June 5th-September 1st, 2023 | Severe Storm Sequence

Iceresistance

46 minutes ago, ElectricStorm said:

I swear the Chicago area has the creepiest sounding tornado sirens of all time... 

I've heard those before.  It's not your classic tornado siren.  It sounds like the old air raid sirens or something.

I feel like complex Newtons laws and certain physics plays into how this system is playing out. Is it like a bowling ball where if you throw it really fast then its potential energy is confined into a smaller space? Whereas if you throw the bowling more slowly you have a wider area of influence on where the ball hits, so it’s energy could be spread out more? That sounded silly when I typed that out. 

Like, the kinetic energy of the storm is dependent on how progressive the 500 MB pattern is? 

Edited by NWOhioChaser

Unless anything changes or forms. I don’t see much if anything for Ohio at this point. It looks like all of the potential energy consolidated in Michigan after it passed the lake.  

There was a brief tornado warning south of Coldwater, but it looked elevated. 

IMG_5578.jpeg

IMG_5573.png

Edited by NWOhioChaser

Extremely active summer for storms looks to continue here with more chances Thursday night and maybe Friday night too. 

Seriously I can't remember a summer with this much storms here this June/July has been insane. 

Honestly this whole year has been pretty wild here...

• Meteorologist

Could be an interesting day in the TX/OK Panhandles. Widespread 70+ dew points which I've been told is very rare (except for the eastern portion which is lower elevation) but this is the second time since June this has happened.

12z sounding sampled over 5000 MUCAPE. Dew points are probably gonna get mixed down into the 60s eventually if there's enough heating but should still be strongly unstable. The northern TX Panhandle/OK Panhandle probably has deeper moisture so they might hold on to those 70+ dew points.

fuV6nuv.gif

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

Going back through obs from yesterday, TORNADO was in a METAR from Chicago's Midway Airport.  Translating some of the details... the tornado began at 2312Z (or was first observed) 8 miles to the west, was moving northeast, and ended at 2320Z.

KMDW 122321Z 17007KT 9SM -TSRA SCT060CB BKN095 BKN110 26/22 A2965 RMK TORNADO B12 8 W MOV NE TORNADO E20 AO2 LTG DSNT W AND NW RAB10 TSB18 OCNL LTGICCG VC W TS VC W MOV NE P0002 T02610217

Enhanced risk is up for N OK which has historically been pretty rare for July although it's now happened 3 out of the last 4 years. Seems like it could be a somewhat similar setup to 7/11/20 with the extreme dewpoints. Slight risk here in C OK so could get interesting here too. Too bad the OKC radar is down...