cleared out is pinhole. It is concerning that IR Imagery is showing that, despite the fact that radar has not quite caught up. If radar is able to catch up, well really, if the thunderstorms themselves are able to wrap tightly around the eye as to where it is cleared out then we are going to have a potentially catastrophic situation on our hands. I don't use catastrophic lightly either. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

3 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

We've had no shortage of intense landfalling hurricanes over the past ~5 years, but we really haven't had this much of a pinhole eye this close to landfall.

Wilma comes to mind… but yeah, not seen that in a while

• LIKE 1

I think the eye is actually a lot wider than the little ‘pinhole’ of the clearing evident on IR.  Not much time left for this to wrap up and go into RI.  

IMG_0621.jpeg

• LIKE 1

7 minutes ago, Burr said:

I think the eye is actually a lot wider than the little ‘pinhole’ of the clearing evident on IR.  Not much time left for this to wrap up and go into RI.  

IMG_0621.jpeg

The longwave Dvorak is showing a much larger eye.

image.thumb.gif.9bc6a14fe524248116ef9930d2f5f663.gif

Edited by Rich Mac
  • THUMBS UP 1

• The title was changed to Hurricane Idalia | 110mph 960mb
  • Moderators

Tropical Atlantic site been dropping out lately so I found another way to get the vortex from the 961mb drop.  Eye is closed, but oval shaped with 12 miles on one axis and 8 on the other.  Ragged eye was noted again, no percentages this time. 

Spoiler

oduct: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 30th day of the month at 1:58Z
Agency: United States Air Force
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF97-5304
Storm Number & Year: 10 in 2023
Storm Name: Idalia (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 11
Observation Number: 27

A. Time of Center Fix: 30th day of the month at 1:32:50Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 27.33N 84.60W
B. Center Fix Location: 138 statute miles (222 km) to the WSW (251°) from Tampa, FL, USA.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,792m (9,160ft) at 700mb
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 961mb (28.38 inHg)
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 295° at 8kts (From the WNW at 9mph)
F. Eye Character: Closed
G. Eye Shape: Elliptical (oval shaped)
G. Orientation of Major Axis in Elliptical Eye: 180° to 0° (S to N)
G. Length of Major Axis in Elliptical Eye: 12 nautical miles
G. Length of Minor Axis in Elliptical Eye: 8 nautical miles
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 64kts (73.6mph)
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 11 nautical miles (13 statute miles) to the SW (222°) of center fix at 1:29:30Z
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 321° at 62kts (From the NW at 71.3mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 11 nautical miles (13 statute miles) to the SW (222°) of center fix at 1:29:30Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 80kts (92.1mph)
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 7 nautical miles to the NNE (28°) of center fix at 1:35:30Z
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 128° at 92kts (From the SE at 105.9mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 13 nautical miles (15 statute miles) to the NNE (33°) of center fix at 1:37:30Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 15°C (59°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,053m (10,016ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 16°C (61°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,052m (10,013ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 11°C (52°F)
R. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
S. Fix Levels (surface & flight level centers within 5nm of each other): Surface and 700mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 0.5 nautical miles

Edited by StretchCT
  • THANKS 1