March 3-4, 2023 | NE. Winter Storm

MaineJay

Not really worried about the precip shield at this time.  It came in much colder with tons more confluence up top.  The 850s only went above freezing in my area for a few hours.  Where it was much more the previous run.  00z was mainly sleet 

Edited by PA road DAWG
  • LIKE 1

7 minutes ago, WeatherFlash said:

Yeah the confluence already appears stronger on the 500 of the new gfs. 

Still some hope for us I-80 folks that this could trend just enough to remain mostly wintry.  Appears the timing is onset during mid PM now.. used to be just after dawn, not too long ago.

• LIKE 1

Just now, JDClapper said:

Still some hope for us I-80 folks that this could trend just enough to remain mostly wintry.  Appears the timing is onset during mid PM now.. used to be just after dawn, not too long ago.

Yeah. The runs today have certainly appeared to be playing catchup to the confluence. Makes for a couple days of fun tracking!..something that has been severely lacking most of the winter. 

• LIKE 2

3 minutes ago, WeatherFlash said:

Going to see what the canuck says before some shuteye. 

Also a step in the right direction.. transfers off central NJ instead of just south of LI.  Weaker primary, more confluence.  Sweet dreams

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

• Meteorologist
13 hours ago, PA road DAWG said:

Would be nice to get one to sag south for a change instead of drifting north.   We never had a -nao this winter, so maybe we’ll get lucky. 

We have definitely had a -NAO this winter just didn't work out for us in December. Still following the same pattern of how it progressed though with the warm spike and then average to slight cooler until we kick the -NAO pattern out by around mid month. Expecting a large storm potentially similar to how it shook out over Christmas for around the 3rd week of March.

Im all but hoping it stays warm at this point, Ill take thunderstorms. Had about an inch of snow (feel it was a little less than that) lets just make it a record and call winter already. lol

• LIKE 1

All winter JD, at least you’re seeing some accumulation lol. I think RDG might have 2” on the year.

I have some hope for the 12-15th period after that getting late for any big storms. Our fellow met above us has some hope for the next week as well, better than tracking 70 degree days imo. 

Edited by TLChip

• Moderators

So begins my day... well here at least

0z GFS v 0z Euro surface maps look pretty similar.  GFS slightly south of the Euro with the L.  However, the thickness lines couldn't be more different.  540 thickness on the GFS goes through RI/CT/NJ/PA.  Euro is near Rochester, Burlington, Franconia, and York ME. 

0zgfssfc.thumb.png.de267533fb1be78a0a768f350d0b1ad7.png

0zeurosfc.thumb.png.44b2db756525783b3e98e999f21ec2b5.png

6z run has similar for the GFS, with the Euro coming in about halfway to the GFS and the NAM looking like the Euro.  Timing still an issue with GFS 6hrs faster with the onset.

Edited by StretchCT

• Moderators

Like many of it's predecessors this one just reeks disappointment in these parts. Eastern surface winds spells downsloping off the Green Mtns., warm nose pushing in hard, a supposed hard thump to that often comes in a lot weaker than expected....early call is 1-3" imby. I think Rt 4 north to Rt 2 will be the prime zone for a potential deformation.

• LIKE 1
  • MELTING 1

1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

Split decision on 9z Sref in Central PA. Could be snow and sleet, could be rain.

Could be a coating to 2", could be 3+. Flip a coin.

Hooray, another "look out the window" event . /sigh

Its been awhile since a classic pure snow event without starting ending or in the middle rain/sleet/fzr/mix 

• YUCK 1
  • MELTING 1