July 8 -15, 2023 | Northeast Mid Atlantic Flood Event

StretchCT

• Moderators

Should be noted that the flood in 1927 had already full rivers and creeks being soaked by remnants of a tropical storm.  (edit, the rivers were full, then the remnants hit).  The next worst flood was Irene. This is completely non tropical.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping there is no one inside. Kinda don't think it's real, but I remember seeing cars from dealership piling up in a river in NJ a few years back. 

History of flooding in VT can be found https://www.trorc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Appendix_I_Flood-Events-in-the-past-100-years.pdf

Edited by StretchCT
  • THUMBS UP 1

59 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Should be noted that the flood in 1927 had already full rivers and creeks being soaked by remnants of a tropical storm.  The next worst flood was Irene. This is completely non tropical.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping there is no one inside. Kinda don't think it's real, but I remember seeing cars from dealership piling up in a river in NJ a few years back. 

Thanks for the color on the 1927 flood.  We were talking about that flood earlier today but didn't know anything about it.

Hopefully the chip truck was driverless.  I do remember seeing that video of the new cars in NJ being washed away.

It has been so wet here the last month that I've had trouble mowing part of my yard due to the risk of getting stuck or the mower sliding on some of the inclines.  It has been one rain event after another for the last month.  Thursday may bring more rain which won't be helpful.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Still up a little.  Really thought we'd start seeing it go down. 

image.png.169cf313a1957240ca2d7435bd6bd007.png

685 is the spillover level it's increasing like an inch an hour. Downstream the North Branch is past it's crest and falling, so I wonder if they'll release a little. While it seems to be leveled off, I wouldn't want to go to bed knowing disaster is under a foot away.

wrightville7pm.png.f98f2642b436fdee03b79771fd2bd5c3.png

Screenshot2023-07-11at8_36_12PM.thumb.png.03247712c9746b63791acfcae046bf6b.png

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

685 is the spillover level it's increasing like an inch an hour. Downstream the North Branch is past it's crest and falling, so I wonder if they'll release a little. While it seems to be leveled off, I wouldn't want to go to bed knowing disaster is under a foot away.

wrightville7pm.png.f98f2642b436fdee03b79771fd2bd5c3.png

Screenshot2023-07-11at8_36_12PM.thumb.png.03247712c9746b63791acfcae046bf6b.png

In the TV world, this is where they would end the season with a cliffhanger and we'd have to wait until the fall to see what happens.  

I hope the rain on Thursday doesn't push it over the edge. 

• LIKE 3

Went to go visit the city dam, thank god it is built solid. Still flooding in low lieing areas, some roads closed. 

When I tell you the roar from this amount of water, holy crap. I could hear it when I stepped out the car a good half mile away! Just wow...really mad I didn't have my phone set to 4k, maybe tomorrow but I think its supposed to come down a bit by then.

Edited by tool483
  • LIKE 2
  • SHOCKED 2
  • WOW 2

We had an unexpected thunderstorm go to our south last night around midnight with intense lightning.  It was headed straight toward Montpelier but I think it died out when it hit the western slopes of the Green Mountains.

• LIKE 1

22 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Should be noted that the flood in 1927 had already full rivers and creeks being soaked by remnants of a tropical storm.  (edit, the rivers were full, then the remnants hit).  The next worst flood was Irene. This is completely non tropical.

History of flooding in VT can be found https://www.trorc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Appendix_I_Flood-Events-in-the-past-100-years.pdf

Passaic River Aug 2018 Flood Car pileup

image.thumb.png.3709457f89e4229f830b388161557f9b.png

Edited by Miller A
  • LIKE 1

So when I was younger my Dad would take us out to see what the power of water and flooding could do. Not exactly sure which storms were which but I don’t remember seeing these ‘flash floods’ like we’ve seen in the NE the past few years. I almost always remember them being long 2-4 day events where it’s steady rain with heavy at times. Not these deluges that are dropping 1”/hr rates for multiple hours. 

Sinking Spring saw 7 inches in about 4 hours a few years back. Just no where for water to go at rates like that. 

We’ve seen this crazy flash flooding in some towns now around here in less than 10 years. The town that had a river though it twice comes to mind but I can’t think of it off the top of my head. 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, TLChip said:

So when I was younger my Dad would take us out to see what the power of water and flooding could do. Not exactly sure which storms were which but I don’t remember seeing these ‘flash floods’ like we’ve seen in the NE the past few years. I almost always remember them being long 2-4 day events where it’s steady rain with heavy at times. Not these deluges that are dropping 1”/hr rates for multiple hours. 

Sinking Spring saw 7 inches in about 4 hours a few years back. Just no where for water to go at rates like that. 

We’ve seen this crazy flash flooding in some towns now around here in less than 10 years. The town that had a river though it twice comes to mind but I can’t think of it off the top of my head. 

Don't think it's official yet....but  a lot of scientists are saying earth is in a new epoch:

https://theweek.com/environmental-news/1024928/the-anthropocene-earths-new-era

Once again has become soupy out there, but a stiff wind is keeping it tolerable. Currently 80F on the thermo, 65F DP and winds gusting to 30mph.

Edited by telejunkie

6 hours ago, StretchCT said:

I'm going to show this video to my family so they know how you can go from nothing to fast moving water quickly.  It is almost like a dam burst.

• The title was changed to July 8 -15, 2023 | Northeast Mid Atlantic Flood Event