March 30-April 1, 2023 | Severe Weather | Destructive Tornado Outbreak with a double High Risk

Iceresistance

For those interested, here's a brand spanking new short range forecast model for severe weather called Cb-WoFS that my brother-in-law has been working on for the past few years. This model runs every 30 min with new data input every 15 min and has proven to be quite accurate for super short range forecast.  https://cbwofs.nssl.noaa.gov/Forecast?model=WOFSRun20230331-141327&rd=20230331&rt=202303311730&product=uh_2to5__paintballs_thresh_70&sector=wofs

• LIKE 3

1 minute ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Many schools in the Level 5 risk area have chosen to dismiss early (including Arkansas).

As a school admin that is a very, very good call.

I have a senior and freshman that are on spring break and told my wife to make sure they are home tonight.  In our area that 10 to 12 timeframe could be pretty nasty.

Edited by beaver56
  • LIKE 1

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE, IL  

128 PM CDT FRI MAR 31 2023    

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION    

ISSUED AT 127 PM CDT FRI MAR 31 2023    

INITIAL CONCERNS CONTINUE TO HIGHLIGHT THE GROWING CLUSTER OF   CONVECTION NOW CROSSING FROM NORTHEAST MISSOURI INTO WEST-CENTRAL   ILLINOIS AS OF 1PM/18Z. THE PRIMARY QUESTION IS NOW FOCUSED ON HOW   FAR NORTHEAST SURFACE-BASED CONVECTION CAN REACH TO AND THEN   EXTEND INTO THE FORECAST AREA. LATEST CAM/WOFS GUIDANCE HAS BEEN   RATHER CONSISTENT WITH THE LONGEVITY OF MORE ROBUST CONVECTION   LASTING THROUGH OUR AREA FOR AREAS SOUTH OF A LINE FROM LA SALLE   COUNTY THROUGH THE SOUTHERN CHICAGO METRO. RAPID DESTABILIZATION   IS ONGOING THROUGH THE WARM SECTOR GIVEN AN UNUSUAL AND UNEXPECTED   AMOUNT OF CLEARING ACROSS MUCH OF ILLINOIS WITH THIS TYPE OF   DYNAMIC SYSTEM (NEARLY 70F ALL THE WAY INTO THE CHICAGO METRO). A   SUBTLE SURFACE MOISTURE DISCONTINUITY EXTENDING ESE FROM WEST   CENTRAL ILLINOIS HAS BECOME A BIT DIFFUSE EARLY THIS AFTERNOON,   BUT IS GRADUALLY LIFTING NORTHEAST AND CLOSING IN ON OUR FAR   SOUTHWEST CWA. NEAR TERM GUIDANCE SUPPORTS A RAPID EROSION OF   MLCIN INTO THE AFOREMENTIONED AREA OF OUR CWA CONCURRENT WITH   CONVECTION ARRIVING FROM THE SOUTHWEST (~3-5PM). THEREFORE, THE   LIKELIHOOD OF TRUE SURFACE-BASED CONVECTION ENTERING OUR CWA HAS   INCREASED EARLY THIS AFTERNOON. SEVERE WEATHER PARAMETERS FAVOR   ALL SEVERE HAZARDS, INCLUDING AN INHERENT RISK FOR STRONG   TORNADOES WITH ANY FULLY SURFACE-BASED SUPERCELLS. THE GREATEST   RISK INITIALLY FAVORS INTO THE SOUTHWEST CWA, BUT IF THE STORMS   CAN KEEP PACE WITH THE NORTHEAST MOISTURE TRANSPORT, WE NEED TO   KEEP A VERY CLOSE EYE INTO EAST-CENTRAL IL THROUGH THE SOUTHERN   CHICAGO METRO.    

KLUBER  

Edited by Hoosier
  • LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, nwohioweather said:

Still pretty cloudy here in NW Ohio

Not really much expected around here anyways. Maybe a nice little squall around 10pm-midnight with some gusty winds and a rumble of thunder but that’s about it. 

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, NWOhioChaser said:

Not really much expected around here anyways. Maybe a nice little squall around 10pm-midnight with some gusty winds and a rumble of thunder but that’s about it. 

Yep, I'm in Defiance, so pretty close to that Moderate, but the clouds are helping me stay a bit more relaxed about it.