March 1-3, 2023 | Severe Weather Outbreak

ElectricStorm

Really hard to tell with this being so close to the radar site. Possibly a small CC drop in the vicinity of the radar. Crossing between to/from winds on radar so not getting good look at the moment. 
D210B2F0-2844-46B7-BD76-D40A1763B8A4.thumb.gif.bfeff261df912fa4f0465b0b8c764c4f.gif

New tornado watch also issued for KY, extreme Southern IN. SPC remains pretty bullish on tornado probabilities. Sorry for the crappy picture, on my phone at the moment.

4B8CFBBE-E6E8-4702-83A3-DBB7621D0F8B.thumb.jpeg.43b1807ff99c10ff28e9dfaf38abc4ed.jpeg

Edited by ak9971

Tornado warning west of Bowling Green KY now. Storm is moving at 85mph! People certainly need to be paying attention today and I assume warnings will be issued well in advance as we saw in Dallas last night.

image.thumb.png.ee14bc394192081bbf98ffb80fe7c2b6.png

Edited by ak9971
  • THUMBS UP 1

Really strong wording on MCD just issued by SPC for Western Kentucky as the convection clears out and there is breaking in the clouds ahead of the front. Really crazy shear values present at the moment.

Also, 977mb observed at Paducah. Bonkers.

image.png.b0fec94640df8ea72b50aa74a8de2f9d.png

Mesoscale Discussion 0245
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1144 AM CST Fri Mar 03 2023

Areas affected...western Kentucky...far southern Indiana

Concerning...Tornado Watch 60...

Valid 031744Z - 031945Z

The severe weather threat for Tornado Watch 60 continues.

SUMMARY...A corridor of tornadoes and significant wind damage is
   likely over the next several hours.

DISCUSSION...An arcing line of storms is strengthening near a deep
   surface low, with 977 mb measured at the PAH observation at 17Z.
   Drying aloft is aiding clearing and surface heating now ahead of
   this line, which will further increase low-level instability. Shear
   profiles are extreme with 0-1 SRH over 500 m2/s2.

Both tornadoes and swaths of hurricane-force winds are expected with
   this line as it rapidly moves east coincident with the low. Enhanced
   lift where this line of storms intersects the warm front may be a
   favored area for a strong tornado as well.

..Jewell/Grams.. 03/03/2023

Edited by ak9971

Just now, ak9971 said:

Really strong wording on MCD just issued by SPC for Western Kentucky as the convection clears out and there is breaking in the clouds ahead of the front. Really crazy shear values present at the moment.

image.png.b0fec94640df8ea72b50aa74a8de2f9d.png

This is what I was worried about,  hopefully nothing bad happens over the next couple of hours but with shear like this and SRH values in the 500-800 m2/s2 range it can get pretty crazy.

• LIKE 1

Just now, Snow____ said:

That little pocket around Louisville.. guessing with parameters where they are going to be you don’t need the sunshine on a day like today. 

that's what I can't rationalize ... it's been raining here for some time, but I'm in the center of the circle in the mesoscale discussion. the temp is still in the mid-60's. I assume we'll be in the break soon and then the line in west KY is the problem. 

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

That little pocket around Louisville.. guessing with parameters where they are going to be you don’t need the sunshine on a day like today. 

I had similar thoughts but given the shear levels the SPC seems to think that area will still ramp up quickly. There's a solid 2ish hours between lines so seems like enough time to destabilize things. Not sure that will be the case up closer to SW Ohio but not really sure at the moment. We are on the very fringe of some of the parameters at least on the HRRR.

• LIKE 1

Just now, ak9971 said:

I had similar thoughts but given the shear levels the SPC seems to think that area will still ramp up quickly. There's a solid 2ish hours between lines so seems like enough time to destabilize things. Not sure that will be the case up closer to SW Ohio but not really sure at the moment. We are on the very fringe of some of the parameters at least on the HRRR.

Still in the 40’s here. It has warmed up a little though.  But yeah it’s been raining since I woke up at 9am. That usually means no severe weather lol.