March 12-15, 2023 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

1 hour ago, telejunkie said:

That looks like a @jbrumberg jackpot

Mount Snow may be the place to ski come Wednesday. 

I hope I didn't jinx myself but I gassed up the snowblower and sprayed Pam on the blades and chute.  BTV is still stingy with snow in my area but it seems models have moved me from the northern fringe into the heavier snows now. 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Hobie said:

Higher elevations in Litchfield County [like, above 500 ft] had those snow splats, with the temp at a steady 37° on the car thermometer.  Once below 500', it was almost exclusively rain.  This in the last hour.

We were over 500' too when I saw them.  Just a couple.  Got your attention.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

That's not the construction industries fault... It's the local jurisdictions. They have so many rules in place, it's punishing if you build a home for the average person in the NE. Same with apartment complexes. Sure you can own one - even build it - but you better make sure you lose money because if you don't, we'll fine you anyway. So construction and even landlords just quit the whole process because it's simply not worth it. 

I'm traveling on I81 back home. Beautiful weather. 

Also it's 1845 and the sun is still shining. Winter is breathing its last. 

Around here it's pure capitalism....buddies can make so much more off that one big job rather than multiple small jobs. But it comes with a cost as the clientele can be the worst people to work for and much more likely to screw you over (or nickel and dime you). I get to hear it on the regular. We have a townhouse complex being build in Manchester...everyone thought it was suppose to be affordable housing....then found out they were to be listed for like $1.2 million each. Guess that the "affordable housing" these days being built.

Steady snow coming down now. Temps backing down to 34F. Hopefully can start accumulations soon.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, TheRex said:

I hope I didn't jinx myself but I gassed up the snowblower and sprayed Pam on the blades and chute.  BTV is still stingy with snow in my area but it seems models have moved me from the northern fringe into the heavier snows now. 

Think you're going to need to be patient and wait for it...but believe it will come. Just guessing it will be late in the game though.

This one has Magic Mtn written all over it in my book....wind protected from eastern gusts and in a prime upslope spot. 

Edited by telejunkie
  • SNOWMAN 1

4 minutes ago, TheRex said:

Crazy how this system keeps shifting all the way to the end. 

Light snow continues like it has all day. It is having a much easier time sticking, 31F. Not expecting much here since things have trended so much to the northeast. I'd say so far 1" has fallen, maybe 2"? Most of it has melted but now there's a nice coating.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, TheComet said:

Light snow continues like it has all day. It is having a much easier time sticking, 31F. Not expecting much here since things have trended so much to the northeast. I'd say so far 1" has fallen, maybe 2"? Most of it has melted but now there's a nice coating.

I would say to exercise caution...as stated in the thread earlier, it's a very dynamic system. The fact you're already at 31F (i'm still at 34F) should be a sign that there may be some fireworks. MJ pointed out that the ULL is seemingly quite vigorous. Moisture transport is looking rather robust atm.

• THUMBS UP 1

Look, I got nothing and have had nothing to write home about all winter here in Williamsport's southern outpost (Maryland), but rooting for JD Clap in Williamsport north (PA) and all the folks up north. If you get snow, congrats and enjoy!

I now live my "snow life" by watching videos like the ones below. Incredible snow amounts in the Sierra's and these videos capture it well. If you are a snow nerd like me and love everything about snow, you'll love these videos. Massive snow walls/piles, heavy equipment to remove snow and watching people live life in these places blows my mind. 

By the way, I serviced my lawnmower on Presidents Day and fired it up. I may start mowing grass very soon. 

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 2
  • SAD 1
  • WOW 1

22 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

38 and drips.

This summarizes my experience so far

lots of drips 

the back end of this storm is going to have a lot of work to do to hit the 12-18” lol

radar looks similar to HRRR but I don’t note anything in the way of surprises just yet that’s for sure

• LIKE 1
  • FIRE 1