April 19th/20th - April 23rd, 2023 | Oklahoma Tornado Outbreak with Severe Storms elsewhere

Iceresistance

• Meteorologist

Wikipedia page set up for yesterday and I guess today. 2 EF3s confirmed so far. Given how much Norman has to survey and the velocity signatures we saw last night, I'd imagine they're still looking and this is very preliminary. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_outbreak_of_April_19–20,_2023

39 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Wikipedia page set up for yesterday and I guess today. 2 EF3s confirmed so far. Given how much Norman has to survey and the velocity signatures we saw last night, I'd imagine they're still looking and this is very preliminary. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_outbreak_of_April_19–20,_2023

1 EF-3 right now, and 3 EF-2s

• Meteorologist

Just got back from our storm survey. It turned into a 13 hour day after I had less than 4 hours of sleep. I can't reveal any information right now, but the storm was even more impressive than I thought. It kept us busy all day. 

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist
21 minutes ago, Neoncyclone said:

I think the main article for the wiki is wrong, there has already been several DI's out of Shawnee at EF-3 strength, the Cole tornado also has EF-3 damage.

Source is from

https://www.weather.gov/oun/events-20230419

Screenshot2023-04-20203040.thumb.png.35423593d42aa7d613929737454c715c.png

Screenshot2023-04-20203200.thumb.png.1db4f704e8dad3eace76b3809f4dbc8c.png

Could've seen the Shawnee rating go either way imo. That rotation was worthy of EF3 but I questioned whether it hit anything to do that damage. I didn't see debris go that high last night but maybe I missed it or something.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, Ingyball said:

Just got back from our storm survey. It turned into a 13 hour day after I had less than 4 hours of sleep. I can't reveal any information right now, but the storm was even more impressive than I thought. It kept us busy all day. 

Sucks about the lack of sleep but that's some solid overtime/comp time. Will be curious to see what you all found. 

• LIKE 1

10 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Could've seen the Shawnee rating go either way imo. That rotation was worthy of EF3 but I questioned whether it hit anything to do that damage. I didn't see debris go that high last night but maybe I missed it or something.

Radar was a bit choppy there, but the storm spotters reported a HUGE tornado on the ground with several instances of a roar with it.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

So I can say that the storm produced 2-3 EF-2 tornadoes (we're going with 3 right now). We should have a final count and the track out later today if not tomorrow. It's pretty impressive actually. Had this storm hit a more populated area like the one down south did, we'd be in an entirely different situation right now. 

• LIKE 1

16 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

They updated the weather.gov site and updated Shawnee to EF-2, must have been a typo when they added those pictures and claimed EF-3 damage.

5 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Radar was a bit choppy there, but the storm spotters reported a HUGE tornado on the ground with several instances of a roar with it.

The Shawnee tornado width is currently 1.3 miles wide, it was definitely huge!

Edited by Neoncyclone

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, Ingyball said:

I'm going to choose to ignore the 18z GFS because the 3 previous runs were more inline with the CMC and Euro (and for the longest the GFS was the main one showing big rain here). But our funny motto here is "when in drought forecast drought" lol. Rain has been hard to come by xD

Going to reply to this in the appropriate thread. You replied quicker than I caught that this is the wrong thread haha.

• Meteorologist

Here's the PNS from the supercell I warned on and the survey we did (they finished today). Overall there were 8 tornadoes and 2 EF-2s all from one Supercell in a relatively small area. This would have been a horrible situation if it happened further south in our more populated areas. Thankfully there were only a couple of minor injuries and most the damage was to outbuildings and trees. A few homes saw roof damage, but thankfully none I saw were hit hard enough to cause displacement. 

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=PNSICT&e=202304212302

11 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

I know Weather.us has the radar archive, but does anyone have a site and/or an entire loop of the tornadoes with radar and velocity from Cole to Prague, OK?

Radar omega is a hell of an app models satellites radar up to 200 frames radar history everything you need literally anything for $12.99 a month I suggest RadarScope folks head to radar omega too I have both. But here’s your loops if you buy the beat version monthly you get all this if you need anything else let me know 

• The title was changed to April 19th/20th - April 23rd, 2023 | Oklahoma Tornado Outbreak with Severe Storms elsewhere
  • Meteorologist
1 minute ago, Chinook said:

oh wait, I didn't realize there were so many tornadoes in Kansas

Yup one storm dropped 8 of them similar to the main storm in Oklahoma. Thankfully our storm was over a much less populated area. 

On 4/21/2023 at 1:46 PM, Iceresistance said:

I know Weather.us has the radar archive, but does anyone have a site and/or an entire loop of the tornadoes with radar and velocity from Cole to Prague, OK?

Two ideas for you: Metorologist Stu Ostro's twitter feed has a nice loop that follows the storm.

You could use NOAA's archive and then import files of Level 2 and Level 3 data into Gibson Ridge products. I have some experience doing such things with both systems, but I don't know if that applies to you.

• THANKS 1