April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Hiramite

8 hours ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Question for those of you in the know. Is the path of totality complete for everyone inside of it? Because my house is inside of it, but not by much. If I stay there, will I get to see the whole kit and caboodle? Or do I need to be closer to the center?

If you go to timeanddate.com and find your exact location on the map it will tell you time of totality.  On the very edge you might have less than a minute vs a few minutes nearer the center.

• LOVE 1

Here's another good website for finding eclipse times for any location.  Just be aware that the times are given in UTC, so you'll have to subtract.  Most here are in the eastern time zone and we'll be in daylight savings time then, so subtract 4 hours.  Obviously adjust if you're in a different time zone.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2024_GoogleMapFull.html

• LIKE 1

I'd also recommend binoculars if you have them.  I had them for the 2017 eclipse (actually my dad's old pair) and it definitely enhances the experience during totality.  

• LIKE 1

• Admin
13 hours ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Question for those of you in the know. Is the path of totality complete for everyone inside of it? Because my house is inside of it, but not by much. If I stay there, will I get to see the whole kit and caboodle? Or do I need to be closer to the center?

You can find the exact length of duration using this site.   

https://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/SolarEclipses

If you are a mile or so inside the path, it might only be a minute or less of totality., just seconds at the very edge. 

For your area, I checked some places. Swenson's drive in on Ikea way gets 1 minute and 42 seconds.  Glenross golf club in/around Gregory gets 2 minutes and 18 seconds.  At the centerline in Ohio, you could get closer to 4 minutes.

• LOVE 1

3 hours ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Looks like I will have 27 seconds of totality from my house. Those websites are so cool! Thanks, friends!

Wow, you really are close to the line! 

Generally speaking, going just about 10 miles into the totality zone will get you about 2 minutes of totality so the times ramp up quickly.  

I've heard that being very, very close to the totality zone (say in an area with over 99% coverage) can produce some interesting effects, but obviously it's still best to get into totality. 

As far as bigger towns/cities, one of the interesting places here in Indiana is Kokomo.  The southern part of the city will experience totality, but the rest of Kokomo will not.

• LIKE 3

• Admin
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Wow, you really are close to the line! 

Generally speaking, going just about 10 miles into the totality zone will get you about 2 minutes of totality so the times ramp up quickly.  

I've heard that being very, very close to the totality zone (say in an area with over 99% coverage) can produce some interesting effects, but obviously it's still best to get into totality. 

As far as bigger towns/cities, one of the interesting places here in Indiana is Kokomo.  The southern part of the city will experience totality, but the rest of Kokomo will not.

Yeah, @MaineJay mentioned Swenson's, and that's literally 2.5 miles from my house. Crazy that it makes that much difference! My parents are in Hilliard (West of Columbus), and at their house, they'll get one minute of totality.. but my husband, who works like 2 miles from them, will only see 30 seconds. 

• LIKE 1

Just as an example over Indiana -- but the same type of thing applies elsewhere -- look how quickly the length of totality changes over relatively short distances.  Here's a map courtesy of greatamericaneclipse.com

Also, Indiana is the farthest northeast state that will experience a full 4 minutes of totality.  But areas near the center line farther east will still get very close to 4 minutes.

TSE2024_Indiana.thumb.jpg.3da6e1ecd5df42bc63196fb922dc41c1.jpg

• LIKE 1

SW New York mountain side bar venue from which we hope to view the event. Supposed to be under totality for 2min 17secs or some such. 

The package of special glasses and the camera filter arrived yesterday.

Reservations confirmed for both the event party and the room for the after party. 

May be the last one I get a chance to witness during my lifetime unless perhaps I travel. 

Screenshot 2024-03-09 133247.png

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• Admin

I wake up every morning and think to myself, "if the eclipse was today, would I pull the kids from school and make the drive?" Today looks like a no.

Is a 2 hour drive or so to totality, so not too bad, unless there is traffic, a big wildcard. Only a couple rural roads I could take, so they might be a little more congested than usual. 

