March 12-15, 2023 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

9 hours ago, MDBlueridge said:

Beautiful out there. Snowing lightly. 30F with freezing fog. Will try and get a pick when sun rises. @Rush anything?!

It snowed about 5 hours here yesterday afternoon.  No accumulation.

My wife sent me a picture where 70 crosses south mountain with snow on the ground.  

Total winter snowfall here: .25 inches.

• LIKE 1
  • SAD 3

5 minutes ago, dominio said:

So going to have to sell my wife on moving to a lake effect snow belt or as close to Mt washington  as I can get...born in Minn stuck on li

After going to The Whites once I’ve been hooked. I’d settle for anywhere within 2 hours driving distance, 9 is a long trip. 

• LIKE 1

• Admin
9 minutes ago, dominio said:

So going to have to sell my wife on moving to a lake effect snow belt or as close to Mt washington  as I can get...born in Minn stuck on li

Just now, TLChip said:

After going to The Whites once I’ve been hooked. I’d settle for anywhere within 2 hours driving distance, 9 is a long trip. 

Oxford hills aren't bad, plenty of Mt Washington views, reliable snow. You can still find some *reasonable* priced properties, but it's tough.  Lots of folks have relocated to the area in the last 3 years.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Hunter Mt jackpot?

Looking at afternoon models, NAM is the only one keeping it a Hunter Mtn. jackpot. Seems like Stratton Mtn. or Mt Washington are possibly taking over the role.

Well while it snowed all day, the intensity has very light (with one 5 minute exception) with no accumulations. A little more coherent band is starting to push into the area and intensity starting to pick up. Temp currently at 36F.

• LIKE 2

• Admin
Just now, telejunkie said:

Looking at afternoon models, NAM is the only one keeping it a Hunter Mtn. jackpot. Seems like Stratton Mtn. or Mt Washington are possibly taking over the role.

Well while it snowed all day, the intensity has very light (with one 5 minute exception) with no accumulations. A little more coherent band is starting to push into the area and intensity starting to pick up. Temp currently at 36F.

EPS targets areas to your south.

ens_2023031312_ne_24h_sfi_SFC_36.thumb.png.905fb5285424d6cbe37a5652425da205.png

• LIKE 1

46 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Oxford hills aren't bad, plenty of Mt Washington views, reliable snow. You can still find some *reasonable* priced properties, but it's tough.  Lots of folks have relocated to the area in the last 3 years.

Yeah was talking to a few locals, most homes aren't affordable. Most houses got bought by second/vacation homeowners.

Edited by TLChip

• Moderators

Trip from Yale to home rain with an occasional splat of snow closer to home.  Temp in New Haven was 46 and it was 38 when we got back. Stupid me left the phone charger and laptop at home...

• LIKE 1
  • FACEPALM 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Yeah was talking to a few locals, most homes aren't affordable. Most houses got bought by second/vacation homeowners.

One of the worst aspects to me is that almost everyone I know in construction is building or working exclusively on multi-million dollar homes. No ones building affordable homes around here. One buddy who is a tiler is currently working on a house with 10 bathrooms plus all the fixings you might expect with sauna, glacial bath, etc. then plus the kitchen. He's there for like 6 months. They'll probably come up just for Christmas week and the house will sit empty most of the year...but I digress as that's just speculation....storm at hand.

Snow intensity now up to light snow...mountain across the street completely blurred out.

• LIKE 1

• Admin
20 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

One of the worst aspects to me is that almost everyone I know in construction is building or working exclusively on multi-million dollar homes. No ones building affordable homes around here. One buddy who is a tiler is currently working on a house with 10 bathrooms plus all the fixings you might expect with sauna, glacial bath, etc. then plus the kitchen. He's there for like 6 months. They'll probably come up just for Christmas week and the house will sit empty most of the year...but I digress as that's just speculation....storm at hand.

Snow intensity now up to light snow...mountain across the street completely blurred out.

That's not the construction industries fault... It's the local jurisdictions. They have so many rules in place, it's punishing if you build a home for the average person in the NE. Same with apartment complexes. Sure you can own one - even build it - but you better make sure you lose money because if you don't, we'll fine you anyway. So construction and even landlords just quit the whole process because it's simply not worth it. 

I'm traveling on I81 back home. Beautiful weather. 

Also it's 1845 and the sun is still shining. Winter is breathing its last. 

• MELTING 1

2 hours ago, dominio said:

I did that 7 years ago. Moved from NJ to northwestern VT. We didn't know a soul in the area but we wanted a different lifestyle. Now when we go back to NJ we can't believe we lived so close to people. 

Northeastern VT or northwestern NH gets lots of snow if you are looking for a place that may have close to 6 months of winter. 

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

59 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Trip from Yale to home rain with an occasional splat of snow closer to home.  Temp in New Haven was 46 and it was 38 when we got back. Stupid me left the phone charger and laptop at home...

Higher elevations in Litchfield County [like, above 500 ft] had those snow splats, with the temp at a steady 37° on the car thermometer.  Once below 500', it was almost exclusively rain.  This in the last hour.

• LIKE 2