April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Hiramite

2 hours ago, Rush said:

Nice GFS run there.  No one sees it lol

Don't worry - it already changed. And will change several more times btwn then and now.

Besides, since the get go, my wife has assured me that we'll be in the best area of anyone - we will be in SW NY state 😉

image.thumb.png.baebf10a6a86a02dd5bb078ef650e8bc.png

Would probably be more useful to look at ensembles at this point, but I've been paying attention to trends on the op GFS and most runs have had some kind of system/unsettled weather somewhere in the central and/or eastern US on April 8.  Guess it would be kind of unreasonable to expect the entire eclipse path to be clear in early April.

• Admin
15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Would probably be more useful to look at ensembles at this point, but I've been paying attention to trends on the op GFS and most runs have had some kind of system/unsettled weather somewhere in the central and/or eastern US on April 8.  Guess it would be kind of unreasonable to expect the entire eclipse path to be clear in early April.

I've been peeping this.  It's getting me too optimistic. 

Screenshot_20240328_044951_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3736270ea4e148a611e27f88065d7e86.jpg

• LOVE 1

2 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Pouring over all the model data - at every level where moisture may obscure. Liking the trends over the past 48 hours for sure. 🙂

I am not liking this trend.  Seems like a cold front might be moving through Texas that day.  Need it to clear early enough to be behind it.

NWS Dallas has a special eclipse forecast in their long range discussion.

Some dynamical guidance continues to capture Monday, April 8, but
the output is still skewed toward climatology. The vast majority
of solutions keep North and Central Texas in the south flow
regime following next week`s cold front. With a steadily
moistening boundary layer, this would favor nocturnal/morning
stratus. Climatology portends that early April stratus is unlikely
to effectively erode. On those occasions that erosion occurs, it
does so by midday (prior to eclipse time). If not, low clouds
linger through the afternoon. Based on the dynamical output,
GFS/CMC/ECMWF ensembles all demonstrate springtime stratus in
their cloud probabilities. On the bright side, they all favor
effective erosion, but climatology would place the eclipse-time
cloud gradient near the path of totality.
Edited by Rush
  • LIKE 1

2 hours ago, Rush said:

I am not liking this trend.  Seems like a cold front might be moving through Texas that day.  Need it to clear early enough to be behind it.

NWS Dallas has a special eclipse forecast in their long range discussion.

Some dynamical guidance continues to capture Monday, April 8, but
the output is still skewed toward climatology. The vast majority
of solutions keep North and Central Texas in the south flow
regime following next week`s cold front. With a steadily
moistening boundary layer, this would favor nocturnal/morning
stratus. Climatology portends that early April stratus is unlikely
to effectively erode. On those occasions that erosion occurs, it
does so by midday (prior to eclipse time). If not, low clouds
linger through the afternoon. Based on the dynamical output,
GFS/CMC/ECMWF ensembles all demonstrate springtime stratus in
their cloud probabilities. On the bright side, they all favor
effective erosion, but climatology would place the eclipse-time
cloud gradient near the path of totality.

Their discussion demonstrates, in part, why I'm more optimistic when considering eroding stratus aspect and viewing RH and PWAT charts on the Ensembles. 

Weather World from PSU did an excellent WxYZ segment on this last night. While they also mention climo, they showed a GEFS/EENS map that had the zone I'll be in W NY to be <50 cloud. 

So I'll remain optimistic. It may come down to mere increments of an hour or so to make or break any given scenario (other than totally clear) Even with some clouds (as opposed to full on rain and deep layered deck) the effect in totality will be stunning.

• THUMBS UP 1

6 hours ago, MaineJay said:

These are encouraging. 

gfs-ens_z500a_us_48.png

gem-ens_z500a_us_48.png

ec-aifs_z500a_us_47.png

Things can certainly change, but it is starting to look like the climo play of viewing the eclipse in Texas may be more iffy than being much farther northeast.  

• THUMBS UP 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Things can certainly change, but it is starting to look like the climo play of viewing the eclipse in Texas may be more iffy than being much farther northeast.  

