March 12-15, 2023 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Admin
16 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Let's see where this goes, hopefully not those few in the lakes 😁

trend-gefsens-2023030812-f120.sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.thumb.gif.0138606e53399c7a626fa8b83f8589dc.gif

Not worried about those ones in the lakes.  They are associated with the northern stream feature that phases in, and are fading as the coastal deepens.

It's kind of a Miller A/B hybrid I feel like.

It also might be the case that if that lakes low is stronger, it might mean an overall stronger system.

Here's the ECMWF for illustration.  You can see the northern feature wane as is merges with the coastal.

ecmwf_mslp_pcpn_us_fh84-135.thumb.gif.47046b55f0048753ae0177b9f6a51aa9.gif

I'm also extremely hesitant to buy the loop at this range, strength too, those two aspects are really hard to hold for another 100 hours.

bill-hader-eating-popcorn.gif.9b69bdfa417ed87af781f685e75abfb8.gif

• THUMBS UP 2

A lot to be ironed out. Is the previous pattern scoured out? Seems that there is some kind of influence. One would think this thing gets kicked off Delmarva and bombs out. But gfs isn’t biting. 
Sorry in advance. Downing a bottle of vino and I’m sick of winter. Go big or go home!

Edited by Rickrd
  • LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
10 hours ago, Brodozer1 said:

temps just don't support snow it is what it is but maybe one of these storms can surprise. 

I believe I haven't seen rain since January 26, and the 6" of show that fell that day largely survived.  

Have to go back to January 13 for my last "pure rain" event.

• SAD 1

• Admin

BOX

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday...high amplitude pattern with high latitude
blocking supporting potential East Coast cyclone. 12z deterministic
(including UKMET) and ensembles offering some very strong/deep
solutions near/over SNE, but also with large differences in location
and intensity. Hence, keeping this portion of the forecast
probabilistic vs deterministic, especially at this time range.
Typical model struggles include amplitude of lead and trailing short
wave energy, and the separation and interaction of these features.
Lots of run to run variability, so just need to be patient and wait
for guidance to convergence. It is worth mentioning, if any of these
high amplitude solutions come to fruition, a high impact event is
possible especially if heavy wet snow materializes. Something we
need to watch over the next few days into the weekend.

&&

3 hours ago, MaineJay said:

I believe I haven't seen rain since January 26, and the 6" of show that fell that day largely survived.  

Brag much?

😚

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 2

3 hours ago, MaineJay said:

The 2022-23 snow king has spoken! Ha ha, you’re killing us with that post MJ! Hasn’t had pure rain in almost 2 months….first world problems. The rest of us will see if we can scrounge for some snow crumbs! 

seriously though, good on you! Brag on!

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2

• Social Media Crew

ECMWF.. Right along the coast, but quite warm this run with more precipitation of the liquid variety for most. Would like to assume something in between this and the GFS.. but really, that doesn’t make me happy. I want a beast.. but not at the expense of snow.. and I don’t want it to be weak sauce either, even with snow, because I want more than an inch. So.. I what I want is a storm powerful enough to generate its own cooling. So, let’s work on that lol 

C73935B4-F593-48EA-B6A7-3D72C936A9D3.thumb.png.bc82de2d1997fda88323a868871f7251.png

• Admin
6 hours ago, CandO100 said:

The 2022-23 snow king has spoken! Ha ha, you’re killing us with that post MJ! Hasn’t had pure rain in almost 2 months….first world problems. The rest of us will see if we can scrounge for some snow crumbs! 

seriously though, good on you! Brag on!

I'm really just touting the benefits of living at 44°N. 😊 Able to salvage some snow amidst the 3rd warmest winter in 75 years.

GFS trend. Looks like the energies week be sampled 12z tomorrow.  Still have to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic a bit before we know how she's going to go down.  Would be nice to have a sharper, if not deeper southern trof for the spunky northern vort to drop into.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh78_trend.thumb.gif.bbde38b038564d97b144cc3716dcd0a6.gif

Again, note the changes near James Bay, that's the "finger" of Hudson Bay that sticks down if anyone was wondering.

• LIKE 1

• Admin

ECMWF wants to do a double loop 

110.track(2).thumb.png.adec03051bd6515ac2e64712b3b7b7ba.png

It's a kinda messy trof progression. The loops suggest different vort maxes rotating inside the longwave trof.  Really tough to nail down any specifics.  These loops happen a lot less frequently than modeled.

• CYCLONE 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

17 hours ago, MaineJay said:

wish i lived in Maine.