May 2 - 16, 2023 | Severe Weather Sequence

Iceresistance

14 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

0z NAM sounding for Amarillo at 1am Friday. If a storm can take advantage of this... not good

FxQCZwi.png

The 0z NAM is further west compared to 18z, but solid soundings even for me on Thursday Afternoon

Edited by Iceresistance

Tomorrow night looks decent for a squall line in NE OK. It's been a very slow year for storms up there, but a decent chance to cash in assuming the line can hold up long enough. 

I think we could see an east shift/expansion of the slight risk for Thursday. N OK/S KS could be a target for some tornado action. C OK is probably just a bit too far south for that but I think we could still see a hail threat here if storms can form, but that's still up in the air for now. 

The only day coming up that I don't want storms is Friday, which means that'll probably be the day we get something... 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

Pretty sure this is our first watch here in Wichita since March, Can't remember if the watch on April 19th (after the main supercell) went this far south or not. 

25 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Pretty sure this is our first watch here in Wichita since March, Can't remember if the watch on April 19th (after the main supercell) went this far south or not. 

Yeah, that complex looks mean.

Thursday could be big, the biggest since at least April 19th.

Even though the SPC insists on the NW part of Oklahoma, the models are thinking that Central Oklahoma could be the bullseye.

Edited by Iceresistance

• Meteorologist

HRRR and RAP have been doing a horrible job initializing this storm. Not sure what's happening there, but will be interesting to see how the storm behaves as it moves into a high CAPE environment. Effective shear has moved along with it, but it should move out of the higher shear values over the next few hours. Might be a push and pull effect. If can stay shear balanced, I would expect some 70 to 80 mph wind reports. 

Edit: Looks like we already have an 80, but I'd definitely expect an increase in the more energized environment. 

Edited by Ingyball

• Meteorologist

Radar trends are not good for rain here. MCS shifted back to a more easterly motion and if it doesn't fill in we may ended up getting gapped here. Putting all my hope into that supercell is risky lol. 

• Meteorologist
8 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Radar trends are not good for rain here. MCS shifted back to a more easterly motion and if it doesn't fill in we may ended up getting gapped here. Putting all my hope into that supercell is risky lol. 

Went with hail near Salina, KS for the severe wx challenge today. 1" report in Salina came in at 1857z... 3 minutes before it would count for me...

• SAD 1

• Meteorologist

Showers/storms are starting to try to develop here. Temps are in the mid-90s with dew points in the 30s. Probably wouldn't get any rain but I bet there would be strong winds.

Looks like the cells in eastern Oklahoma Panhandle are getting close.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-local-Panhandle-dcphase-20_41Z-20230509_ushw-usint-map-plot_noBar-24-1n-5-100.gif

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

Go heavy rain here, probably at least a tenth of an inch if not a quarter. The airport somehow only came away with a trace so not much help there. 

Edited by Ingyball
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Here, we've only had about 2.5" of rain since January 1 and we're going on the 3rd or 4th year of significant drought. So this forecast for the next week is a pretty big deal. Will hopefully shut down fire weather for at least a couple weeks, if not the warm/wet season.

9ESn3yW.png

4 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Here, we've only had about 2.5" of rain since January 1 and we're going on the 3rd or 4th year of significant drought. So this forecast for the next week is a pretty big deal. Will hopefully shut down fire weather for at least a couple weeks, if not the warm/wet season.

9ESn3yW.png

Well, for comparison, Shawnee got 14 inches since January 1st.

On average, it's 12.3 inches.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
17 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Well, for comparison, Shawnee got 14 inches since January 1st.

On average, it's 12.3 inches.

Not surprised. Usually eastern Oklahoma does well in Ninas. We have drought feedback loop/sub-regionally unfavorable Nina pattern haunting us. There's been numerous cases in the past month in Texas where a MCS dumps more rain in an hour than we've had in 4-5 months. The MCS last night was probably another one of those cases.

Fortunately the past 3-4 weeks have had some abnormally wet periods, and based on the rapid weakening of the Nina over the past several months, hopefully this is more than just a coincidence.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

2 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Not surprised. Usually eastern Oklahoma does well in Ninas. We have drought feedback loop/sub-regionally unfavorable Nina pattern haunting us. There's been numerous cases in the past month in Texas where a MCS dumps more rain in an hour than we've had in 4-5 months. The MCS last night was probably another one of those cases.

Fortunately the past 3-4 weeks have had some abnormally wet periods, so maybe... just maybe... it's a sign of the changing ENSO.

Even the Nina does not like me either, 112°F this past July