March 9-10, 2023 | Plains/MW/OV/GL Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

1 hour ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

still outside looking in by 1-2 counties *sigh*

I'd love to see you surprised with this bugger.

I do  not want it, but hope others that do see some.  My brain is in spring mode 🙂

1 hour ago, RobB said:

I'd love to see you surprised with this bugger.

I do  not want it, but hope others that do see some.  My brain is in spring mode 🙂

I need the proper closure on this winter 😄whether it sticks or not I need to see a couple inches fall from the sky 

• THUMBS UP 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Could be a grass topper plus.  Perhaps even a candidate for biggest snowfall this season at ORD?!  

This storm does have a better airmass to work with compared to the recent one which was heavily driven by dynamic cooling.  Barring a northern shift in track, temps should drop below freezing in N IL during the storm.  A lot of it also falls after dark in our area.  All in all, I think some reasons for optimism, which we have not had too much this season.

Good point that a lot falls overnight so that could help.

Seeing a signal for some lake enhancement for the western shores of WI/IL as delta T's get into the low teens or so.  Shouldn't add a whole lot to totals, but maybe just enough to be noticeable.

Was going through the 00z Euro and I don't know, but the placement of the freezing line seems a little suspect.  Focusing on the northern IL area, it's taking until 9-12z Friday for temps to drop to/below freezing.  850 mb temps are -4 to -5, and with good precip rates and being after dark, I don't know why it would take that long for sfc temps to drop.  Not saying it will be a big error, but it seems like it should be a degree or two cooler than Euro is suggesting.

• Moderators

All globals showing that brutal cut-off on the southern edge.

East of the Mississississippippippi; Euro furthest south, Canadian furthest north, GPS middle ground.

Edited by Hiramite

Wonder if DTX will go high end advisory or WSW for this one.

Edit: Could have just read the AFD. They mention that totals exceeding 6” is only in the 10-30% range so a WSW won’t be issued, and will instead be an advisory event.

E4796116-D404-4E61-AF10-5E7E81BC5ECD.png

Edited by easton229

• Moderators

I don't want to derail this thread, but as this is the 15th anniversary,  I posted a detailed write-up by CLE NWS in the Way Back Machine (Historical Weather) section on the March 2008 storm in OH.  Please post any comments there.

https://www.wxsphere.com/topic/326-march-2008-ohio-snowstorm/

Edited by Hiramite
  • LOVE 3