Cat 4 Idalia | peak 130mph 940mb | post-tropical (but wait)

StretchCT

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rich Mac said:

Lol...I was just going to comment on the water vapor loop, but I had it interpreted entirely different. I was focusing in on that north/south band of dry air that just totally succumbed to the moisture. I was wondering if the storm would gulp that dry air in but it doesn't appear to be happening.

I was also watching the outflow and it looks to be doing well. Does that mean she's starting to stack and breathe properly?

Or...am I totally wrong? As usual 🙂 

I wouldn't say you're wrong.  I'm looking at that "dryer" area to the north to see why the outflow isn't there, and it's both dry air and some shear.  I don't think she's breathing properly on the west/north sides.  But it does appear to be moistening up to the north and nw which may allow for some tstorms to continue to wrap around the center of circulation.  There's a ridge to the NW which should be fading south or weakening which will also help it develop better outflow.

lbjMAXw01a(1).gif.8238c28294ced5e0e147bccbd7957fa9.gifScreenshot2023-08-28150550.thumb.jpg.4cff32a56067ed365fba941ae5236dd3.jpg

• THUMBS UP 1

• The title was changed to TS Idalia | 70mph 987mb
1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

AI-RI not showing overwhelming support for rapid intensification. 42 kts in 36 hrs.  At 60kts now. 

Screenshot2023-08-28at3_27_06PM.thumb.png.b340c98c6e082fe26c013b6bc12b1e62.png

Atmospheric dynamics and time to landfall are working in our favor, though the storm is still a max tropical storm. I'm afraid that if she even gets a whiff of clean air, it's off to the races due to those water temps. She's churned up some water but will be moving through 86 to 90 degree water until landfall. 

gulfmex.cf.gif

• Social Media Crew

That sure looks like an eye starting to develop.. 

Also.. excited to be back for another fall and winter of winter storm tracking! I took a nice long summer vacation.. even did some traveling out west this summer. Jackson Hole, Wyoming.. beautiful! 

IMG_7022.thumb.jpeg.2bfda0f7c2709f5db9cea8b1c4a555cb.jpeg

• LIKE 8
  • THANKS 1

Let's make a friendly wager. NWS believes it will reach 120-125 mph winds at max. I will bet it reaches Cat 4 strength (130+) easily. We have seen this one too many times. Plus the waters are historically warm.

1 hour ago, mikeysed said:

Let's make a friendly wager. NWS believes it will reach 120-125 mph winds at max. I will bet it reaches Cat 4 strength (130+) easily. We have seen this one too many times. Plus the waters are historically warm.

Admittedly, I've been leaning this way as well. Add 10-15mph (sadly sometimes more) to the max forecast for storms in the Gulf has been a pretty safe bet as of late. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, mikeysed said:

I've seen this movie before. There's no way I'm betting against that. In fact, when I heard the initial Cat 2 prediction and saw the projected path, the first thought I had was it was going to cross the Sarasota/Clearwater lat as a Cat 4 then "weaken" to a Cat 2 upon landfall just north of Tampa.

It seems that every recent Eastern Gulf hurricane shocks everyone with its rapid intensification and overperformance.

• LIKE 3

41 minutes ago, Rich Mac said:

I've seen this movie before. There's no way I'm betting against that. In fact, when I heard the initial Cat 2 prediction and saw the projected path, the first thought I had was it was going to cross the Sarasota/Clearwater lat as a Cat 4 then "weaken" to a Cat 2 upon landfall just north of Tampa.

It seems that every recent Eastern Gulf hurricane shocks everyone with its rapid intensification and overperformance.

The fuckin bathwater. It's literally bathwater. It's not fun to swim in. 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, StretchCT said:

You can loop it at the above link.  The center is getting more centered.

image.png.0edd78b55afae0d916bf3ecf22684a6d.png

Heh - I jinxed it!

Screenshot2023-08-28at8_28_38PM.png.231998aec420d848cb85758591e0986e.png

It can't really start cranking until there's an eyewall like structure. Maybe it's starting on the north side now, maybe it's just playing with me.

8-28radar830pm.gif.2a2cbd43f8c7ec1a54f1af0685cfbb54.gif

Edited by StretchCT

• Admin
11 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Cuban space laser

When you randomly stop posting we know why.... 

2 hours ago, mikeysed said:

I have been leaning this way for a while. I have a colleague just NW of Tallahassee and I sent them a heads up yesterday that I was rather concerned about this system. It will undoubtedly be a major at LF in my mind and I could see this being.. well... I'd rather not speak of it, or speak it into existence. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

Lotta talk about warm water and intensity.  What is the fastest a hurricane has ever intensified? Is there a limit, a cap, on how quickly that can happen and what conditions would be needed besides water that is 31c.?

• Admin
Just now, StretchCT said:

Lotta talk about warm water and intensity.  What is the fastest a hurricane has ever intensified? Is there a limit, a cap, on how quickly that can happen and what conditions would be needed besides water that is 31c.?

Hurricane Patricia - 2015. Eastern Pacific. 

Conditions needed - Favorable shear profile (which can include higher shear if positioned properly, thus allowing venting and sometimes better outflow). A vertically stacked storm.

Limit - image.thumb.jpg.e362298dda4607b2a32a944b9d0e56cd.jpg

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

5 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Wager on if we see the eye before 26N?

hwrf_satIR_10L_fh12-30.thumb.gif.033ac4d0b1d88718c653b345d3d5f472.gif

26N makes a lot of sense tbh. She still has to organize and shrug off dry air. My concern is the 180 or so miles between 26N and 29N. The good news is she should pick up speed so if we assume 15mph, she’s looking at about 12 hours in that region before nearing the coast.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

What is the fastest a hurricane has ever intensified?

Patricia in 2015 is the fastest.  Went from TS to Cat 5 in 24 hrs. Peaked at 215mph

Light shear, moist environment and water temps 30.5 to 31c

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/EP202015_Patricia.pdf

Not sure how I didn't remember this... what else have I forgotten?

Edited by StretchCT

• Moderators

Just pointed out on Franklins thread how quick that intensified.  Basically from an 80-85mph hurricane to a 145mph hurricane in 24 hours.  Its also down to 926mb and has the lowest pressure of any hurricane in the open Atlantic this far north. See that thread for source.  

The buoy that Franklin went closest to is 41047.  That buoy was reporting water temps from 82 to 84F.  

The buoy to the north of the M is the West Tampa with water temps of 88. And it comes with a camera

image.thumb.png.793fde249176d5dc0025ad739ce78b29.png

image.thumb.png.5a9014357636b91b832fbc4d1c66b9f8.png

• LIKE 2