March 12-15, 2023 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

If you look at Nam and even gfs to an extent it is creating two surface reflections due to the way it is handling the energy in the flow at 500mb 

90F718CE-5D11-4065-957A-12F5015F1E17.thumb.png.b0be678a5357fbec52a52da9cef4f3d2.png

you can see the issue under high resolution, not to be too confused with convective feedback this is more of an issue with the consolidation of energy within a long wave.   

this issue won’t resolve until almost right up until game time.  The backwards J type of miller B storms always cone with a couple surprises.  

someone poconos on north I can see getting buried. 

• LIKE 4

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, Poco said:

If you look at Nam and even gfs to an extent it is creating two surface reflections due to the way it is handling the energy in the flow at 500mb 

90F718CE-5D11-4065-957A-12F5015F1E17.thumb.png.b0be678a5357fbec52a52da9cef4f3d2.png

you can see the issue under high resolution, not to be too confused with convective feedback this is more of an issue with the consolidation of energy within a long wave.   

this issue won’t resolve until almost right up until game time.  The backwards J type of miller B storms always cone with a couple surprises.  

someone poconos on north I can see getting buried. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh84_trend.gif

Yea that little piece of energy is going to throw the models in a tizzy but that is some deepening folks like to see. We have backed the storm up from capturing near boston to NYC. If at 500mb can start reaching around Delmarva this may be quite the storm.

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Woof from the CMC areas just NW of NY through western CT and Western Mass get rocked. Here is the progression of the 700mb fronto you can see the two distinct bands. The coastal badn most likely may have issues with BL but with some elevation things could change quick.

It also looks like models are trying to do a quicker capture of the system. Putting areas from Eastern PA and Poconos in play initially. Elevation should do better with some good lift across the region. Should be interesting to see as the afternoon goes on and the Euro comes out.

gem_temp_adv_fgen_700_neus_fh72-108.gif

gem_temp_adv_fgen_700_neus_fh84_trend.gif

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
9 minutes ago, Brodozer1 said:

i just don't see a big snowstorm temps still locked in the 40s in my area 

One thing consistent is the area of SE NY to about Albany and Western Mass need to pay attention they should be able to hold cold enough. Depending on just how much wiggling there is left is not certain would at least wait until 00z to get at least two runs of consistency. If we can get that I would also expand a bit of coverage for snow closer to the coast as the bombing low should do enough. Sub 985 should do it fine sub 980 and we have quite the storm. Areas still in eastern Mass/ RI/ and much of CT should still keep an eye as it could go from a rain to snow situation. Areas of NE PA and northern NJ should also pay attention as small changes will start to add up as they are on the doorstep to some snow.

Most are looking at no more than 10:1 probably the closer to the rain line 8:1 areas that transition could pick up a couple inches still maybe even enough to warrant warnings depending on just how quick things cool off.

This does not look like a 16" plus widespread more along the lines of 5-10" and elevation could top a 12-14" may have some random lollipops higher where best lift sets up and it is all snow, 2-5" in transition areas and on the western side type of deal.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

So when we’re talking about a coastal low like this setup, with there not being any true cold air (MJ spoke on this earlier.) We don’t have much CAA going on is my assumption, more so trying to rely on ‘lift’ cooling the columns in heavy QPF areas? 

edit: just looking  at the surface temps Rex posted this is warm looking and the moisture transport off the ocean would be warm/high dew points. I see some rain showers in Canada 🫠.

So even with a decent track and some blocking still missing that fresh cold air supply really weakens these setups for let’s say south of NY/PA boarder.

Edited by TLChip

• Meteorologist
19 minutes ago, TLChip said:

So when we’re talking about a coastal low like this setup, with there not being any true cold air (MJ spoke on this earlier.) We don’t have much CAA going on is my assumption, more so trying to rely on ‘lift’ cooling the columns in heavy QPF areas? 

edit: just looking  at the surface temps Rex posted this is very warm looking and the moisture transport off the ocean would be warm/high dew points. 

Correct the air is going to just be so saturated, like a sponge, for this time of year. Model outputs for QPF have been 1.5-3" across SNE and SE NY. You can see the airmass on the SPC meso page is rather meh behind this system cool but not cold (-4 to-8 C). What this lead system is doing is throwing a make shift WAA if you will cause it is not pulling on cold air from Canada rather the upper Midwest allowing the upper levels to warm and moisten up a bit cutting down on evap cooling to help aid before the storm really kicks in. This will modify in the March daytime so we need strong lifting to compensate for any cold missing. Areas that typically stay cold should do well but with an easterly/south easterly jet setting up you flood the lower levels up to about 3000-4000 AGL. So technically 850mbs may just be ok but unless you have elevation to compensate for melting in that layer, this will cause rain because of the steady warm push until that gets choked off and or the column can cool enough.

850mb.gif

gfs_mslp_uv850_us_fh78-96.gif

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

I’ve been lurking all winter and didn’t want to have to pull this card out. We have two sites and this winter has been terrible, so why doesn’t someone kiss and make up so we all get snow. 

Asking for a friend, and that friend is me.

All joking aside pretty sure my backyard is going to be on the literal line of the rain/snow one on this one. 

