May 2 - 16, 2023 | Severe Weather Sequence

Iceresistance

• Meteorologist

RAP and HRRR down trended some here, though speed shear still looks excellent and any right mover would likely turn into a tornado produce in that environment. NAM and the WRF-NSSL still show a great environment, any left mover would become a big hail threat and a right mover could become a big tornado threat. It's hard to trust model SRH until you know the dominant storm motion for the day, anything that moves more to the right up here will be a very dangerous storm. 

24 minutes ago, ElectricStorm said:

Need to watch that cluster of storms down near Lawton. Models show it dying soon but it looks to me like it's going to persist for a while. The longer it lasts the more impact it could have for the next round later. 

The cluster is slowly dying. The rain further north that is related to the complex is mostly gone.

1 hour ago, Neoncyclone said:

The environment forecast to be in place over Central Oklahoma is definitely concerning.. The only potential saving grace i've seen is that models are a bit messy. Really hoping for no discrete storms this afternoon. 

If the inversion is slightly stronger, then it's a Lord have Mercy situation because it will only allow discrete Supercells to form, not a line.

Thick cloud cover here in C OK. Definitely got some work to do to recover before the main show gets here. Still plenty of time to do so. 16z HRRR doesn't show a whole lot of clearing, and it doesn't fire many cells in the northern part of the hatched area (up by OK/KS border) likely due to this. C OK looks to still be in the main supercell threat zone, and may become the bullseye for the strong tornado threat. 

It looks like that cluster north of the Red River is finally starting to die off

Edited by ElectricStorm

• Meteorologist

Amarillo got 0.56" last night. Probably more on the western side of town. Slowly but surely chipping away at the drought. Maybe after this weekend there's been enough rain to erase concern about the drought hurting severe weather prospects during the peak of our tornado season here.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

Feels like there's a lot of potential for today, but also a lot of room for it to bust or underwhelm. I'd certainly be watching southern Oklahoma today. If I was a chaser, that's where I'd be. Nice outflow boundary with locally backed surface winds and plenty of low-level moisture.

j8rcrD1.gif

3xY1LXW.gif

• LIKE 1

image.thumb.png.d98ae48bb6e13d597cb3f0e28052ad86.png

Spoiler
Mesoscale Discussion 0767
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0542 PM CDT Thu May 11 2023

Areas affected...Parts of south-central Oklahoma

Concerning...Tornado Watch 213...

Valid 112242Z - 120015Z

The severe weather threat for Tornado Watch 213 continues.

SUMMARY...The greatest near-term supercell tornado threat should be
   focused over portions of south-central Oklahoma between I-44 and
   I-35 during the next couple of hours.

DISCUSSION...Latest radar data from KFDR shows an evolving discrete
   supercell in Cotton County, OK -- where surface convergence is
   maximized along the intersection of a remnant outflow boundary and
   differential heating boundary. Additional discrete updrafts are also
   developing northward along the boundary into Comanche County. Ahead
   of this activity, visible satellite imagery shows billow clouds
   transitioning to HCRs, indicative of recovering outflow-modified
   air. Continued recovery/destabilization amid lower 70s dewpoints
   should favor continued intensification of the ongoing updrafts
   during the next couple of hours -- and weak large-scale ascent
   should favor a continued discrete mode. During the next couple of
   hours, a strengthening nocturnal low-level jet should favor larger,
   clockwise-turning low-level hodographs (150-200 m2/s2 effective SRH)
   -- supportive of longer-lived mesocyclones and a corresponding
   increase in supercell tornado threat.

..Weinman.. 05/11/2023

• Meteorologist
10 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

I'm not sure why the Supercells would just fade away in that kind of favorable environment, maybe the atmosphere didn't fully recover from the morning convection?

Slight capping remaining or too much dry air aloft

uicFcDW.png

• Meteorologist

Based on the 21z OUN sounding... looks more likely there's just too much dry air aloft right now. 

Edit: remember, this would look different in southern Oklahoma. But this helps when comparing the RAP mesoanalysis skew-t to observed. Looks like southern OK may be drier than central OK. Central OK/northern OK might be the focus after all.

YWADxuV.gif

• Meteorologist

Oklahoma tornado watch has been expanded north. Seems the dry air aloft in southern OK caught everyone off guard. Profiles look slightly more favorable farther north.

qSU3h3Q.gif