March 3-4, 2023 | NE. Winter Storm

MaineJay

1 hour ago, GregRups said:

18z GFS does look slightly SE compared to 12z.  Wouldnt call it a trend but at least the jog west stopped for now.

So here’s how I see it.   Regardless, The storm is going to try and cut, that’s pretty much a done deal.  The key factor will be the block/confluence and all that up top.   How far north or much will it cut before it’s forced to transfer to the coast??  I hear this all the time…..”the confluence is always under modeled”….well, so is the southeast ridge.   Places from upstate NY and over into New England will fair well, but places down by me will be boom or bust.  Lots of time left for this block/confluence to shimmy this south, or vice versa.  But I’m leaning front end thump to cold rain even up by me.  

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

2 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

So here’s how I see it.   Regardless, The storm is going to try and cut, that’s pretty much a done deal.  The key factor will be the block/confluence and all that up top.   How far north or much will it cut before it’s forced to transfer to the coast??  I hear this all the time…..”the confluence is always under modeled”….well, so is the southeast ridge.   Places from upstate NY and over into New England will fair well, but places down by me will be boom or bust.  Lots of time left for this block/confluence to shimmy this south, or vice versa.  But I’m leaning front end thump to cold rain even up by me.  

Yaaas!  Glass half full PARD is so much nicer to read 🙂

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

26 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Yaaas!  Glass half full PARD is so much nicer to read 🙂

Haha don’t be fooled.  I’m def still glass half empty with this storm.  Although I was just telling my girlfriend that all I need is one good storm and then she can have her warmer weather.  So was cool w that.  So the sooner the better I guess 

• LIKE 1

I’m a complete novice here, but someone who’s been mildly fascinated with winter storms for the better part of my 56 years on our planet. Here’s the way I see it, please correct me if I’m wrong:

multiple factors come into play to form an overall pattern. These patterns can last weeks or months. The overall pattern the last few months has been to drive storms well to the north and west of the mid Atlantic (GL cutters) leaving most of us on the warm and snowless side. The Twin Cities on the other hand have benefited nicely from the pattern as they are less than 5 inches away from being in the top 10 for snowiest winters.

As a result, I haven’t gotten my hopes up much this winter from model runs, knowing the pattern points to “no snow for you!” The pattern has dictated play, no?

So two questions for those of you much more knowledgeable in here:

1) Can we get a favorable storm track (Miller A, B, something big) even though we are in a pattern that hasn’t produced a favorable track yet for most of us? Can the pattern buckle in our favor even for a few days?

2) Are there any signals that the pattern may change in our favor in the next 2-3 weeks, because the sand in my winter hourglass is quickly running out?

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CandO100 said:

I’m a complete novice here, but someone who’s been mildly fascinated with winter storms for the better part of my 56 years on our planet. Here’s the way I see it, please correct me if I’m wrong:

multiple factors come into play to form an overall pattern. These patterns can last weeks or months. The overall pattern the last few months has been to drive storms well to the north and west of the mid Atlantic (GL cutters) leaving most of us on the warm and snowless side. The Twin Cities on the other hand have benefited nicely from the pattern as they are less than 5 inches away from being in the top 10 for snowiest winters.

As a result, I haven’t gotten my hopes up much this winter from model runs, knowing the pattern points to “no snow for you!” The pattern has dictated play, no?

So two questions for those of you much more knowledgeable in here:

1) Can we get a favorable storm track (Miller A, B, something big) even though we are in a pattern that hasn’t produced a favorable track yet for most of us? Can the pattern buckle in our favor even for a few days?

2) Are there any signals that the pattern may change in our favor in the next 2-3 weeks, because the sand in my winter hourglass is quickly running out?

1) Yes. The SSW was to provide that disruption. There can also be other random blocks in bad pattern that can lead to good things. You can see some blocking in the GfS run. 
2) Other than the disruption by the SSW I don’t see a change. Eventually the Pacific will change though. 

• THANKS 1

• Admin
7 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Maybe the boundary sags a bit lower than the last?

The wave that comes through Wed-Thur is trending slower and deeper. NAM now drops it respectable 10mb in 9 hours.  Not going to be a big system by any stretch, but could definitely affect the downstream for this potential.

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_fh51_trend.thumb.gif.9154f59a69385340f634d4691857215a.gif

• LIKE 1

Just now, MaineJay said:

The wave that comes through Wed-Thur is trending slower and deeper. NAM now drops it respectable 10mb in 9 hours.  Not going to be a big system by any stretch, but could definitely affect the downstream for this potential.

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_fh51_trend.thumb.gif.9154f59a69385340f634d4691857215a.gif

That’s our 50/50 block.  I would most def say slower is better 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

The last four runs of the eps have been trending further south with the primary and eventually the coastal transfer.  So it’s certainly possible it’s a delayed reaction to the block/confluence.  I mean as long as the southeast ridge stays “somewhat” out of the way I feel the block would essentially win this battle 

• LIKE 2

Here you can clearly see the trend for the last 36 hours (6 runs) of the eps.  Primary doesn’t travel as far north because of the block/confluence which results in a quicker and further south coastal transfer.  Keep an eye on this as we move forward.  You also see the se ridge relaxing it’s “flex”. 

49F004F8-1A11-4995-8190-6A78D6F52548.gif

7F3272C9-EDEA-4CB8-95DB-540B2A5029A0.gif

Edited by PA road DAWG
  • LIKE 4