• Meteorologist

Euro picking up what the CMC is throwing down. There is still room for this to occur quicker but we will see about that. Wouldn't be surprised if by 00z things are about the same watches come out.

This had some ratios that would border 12:1 across SE NY and ALbany west Mass area. Would push that area solifly to over a foot. Maybe we do see s olid chunk of the area get 16"?

ecmwf_mslp_pcpn_neus_fh48-120.gif

ecmwf_z500_vort_neus_fh48-120.gif

• SNOWMAN 1

• Moderators

ScreenShot2023-03-10at2_53_40PM.png.3169c72109c3d02605df8a065f480b7b.png

Interesting....Burlington NWS basically saying....

70jk8jtyl6a31.jpg.aa58be0c196b8260cfbbd1564d7ba1e2.jpg

By early Monday morning, there
could be some snow showers moving through the region, especially
in northern New York where there could be a dusting to a
quarter inch of snow accumulating and winds out of the southeast
picking up. There`s still some vast differences in model
guidance, particularly in location of surface low pressures and
how quickly energy transfer processes take place as a coastal
low develops. Run to run, deterministic models are lacking in
consistency in these areas as well, with a large margin of
error. However, there is good confidence that precipitation will
occur sometime Monday-Tuesday. Highest chance of precip will be
in the St. Lawrence Valley and terrain locations Monday
afternoon/night, with PoPs 80-90% into Tuesday night.

Edited by telejunkie

59 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

ScreenShot2023-03-10at2_53_40PM.png.3169c72109c3d02605df8a065f480b7b.png

Interesting....Burlington NWS basically saying....

70jk8jtyl6a31.jpg.aa58be0c196b8260cfbbd1564d7ba1e2.jpg

I think they got burned a couple times this winter and decided not to be bullish this late in winter without having much cold air involved.  Now this will probably be our biggest storm of the year and they'll have to play catch up.  Now I'm wishcasting.

• LIKE 1
  • CYCLONE 1

• Social Media Crew
3 minutes ago, Poco said:

Gmao 12z 

3E87C733-E57C-4398-8977-D6C5C4B6D007.png

B25CA48D-964E-4E03-A6E9-0261646A611A.png

Man.. that’s close to making me happy in SCPA. Will be happy for anyone that’s cashed in on this one. Would be nice for E/SE PA. 

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Penn State said:

Man.. that’s close to making me happy in SCPA. Will be happy for anyone that’s cashed in on this one. Would be nice for E/SE PA. 

As long as it doesn’t pull this…

image.gif.05e7459edc89f3b560c98ee61996e643.gif

• LAUGH 2

• Social Media Crew
1 minute ago, TLChip said:

As long as it doesn’t pull this…

image.gif.05e7459edc89f3b560c98ee61996e643.gif

It’s been that kind of season.. but this looks like a winner for NEPA up through interior NE. 

Would like to see the shorter range models and how they handle the main pieces and the Atlantic ridge before I’m really confident in location.    But yea it does feel like this is leaning towards a crush job for someone somewhere, especially to a localized section where a cap pivot stall may take place 

• LIKE 6

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, TheRex said:

I think they got burned a couple times this winter and decided not to be bullish this late in winter without having much cold air involved.  Now this will probably be our biggest storm of the year and they'll have to play catch up.  Now I'm wishcasting.

MJ earlier posted the cyclone track for the overnight UKie...

140.track.current.thumb.png.3553e11fb68ad38a5b0c47912dfa54a5.png.987d090ac5e665d627b73b256a868500.png

And that "track" still produced this:

ScreenShot2023-03-10at4_52_39PM.thumb.png.1214e3f13ab3935f496ff95637d81af2.png

Feeling pretty confident we're inline for a high-impact event....of course there is still potential things fall apart, but think putting "snow showers" out there doesn't do folks any favors either.

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 1
  • THINKING 1
  • FLUSHED 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

@TheRex Burlington did remove snow showers or mention of rain in their forecast here in their afternoon update. Now just "Snow"

Looks like backcountry skiing may finally be coming in here in Southern VT....see if it lasts more than a few days....🙄

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 5.06.56 PM.png

• LIKE 4

• Admin
51 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

MJ earlier posted the cyclone track for the overnight UKie...

140.track.current.thumb.png.3553e11fb68ad38a5b0c47912dfa54a5.png.987d090ac5e665d627b73b256a868500.png

And that "track" still produced this:

ScreenShot2023-03-10at4_52_39PM.thumb.png.1214e3f13ab3935f496ff95637d81af2.png

Feeling pretty confident we're inline for a high-impact event....of course there is still potential things fall apart, but think putting "snow showers" out there doesn't do folks any favors either.

It's funny how all these storms seem to have an inverted trof focus. All the best storms over here this winter have been like 24 hour affairs.  I hate relying on what I remember, because memory can be so selective.

I wonder if that ukie run had a bit of a double barrel low structure, but the cyclone tracking only picked up on the dominant low.

Anywho, gotta be honest, was hoping to see more 970s solutions today.  Feeling like the weak solutions might have some real localized lollipops, whereas those stuck in the lighter stuff might get screwed. 

Gotta take time of day into account too probably, again, winners and losers.  

Who gets into the best overlap in the winter weather ingredient ven diagram. 

Hunter Mt?

• LIKE 1