Not sure if this is the correct cloud fraction to use to show how much cloud coverage will be at that time, but it does not look good for Texas and central states.

Note, tropical tidbits could not give me any cloud fraction for the entire US in one shot.  Only seems to be available on zoomed in regions.

image.thumb.png.1481fe6208b300ba71b6089e99024d48.png

image.thumb.png.97f4fae35cddc4d38e1fd037e16e65b9.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Something I pondered for years….how is it that the size and/or distance of the moon is just such that it perfectly covers the sun? 

I’ll create the thread in US Active Weather tomorrow AM.

• LIKE 2

1 minute ago, Hiramite said:

Something I pondered for years….how is it that the size and/or distance of the moon is just such that it perfectly covers the sun? 

It is wild, isn't it?  Sun is about 400 times larger than the moon, but it's about 400 times farther away.  Makes you wonder.

• LIKE 2

31 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Yeah its wild considering the sun is around .  Pretty much the same as someone photobombing your picture.  Closer they are to the lens, the more you see of them rather than your subject.

And something to ponder in that the sun is around 865,000 miles in diameter.  Which means in order for the moon to eclipse it totally, the moon has to be extremely close to earth.

Solar Eclipse Activities for the Elementary Classroom - That Teaching Spark  | Science jokes, Solar eclipse activity, Science humor

• LIKE 1

Every run is so different at this point.  I am not too worried yet.  Latest is a MaineJay special.  

All we can say right now is that there will be low pressure moving somewhere across the center of the country.  Hopefully it speeds up 12-24 hours and can clear out the majority of the eclipse path.

cloudcover.conus.png

• LIKE 1

Was looking around for videos of total eclipses that had extensive cloudiness.  Here's an example from 2017 where it gets quite dark... definitely darker than if the clouds had not been there.  This would've been around 1 pm.  

• LIKE 2

2 hours ago, Rush said:

Every run is so different at this point.  I am not too worried yet.  Latest is a MaineJay special.  

All we can say right now is that there will be low pressure moving somewhere across the center of the country.  Hopefully it speeds up 12-24 hours and can clear out the majority of the eclipse path.

cloudcover.conus.png

These cloud maps only show one part of the story. They don't at all show what type of cloud deck you're dealing with - only the coverage. 

Same time stamp same model - this time looking at H7 Rh and wind direction. With a near zero Rh and winds generally from the N, the Buffalo region will be quite cloud free overall, or have very thin veil of clouds - even though the cloud cover map suggests too cloudy

image.thumb.png.a56de8e7217fc11aacf6d8e5114e9b73.png

Also pWAT values quite low in that same region

image.thumb.png.ec1d62f48de9d6319b71215a50f8751c.png

So while the CC maps are a decent guide - they are but one level of information to consider 🙂

• LIKE 2

I think weather.us has cloud maps for multiple levels -- low, mid and high.  Those would be useful to look at.  If clouds are going to be around, you'd obviously rather have high clouds instead of a stratus deck or something.

• THUMBS UP 3

16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It is wild, isn't it?  Sun is about 400 times larger than the moon, but it's about 400 times farther away.  Makes you wonder.

Fun fact: The Moon is moving away from the Earth at approximately 1"/yr. In another several hundred thousand years (give or take) solar eclipses will no longer be possible on Earth.

Fun fact #2: When referring to our planet and its satellite, capitalization is mandatory. Thus we write, Earth and Moon - not earth and moon. 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Fun fact: The Moon is moving away from the Earth at approximately 1"/yr. In another several hundred thousand years (give or take) solar eclipses will no longer be possible on Earth.

Fun fact #2: When referring to our planet and its satellite, capitalization is mandatory. Thus we write, Earth and Moon - not earth and moon. 

#1:  As if we don't already have enough "fear of missing out" anxiety over this upcoming eclipse. :classic_laugh:

#2:  I would agree.  But there's debate.... https://www.edrdg.org/jmdict_edict_list/2019/msg00350.html