April 19th/20th - April 23rd, 2023 | Oklahoma Tornado Outbreak with Severe Storms elsewhere

Iceresistance

15 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Some BIG outbreaks are part of the CIPS analog for April 21st: April 22nd, 1996, April 19th, 2011, and May 21st, 2001.

https://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/DFHR.php?reg=SP&fhr=F132&rundt=2023041612&map=thbSVR

There are so many things that remind me that 2011 was nuts. A few years ago I tried to use the SPC storm reports tabulation (monthly storm reports list) to try to find out how many wind, hail, and tornado reports could be expected every month of the year. I had to remove 2011 from the data to get something kind of normal.

updated (also not including the whole year of 2011 for all report types)

tornado_reports_per_day_01.png

Clipboard01a2.jpg

updated (also not including the whole year of 2011 for all report types). This also means that if there aren't 146 hail plus wind on a given day in June, then it's below the average. Although you could say that in any given month, the average is a representation of some very active days averaged with some mostly inactive days. So, maybe some statistician out there would point out that a median could be different from an average in that situation.

tornadoandhailwindreportsperday2.thumb.jpg.4c630322e6b99f075cc489bca42d21da.jpg

Edited by Chinook

32 minutes ago, ElectricStorm said:

Latest mid-long range GFS is disgusting... Sends the cold front way into the gulf, restricting moisture return pretty much the entire rest of the month, with perhaps a small exception towards the end of the month. 

Ew 

May is going to have to clutch up

Yeah, the Arctic Oscillation is taking a nosedive, which may explain why the GFS drives the front completely into the GoM.

ETA: GEFS gets the front into Cuba and Central Mexico, goodness gracious.

Edited by Iceresistance

• The title was changed to April 19th/20th - April 22nd (?), 2023 | Conditional Severe Weather Threat

There is a large 500mb trough coming into the western USA, which usually sets up severe weather. So far there does not seem to be a lot of tornado potential. There are not any enhanced risk areas issued. Obviously the capping situation in Kansas/Oklahoma could get interesting if the storms develop with the much better parameters. The CAMs today seem to like the idea of storms popping on the cold front near Omaha, with generally lower values of 850mb wind/0-3km SRH. If the storms fire up around here, they will have (only) 30kt to 40kt shear, generally lining up with the cold front orientation, which means there should be sort of a generic chance for severe weather in multicells or a squall line. Storms that go later into the night could end up using a much better 0-3km SRH if they have surface updrafts, so that's a typical scenario as you go from 00z to 06z.

Edited by Chinook

12 minutes ago, voltwaffle said:

New day 1 outlook is interesting. It is warm already; 65 with a dewpoint of 58. I can see it but there's tons of clouds in and out all night. Might be another cap bust.

Yeah, the latest sounding from OUN has a insane inversion

15 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Convection fail. Was only a small chance it'd happen anyway.

u4rEiGX.gif

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-local-Panhandle-natcolorfire-23_06Z-20230418_map_noBar-24-1n-5-100.gif

I can see the cumulus congestus fade away to nothing there.  Honestly, kind of neat to watch all the processes on satellite. I wonder why you pick the non-realistic coloration (clouds are mint green.)

4 minutes ago, ElectricStorm said:

They added a 5% tor area for OK now. Interesting... 

I'm just not seeing it right now but they must see something I'm not. I think this will be another cap bust. 

They noticed the Mesoscale models with storms in SW Oklahoma, also, the inversion is trending weaker.

• Meteorologist
5 hours ago, Chinook said:

I can see the cumulus congestus fade away to nothing there.  Honestly, kind of neat to watch all the processes on satellite. I wonder why you pick the non-realistic coloration (clouds are mint green.)

The green is foliage, but it's the natural color-fire setting. I was checking for fires and forgot to switch it off.