Major Hurricane Hilary | Cat 4 Peak 145mph 939mb | 125mph 947mb

You know, the internet makes everything weird. Getting info is easy but harder too because you never know what to believe. 

It seems like half the Californians think the world is ending and the other half think it's just going to be a little rainy and breezy. 

The reality is I don't think they have any idea what is coming their way. This same storm in Florida would absolutely be no kind of big deal. But this isn't Florida. It's the freaking desert/mountains. When a weather event that normally doesn't occur somewhere happens, it is always going to be a big deal. Like 6 inches of snow in Atlanta. Not a big deal in Maine but the Georgians can't handle it. 

They seem to be comparing it to the big rains they get in winter and/or the Santa Ana winds. But this is something very different. The tropical rain doesn't come and go in waves like a Pacific firehouse. It just comes down so hard it hurts and stays that way for hours. Hope they got their stuff ready. Floods going to be no joke. Maybe since it's moving decently  fast it won't be so bad. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

1 minute ago, telejunkie said:

starting to add up in places....

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 1.06.57 PM.png

It’s still crazy being from a completely different part of the country. Is what the west coast considers flooding and catastrophic is what in Ohio is considered a 2 inches of rain good day of thunderstorms 

14 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

It’s still crazy being from a completely different part of the country. Is what the west coast considers flooding and catastrophic is what in Ohio is considered a 2 inches of rain good day of thunderstorms 

2 inches is around the annual total for a lot of these places 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

well it's really just starting up there and picking up steam as the COC approaches. That won't clear the region until tonight

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-regional-w_southwest-comp_radar-17_25Z-20230820_map_noBar-24-1n-10-100.gif

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

As an AV Geek, I've really been enjoying watching LAX today while I work.  It's pretty wild. 

I've never heard of that before. Sent it to my son...think he'll enjoy it. I do remember going to Costa Rica when I was young and there were hundreds to maybe thousands of people that would stand around the airport fencing and just spectate. There were food vendors, they would camp out there...thought it was wild at the time.

Not surprising to see the San Bernadinos and San Gabriels getting soaked. One station in the San Gabriels crossing the 4" mark. That band is going to cause problems...

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 3.36.34 PM.png

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

As an AV Geek, I've really been enjoying watching LAX today while I work.  It's pretty wild. 

I just spent too much time watching this.  It is really good stuff.

• LIKE 1

3 hours ago, Mainiac said:

I just clicked in to listen, and they mentioned a minor earthquake in Palmdale.  Insanity!

IMG_0417.jpeg

Edited by Burr
  • WOW 1

35 minutes ago, Burr said:

I just clicked in to listen, and they mentioned a minor earthquake in Palmdale.  Insanity!

IMG_0417.jpeg

Looks like there were some reports of stronger aftershocks. Nothing like a little earthquake to go with your torrential rainfall. I hope the rock is taking advantage of these conditions to film a sequel to San andreas. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, telejunkie said:

I've never heard of that before. Sent it to my son...think he'll enjoy it. I do remember going to Costa Rica when I was young and there were hundreds to maybe thousands of people that would stand around the airport fencing and just spectate. There were food vendors, they would camp out there...thought it was wild at the time.

Grew up in the shadow of a SAC base so I've always had a thing for plane watching. 

I go to LA about once a year and I stay at the H Hotel that is in between the runways at LAX, just for the rooftop lounge with view.

PXL_20211115_010955481.PANO2.thumb.jpg.8b69b37d535ddf1ab12d5213b381793c.jpg

PXL_20211115_003835475.thumb.jpg.496d1d22e2798c9b96844a2b6ff1a16a.jpg

I also make a pilgrimage to In & Out Burger right next to the runway and watch the planes coming in. 

PXL_20211114_205538249.thumb.jpg.5b169273755f74bb4a944013a37feb45.jpg

PXL_20211114_205408014.thumb.jpg.79adf5a5bcc65802b30b623d3424a6d8.jpg

My brother is in SoCal and as a non-native, that was the strongest earthquake he's ever felt. It was actually the first > 5.0 earthquake in the Ventura Basin since 1932. 

"This location is interesting to have it there," said seismologist Dr. Lucy Jones.

"Interesting" is probably not to reassuring to the locals.

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2

18 hours ago, Mainiac said:

That was pretty cool.  Never seen any channel like that before.  Was waiting for one of them to say....

image.jpeg.8b1054c934041264621624c632e38ec7.jpeg

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1