Trying to decide if 1m15s at my dad's camp is enough.   It's a nice spot to see it, but only a few miles north I could almost double that time.

• LIKE 2

18 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I wake up every morning and think to myself, "if the eclipse was today, would I pull the kids from school and make the drive?" Today looks like a no.

Is a 2 hour drive or so to totality, so not too bad, unless there is traffic, a big wildcard. Only a couple rural roads I could take, so they might be a little more congested than usual. 

Trying to decide if 1m15s at my dad's camp is enough.   It's a nice spot to see it, but only a few miles north I could almost double that time.

Not too oddly, I suppose, we have had several inquiries from friends about their tagging along.

Mind you, we've made these arrangements for nigh a year and told everyone we know of our plans. We asked each person or couple we know, to join us - each declined at the time of our invitation. Ffwd to now and many have asked "where did you get a room - we can't seem to find any available"?! "Can we bunk in your room"?  "This might be really cool to experience" 

Sorry folks, we don't ask twice.  

The shadow map once it hits the latitude we'll be at (btwn Buffalo and Salamanca NY) 

image.thumb.png.b534e2b4d5719d0c7fd8bf9775d6c02b.png

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 1

8 hours ago, MaineJay said:

I'd try to get the most time in totality possible.

Where I am staying in Texas will have 4 minutes and 21 seconds.

Once we get in GFS range we should start a solar eclipse forecast thread in the weather forum

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

• Admin
17 hours ago, Hoosier said:

3 weeks from today.

This will come into view on the op GFS starting on March 23.

I'm already having as much, or more, anxiety over this weather forecast than any weather event I can remember.

• FLUSHED 1
  • THUMBS UP 4
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

CF-6 Cloud data for the last 4 Aprils at Youngstown OH, 30 miles east of me. Ugh!  2023 to 2020. (I'm closer to the Lake so probably cloudier.) 

image.png.9e953a9ce7d415dec9b9ca07f4e2fbcf.png

image.png.369a09667f3dbfdd906e8dc8f82f0008.png

image.png.ac418f9706ef807bc0c964543fa62b37.png

image.png.add18b717a0926f6b2edee58ece143de.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • YUCK 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

I'm already having as much, or more, anxiety over this weather forecast than any weather event I can remember.

We’ve been getting one sunny day a week of late and it’s starting to dawn on me that we just might not see it. 

• SAD 2

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

We’ve been getting one sunny day a week of late and it’s starting to dawn on me that we just might not see it. 

GYX has this, which suggests roughly 70% chance at cloud cover for many of us. 

Eclipse_Nino_Zoom_4.thumb.jpg.691bed1fb2f099936282e43ebd7695f3.jpg

• LIKE 2

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

We may need to travel farther if the cloud cover kills it for us.  For me on LI, I'm in the 60 to 70% cloud cover range.  Here are the locations of future eclipses.

https://time.com/4897581/total-solar-eclipse-years-next/

• LIKE 1

6 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Yeah I know.  The stakes are so high.  I only slept a couple hours the night before the August 2017 eclipse.  Was just feeling so amped up and constantly checking the cloud maps on the short term models.

I was thinking about this in terms of other kinds of weather.  If you're a storm chaser and you miss out on something, there's always tomorrow, or maybe next week, next month, or next year.  With solar eclipses, unless you're a globetrotter who is willing to travel around the world, it will be many years until the next chance here in the US.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

This website does a pretty good job walking you through the events of a total solar eclipse.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/total-solar-eclipse-what-to-see.html

Notice how much daylight there still is in the picture that is ~5 minutes before totality, when the sun would probably be >90% obscured at that point.  It will look weird (almost tinted) but still plenty light outside.  That's one of the things that took me by surprise in 2017.  I could not believe how much light there still was even just a minute or two before totality.  That final minute and especially those final seconds sees big changes taking place.

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1