March 10-11, 2023 | NE/Mid-Atl Winter Storm

MaineJay

• Admin

WPC

Farther to the east as the secondary low develops and becomes dominant, generally early D2 /Friday night into Saturday morning/ the inverted trough beneath the theta-e ridge should pivot southward along the Mid-Atlantic coast from near New York City to Philadelphia. Models fluctuate greatly with the position and intensity of this trough, and overall ascent is weakening with time, but this could result in a subtly over-performing snowfall somewhere near the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area or eastern PA. WPC probabilities are modest for 4 inches except in the higher terrain of the eastern Poconos and southern Catskills, but WSE plumes feature a lot of spread indicating the potential for some over-performing snow where this convergence band pivots into early Saturday morning.

This event could also produce some "conversational" snowflakes into the I-95 corridor as far south as Washington, D.C., either Friday morning in the WAA or Saturday morning as the inverted trough shifts southward, a big deal in an otherwise snow less winter so far for those areas.

• LIKE 2

• Admin
3 hours ago, LiveWire_13 said:

Hey, all. Feel a little weird posting here and not the other site, but I'll leave that for now. Nice to see so many familiar AW faces.

I watched Steven DiMartino's stream last night and he seemed sold on this winter's progressive trend keeping both storms from much beyond a little white rain and getting driven OTS. I'm curious to hear what y'all's thoughts are.

Welcome!  Glad you found us, you'll recognize a fair number of members.

I think with both storms, some snow is guaranteed. This threat seems to take an ESE track off the coast, best bet for snow is NW of the coastal if the inverted trof can be strong enough.

The subsequent threat has the higher ceiling, but there's a lot more uncertainty with regards to shortwave strength and degree of interaction.

• Social Media Crew
5 hours ago, LiveWire_13 said:

Where is the transition from primary low to coastal low projected to happen? Enjoy comparing models with active radar and finding where the differences lie.

For this one.. I was thinking somewhere off the Jersey coast. 

Rain becoming the favored ptype on SREFs on most recent run .. quickly stepping away from moderate accumulation potential.  Radar upstream doesn't inspire confidence, for me at least.  But, as of 4:30am, CTP says shut your mouth Clapper.

INMAREPA_ (2).gif

1.png

2.png

StormTotalSnow.jpg

Edited by JDClapper

• Social Media Crew
19 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Still ragged looking. Need that to fill in, or we ate looking at a low end bust, at best.

INMAREPA_.gif

That’s been my experience so far down south.. we had some flurries, but nothing substantial, and there’s not much filling in behind. 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, LiveWire_13 said:

I'm looking at the models but I can't tell - are either system pulling in more cold air? Would having one storm end up stronger or weaker generate more cold for frozen precip?

In both cases, the simplest "solution" is a stronger storm. Better precip rates are necessary to overcome the warmth near the surface. Upper levels look fine, but you can see it gets warmer as you go down in altitude.

Also, this storm does little too provide cold air for the next storm, no matter the strength, because it'll be drawing air off the ocean.

Screenshot_20230310-121724.png

Screenshot_20230310-121745.png

12 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

In both cases, the simplest "solution" is a stronger storm. Better precip rates are necessary to overcome the warmth near the surface. Upper levels look fine, but you can see it gets warmer as you go down in altitude.

Also, this storm does little too provide cold air for the next storm, no matter the strength, because it'll be drawing air off the ocean.

Screenshot_20230310-121724.png

Screenshot_20230310-121745.png

I read Clappers obs about it looking ragged. Wasn't sure how the primary being weaker than forecast would affect the coastal/temps.