March 12-15, 2023 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

10 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Lol, and just like that. Just got an email that schools are closed.

Yup.  They’re all closing here, too.  I’m happy for the day off!

• LIKE 1

30°F, light snow falling, dusting on the ground so far. Doesn't look like it will amount to much this far north, but my drive south to work (Lebanon NH) should be interesting. 

• LIKE 2
  • CYCLONE 1

An intensifying low pressure system will track northeast along the coast towards the New England region Tuesday. This storm will produce heavy snowfall rates and strong winds across the higher summits and surrounding region from Tuesday into Wednesday. The low pressure system will approach the Gulf of Maine Tuesday as the central pressure of this storm continues to fall rapidly. Winds will quickly ramp up as pressure gradients tighten in association with this low pressure system, resulting in wind speeds nearing the century mark Tuesday. This storm is then forecasted to stall over the Gulf of Maine and then loop back to our east, which will allow for an extended period of heavier snowfall across the region Tuesday. Snowfall rates will increase starting Tuesday morning through the evening as convection continues to increase with this storm. Colder air will also start ushering into the region by Tuesday evening as winds shift northerly. As colder air quickly filters in with strong northerly winds, the onset of dynamic cooling will increase snowfall accumulations Tuesday night, with an additional 6 to 10 inches of snow possible across the higher summits. Winds may gust above 100 mph by Tuesday night due to pressure gradients tightening even further as this low pressure system continues to intensify. Snowfall will eventually decrease in intensity around midnight Tuesday night as this system begins to weaken. Snow will continue to fall across the higher summits throughout the day Wednesday with this system finally departing east by the afternoon. Upslope snow showers will gradually taper off by early Wednesday night and a clearing pattern will settle in over the higher summits as high pressure starts to build towards the region. A steep pressure gradient on the backside of the departing low will continue to produce elevated winds overnight Wednesday with decreasing winds into Thursday as high pressure crests over the region.

This storm will have the potential to bring significant snowfall accumulation to the higher summits over this forecast period. As of this morning, the White Mountains look to be in the 12-18 inch range with some southern summits possibly reaching 18-24 inches by the time this system exits and upslope snow showers end by Wednesday night. Winds at all elevations will also be increasing and shifting over this forecast period, which will result in blowing snow and generate deeper drifts that will continue to shift as winds rotate from E to NW from now to Wednesday night. Blowing snow combined with fog and heavy falling snow could lead to whiteout conditions at times near or above tree line during this forecast period. Nearby ravines and gullies could be affected as winds transport fallen snow, so remember to check the Mt. Washington Avalanche center for their assessment before traveling to higher terrain.

Alexis George -- Weather Observer and Meteorologist
Updated at 5:39 AM on Tuesday

The Whites looking to collect the goods today. 

• WOW 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MaineJay said:

The precip won't cross the Rubicon

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-GYX-N0B-20230314-0856-24-100.thumb.gif.529467b9203d9354e475dca3e7e0cce8.gif

Not many on here so I'll interject.

Other than the below being my mental picture, what is the "Rubicon".  (One vague Google reference to possibly Down East Maine.)

image.png.96510be543d827c78b046255353af3b6.png

• LAUGH 2

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Not many on here so I'll interject.

Other than the below being my mental picture, what is the "Rubicon".  (One vague Google reference to possibly Down East Maine.)

image.png.96510be543d827c78b046255353af3b6.png

I was arbitrarily using Rt302 which runs from Portland to Fryeburg. 

Screenshot_20230314-074157.thumb.png.ce959363d964ea0e301e51be362567ba.png

The precip didn't really want to cross over.  It's not uncommon for things to peter out near the ME/NH border at the onset of storms due to dry, NE flow that funnels down.

You know you’re desperate when you’re here and you hope that maybe that wrap around gives you some snow showers, none of it is going to stick of course but would like to see flakes for the what the 4th time all winter. 

00C725AC-3B31-44CE-8D9F-CE893BDE99D8.png

Edited by Chris2333
  • DISAPPOINTED 1
  • SAD 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

Woke up to half inch of snow which was .04 of qpf.  Total rain of 1.25.  Been snowing all morning, not really adding up to much.  The walkway I cleared is covered, as is the driveway.  Road is clear, but not stopping the plows from plowing it up.

• LIKE 2
  • SNOWMAN 1

Slushy coating on unpaved surfaces.  The Rhododendrons tell me it's above freezing.  Rainy-splotty snow...more rain than splot at this time.  Foggy.  I'd be okay if it amounted to nothing more than this.

• LIKE 1