March 9-10, 2023 | Plains/MW/OV/GL Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Snowbelted said:

33.3° and about an inch and a half on the grassy surfaces. Light but steady snow currently. Snowblower remains safely parked.

Eyeballing just a bit less than that here.  Snow is picking up every so slightly as some better returns curling in from the west.   It should be interesting this evening to see how things pan out.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Big ol’ fat flakes falling as the deform band pivots thru. 35°.  Lots of compaction. It has stayed snow all day although night time would have been the right time. 

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1

• The title was changed to March 9-10, 2023 | Plains/MW/OV/GL Winter Storm
  • Moderators

CLE’s 1:00 update.  Sad but true.

Not the first time this winter where marginal boundary layer temperatures and unfavorable diurnal timing have led to snow under-performing in the Cleveland metro. We were mesmerized by the large flakes that rained down at the office shortly before midday as the heart of the deformation band moved overhead, but even those struggled to cover the grass.

• SAD 1

1 hour ago, Hiramite said:

CLE’s 1:00 update.  Sad but true.

Not the first time this winter where marginal boundary layer temperatures and unfavorable diurnal timing have led to snow under-performing in the Cleveland metro. We were mesmerized by the large flakes that rained down at the office shortly before midday as the heart of the deformation band moved overhead, but even those struggled to cover the grass.

Love me some under-performing snow events! :classic_biggrin: If every winter was like this maybe I wouldn't despise it so much........

• FACEPALM 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

14 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

7PM will be a better guage because it's still snowing in most areas but you can already make the compare for areas like Chicago/Wilwaukee etc. Where depth was expected to be basically 0. 

Note the analysis runs through 6 A.M. central so anything that has fallen since and will continue to fall will be captured at 7pm est. Added radar shot for reference. Also worth noting it's important not to mix up a "model fail" with an algo fail, so it would be more accurate to look at qpf totals as well. The GFS seemed to have a good handle, so I've used the 12z from yesterday as snow was already making its way in to Iowa.

snod-imp.us_mw.png

snku_acc-imp.us_mw (10).png

nohrsc_48hsnow.us_mw.png

KIWX - Precipitation Depiction, 8_05 AM.png

Update on this analysis 

nohrsc_48hsnow.us_mw (1).png

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Update on this analysis 

nohrsc_48hsnow.us_mw (1).png

FWIW....I realize this can be more of an art than a science, but speaking only for my area, this map is on the high side.  For Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) no reports >1" and for Geauga, the county east of Cuyahoga, certainly values under the 2.5" min they show. The time of day, with temps rising above freezing during the heaviest snow, really put the kibosh on accums in E OH.

It's a tough game, this snow prediction & measuring business, especially in these marginal conditions.

image.png.b39bef598a24c3eef1d3c98c0b0422fd.png