March 3-4, 2023 | NE. Winter Storm

MaineJay

7 minutes ago, NEPAsnow said:

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_16.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_15.png

cmc at 12 and 18z gfs very similar

Great trends over the last few runs on the gfs.  Hopefully we continue to see the nao keep slipping west along with the 50/50 stronger and further south/southeast.  That’s what we want to see to promote a quicker transfer and not as north movement 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Need some different timing in the northern stream. The southern low wants to find that shortwave ridging "pocket" as the Hudson Bay vortex kinda retrogrades.  A more stout HB vortex would help, but it's only made cameo appearances this winter.

So the GFS keeps the system a little faster and a little more east, weakens it/shears it out earlier and further south.  There's this one piece that's diff over NE Canada.  This is pretty much as the GFS has transferred.  That piece in the upper right of the frame eventually does stop the upper low from progressing north on the euro, just too late.

models-2023022812-f096.500hv.conus.thumb.gif.ba39cb1500bedd08a9c0375fa9684f5f.gif

I think it's a bad run for me though. I have to be in NJ for a funeral and pick up my son at the train station in Newark at 3:30.  I either need it to slow down or rain at least along the coast. 

floop-gfs-2023022818.prateptype_cat-imp.us_state_ne_s.gif.e3cc165e97f6365360a1f3eda3fc650b.gif

• Admin
22 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

So the GFS keeps the system a little faster and a little more east, weakens it/shears it out earlier and further south.  There's this one piece that's diff over NE Canada.  This is pretty much as the GFS has transferred.  That piece in the upper right of the frame eventually does stop the upper low from progressing north on the euro, just too late.

models-2023022812-f096.500hv.conus.thumb.gif.ba39cb1500bedd08a9c0375fa9684f5f.gif

I think it's a bad run for me though. I have to be in NJ for a funeral and pick up my son at the train station in Newark at 3:30.  I either need it to slow down or rain at least along the coast. 

floop-gfs-2023022818.prateptype_cat-imp.us_state_ne_s.gif.e3cc165e97f6365360a1f3eda3fc650b.gif

Sorry for your loss 😕

• THANKS 1

13 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

SREFs look (compared to previous run) either colder, or slower, or some combination of the two.

ezgif-3-6e85357cc6(1).thumb.gif.defb3a66cda2b0bcc041e5e67dbe2f29.gif

As the official spokesperson for Central PA, I can confirm it has trended colder.  Snow/Sleet the primary higher pops.. at 15z half of the system Rain was preferred.

However, the mean total snow is down just a skotche.

Some pops from CPA, NEPA and SNY

png1.png

png2.png

png3.png

• LIKE 1
  • SHIVERING 1