May 2 - 16, 2023 | Severe Weather Sequence

Iceresistance

1 minute ago, Ingyball said:

Doesn't look like it will make it to the airport lol. Everywhere around us has had good rain though

It's going to try to do it. Springfield, MO got insanely lucky from a major storm, it considerably weakened as it went through the city.

• Meteorologist

Radar is starting to fill in, looks like the office may get more than a trace today. We'll fare a lot better just 12 miles to the north lol

Edited by Ingyball

Day 2 outlook is out. Not a whole lot of changes yet, but they do mention a possible upgrade in later outlooks could be necessary, which personally I think it will be. Slight risk was expanded south slightly to Norman. I do think we'll see a 30% hail area at some point and maybe a 10% tornado area as well. Not sure it will go any higher than that yet but it certainly can't be ruled out. I'm actually getting more concerned about this setup and it's really starting to look like a classic May tornado event, especially for N OK/S KS but maybe for C OK as well. Could be come morning convection/cloud cover issues, but models currently seem to think the atmosphere should be able to recover in time for the main threat later on. 

5 hours ago, ElectricStorm said:

Day 2 outlook is out. Not a whole lot of changes yet, but they do mention a possible upgrade in later outlooks could be necessary, which personally I think it will be. Slight risk was expanded south slightly to Norman. I do think we'll see a 30% hail area at some point and maybe a 10% tornado area as well. Not sure it will go any higher than that yet but it certainly can't be ruled out. I'm actually getting more concerned about this setup and it's really starting to look like a classic May tornado event, especially for N OK/S KS but maybe for C OK as well. Could be come morning convection/cloud cover issues, but models currently seem to think the atmosphere should be able to recover in time for the main threat later on. 

KWTV is a little further south on the risk compared to the SPC.

• Meteorologist
7 hours ago, ElectricStorm said:

I wouldn't usually be super concerned about cloud cover at this time of year with a strong warm air advection surge. There was a meteorologist in one of our agency chats who talked about this that most of your instability will be advected in via warm air advection. Now the sun can definitely help on days where it's borderline or you need to hit convective temperature, or areas further away from the Gulf. What you do have to watch for is when that warm air advection get cut off. If you have moisture in place then you do need the sun to come out and destabilize the atmosphere for you.  

That's kind of my concern for tomorrow. Though we already have some decent moisture in place, which I like, I'm worried about that low in Texas limiting moisture return some, especially if it travels further east. The west side of the low could also pull in enough dry air and stabilization to leave central Oklahoma and Kansas dry. On the flip side if it gets pulled in by the shortwave it becomes quite the concerning feature. I would expect some weakening in that scenario, but if the I-35 corridor finds itself north or even northeast of the low we could see enhanced backing of winds at the surface, a greater surge in moisture, and enhanced lift. 

I think you can make an argument that this might have the highest localized ceiling of any system this year (i.e. a more regional outbreak and not a multi region one like 3/31) but is also has probably the lowest floor. I think the CIPS analogs have shown this through the last couple of days with multiple different violent tor days (El Reno 2011, the day before Moore 2013, and the day before El Reno 2013 all showing up), but there has been no consistency with the analogs nor have any of these shown up at the same time yet. Definitely a highly conditional risk. 

• LIKE 1

16 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

I wouldn't usually be super concerned about cloud cover at this time of year with a strong warm air advection surge. There was a meteorologist in one of our agency chats who talked about this that most of your instability will be advected in via warm air advection. Now the sun can definitely help on days where it's borderline or you need to hit convective temperature, or areas further away from the Gulf. What you do have to watch for is when that warm air advection get cut off. If you have moisture in place then you do need the sun to come out and destabilize the atmosphere for you.  

That's kind of my concern for tomorrow. Though we already have some decent moisture in place, which I like, I'm worried about that low in Texas limiting moisture return some, especially if it travels further east. The west side of the low could also pull in enough dry air and stabilization to leave central Oklahoma and Kansas dry. On the flip side if it gets pulled in by the shortwave it becomes quite the concerning feature. I would expect some weakening in that scenario, but if the I-35 corridor finds itself north or even northeast of the low we could see enhanced backing of winds at the surface, a greater surge in moisture, and enhanced lift. 

I think you can make an argument that this might have the highest localized ceiling of any system this year (i.e. a more regional outbreak and not a multi region one like 3/31) but is also has probably the lowest floor. I think the CIPS analogs have shown this through the last couple of days with multiple different violent tor days (El Reno 2011, the day before Moore 2013, and the day before El Reno 2013 all showing up), but there has been no consistency with the analogs nor have any of these shown up at the same time yet. Definitely a highly conditional risk. 

It could be huge, or it could be a nothingburger.

Definitely a highly conditional setup.

If that shortwave in Texas goes further east than expected, then we could have mostly uninterrupted moisture return if the morning storms either don't interfere or don't exist.

12z model runs are still somewhat concerning for tomorrow, but not as concerning last night's 0z runs. I still think we'll see an enhanced at some point, although maybe not with the upcoming Day 2 update. 

The experimental RRFS looks concerning, but I don't really take much stock in that for now. 

EDIT: And they just added an enhanced 

Edited by ElectricStorm

3 minutes ago, Chinook said:

That's a classic. I didn't realize that Radarscope displays Canadian weather warnings, but I guess it does.

This is the definition of a HP supercell, definitely hope there isn't a tornado under that thing.

Not to mention the golfball to baseball sized hail it's warned for.

Screenshot_20230510_152515_RadarScope.thumb.jpg.6370d3358693aa1354ce9f903ebd943f.jpg

Screenshot_20230510_152518_RadarScope.thumb.jpg.357f0e93f67a1014ea2481d376550a4e.jpg

Edited by Neoncyclone

• Meteorologist

Looks like GFS/Euro/HRRR were wrong about today. They were only showing less than 500 CAPE for the western TX/OK Panhandle. Got a solid 1000-1500 right now. Severe watch for moderate probabilities of all non-tornado hazards.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

1 hour ago, ElectricStorm said:

Pop up cell right over me now, getting some decent rain from it. 

Tor warning on the cell heading to Denver 

Nope, that storm jumped to the east, the one further south has a "Funnel Cloud Reported" tag with it.