March 3-4, 2023 | NE. Winter Storm

MaineJay

• Meteorologist
3 hours ago, TLChip said:

I have some hope for this, SWH also had some hope for the 3rd week of March so maybe 2 shots yet. 

My thoughts for mid month honestly im pretty sure we are done with snow around this area. There is reason to believe there is a small chance as we still have cold running around but I fully expect a large system to move through the area. Maybe not quite on the level of the christmas storm but a rather strong system. I do expect it to cut NW though best temperature differential/ baroclinicity is NW and has been all season. This will usher in our last big cold blast into the 3rd week of March (from about St. Pattys day on). The NAO should probably push back to neutral by then as well and that will be about all she wrote for the season. 

In the next two weeks I see maybe an inch of snow and that is a big maybe on that front. There is leftover cold that may allow some precip to fall with this system friday/saturday there is another little shortwave that tries to come through but with that much confluence in the area around the 7th I doubt much can push in and then we have chilly weather up until about that mid month storm timeframe I have talked about where we look to get one more cold blast, about on par with how the SSW unleashes cold. I am honestly ready for severe weather at this point we need rains around here to pick up a bit typically this is around the start of our wet season so worrisome going in with a deficit already.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 2

Man, this winter is downright killer.  By far the most painful one I ever experienced.  Here I go kicking the can down the road to the 3/10-15 timeframe now….  Wait until you see the raging +pna and raging west based -nao we get during all of April into May.  #torture 

Edited by PA road DAWG
  • LIKE 2

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

Man, this winter is downright killer.  By far the most painful one I ever experienced.  Here I go kicking the can down the road to the 3/10-15 timeframe now….  Wait until you see the raging +pna and raging west based -nao we get during all of April into May.  #torture 

You stand a decent chance with this one. It wont be a block buster but for sure a solid snow is still at play for you. Key is just how far the push of warmth is in the upper levels. It may be a situation where allentown on north gets into some fun before we run the precip out and it slowly warms. We stand a chance of a little bit of snow down this way. 

The front coming through tomorrow is weak and does not have a lot of cold air behind it but what it does have is a large amount of dry air aloft. This could allow your area to hold onto the cold a bit longer than modeled. It will be interesting to see what the skew T's pump out Friday morning. 

NAM still trending to a slow exit of the system tomorrow evening. Lets see what happens. You guys in terrain stand a much better chance than the flat landers and areas from NYC south really may only get some flakes.

namconus_z500_mslp_us_fh30_trend.gif

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

• Meteorologist

Im not too concerned with model SLP output but NAM is seeing a different orientation in the trough less umpphhh on the energy going into the lower lakes means jet is shunted south and east a bit. More ridging and less troughy look behind the system as well which will change jet orientation. GFS with a similar look of less 250mb jet action pushing into PA and more so sliding just south placing strong lift in the area of northern PA into SENY and inner SNE, coastal regions will suffer unfortunately.

Looking like snow to heavy at times going to a sleet fest. Maybe solid 2-4" in those regions before it switches. Obviously though the further north one gets the better the opportunity at all snow. Talking about you central NY and Mass on north.

Lets not forget to add the Euro too also showing a fairly similar approach.

namconus_uv250_us_fh48_trend.gif

gfs_uv250_us_fh54_trend.gif

ecmwf_uv250_us_fh54_trend.gif

• LIKE 4
  • LOVE 1

19 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

I personally do not believe that we have seen the southern extent of the wintry wx yet. While the NAO is not necessarily flexing, it is still stronger than many of these models are viewing. 

Perhaps but the 50/50 is more east too though 

• LIKE 1

31.5°F, light snow.  It’s looking like last months -17.9°F will be this winter’s lowest temp(compared to two -29°F nights last year). Not too extreme for my neck of the woods other than the high wind/low wind chill event wild weekend.
Todays snow should get us to our normal 2 foot early March snowpack depth. Always glad to share with our friends to the south, all good here.  Starting next week the joys of living on a dirt road will commence as the sun each day thaws the top surface while the road bed underneath remains frozen with snow banks “damming” in any melting.  No rain storms for a few weeks please.
A plus, the sap will be running…

• LIKE 3

BTV's forecast discussion.  They still aren't sure where the heaviest snow will fall and snow ratios will be a factor.

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/...
As of 424 AM EST Thursday...

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH
SATURDAY EVENING...

Heading into weekend, confidence continues to grow that the region
will see moderate impacts from a winter storm with warning level
snowfall possible. For several days now, we`ve been waiting for
model guidance to come into better agreement with this system, and
unfortunately they have not. For the life cycle of the storm from now
through about 00Z Saturday models are in fairly good agreement
showing a deep upper trough and closed mid/upper level circulation
currently over Arizona tracking into Texas tonight. Surface
cyclogenesis occurs thereafter and the now vertically stacked system
lifts northeast into the Mississippi River Valley Friday morning,
and then into the Ohio Valley by the days end.

Thereafter for Friday night into Saturday 2 camps exist...the
GFS/GDPS and ECMWF/NAM with the main differences being the
strength/track of the mid/upper level low, and whether or not drier
air associated with high pressure over Quebec will suppress
precipitation southward. The ECMWF and NAM solutions continue to
side with a stronger closed mid/upper level low tracking from the
Great Lakes through central/southern new England, while the GFS and
GDPS are more of an open wave with stronger ridging north of the
Canadian border. The exact track of the upper level low and
subsequent development of a secondary surface low will play a large
role in where the heaviest banding of snow will occur, and for now
we`re leaning towards a blend of ensemble guidance given the
uncertainty.

Somewhere is going to get a good thump of snow, as dry low to mid-
level northerly flow from high pressure across Quebec will clash
with a surge of PWATS near the 200th percentile brought northward
from the Gulf of Mexico by a strong low/mid level jet. A sharp QPF
gradient is expected to occur, and we`re currently forecasting
around a half inch across the Canadian border to over an inch in
southern Vermont where the best chances for heavier snowfall are as
a 700mb FGEN band looks to be focused. A complicating factor in the
correlation of this QPF to snowfall will be the snow ratios as
soundings continue to show a high DGZ and strong southeasterly flow
beneath it which may act to shred the crystals apart during the
Friday night timeframe. As the low level jet moves out Saturday,
better ratios will likely be observed, but the general idea is for
lower overall ratios in the 10-12:1 range. This outputs snow totals
from 6-12" north to south, which has prompted the issuance of a
Winter Storm Watch from Friday evening through Saturday. There are
still plenty of details to work out with this one, and hopefully as
we move into the time range where we will benefit from more
available mesoscale guidance, we can hone in on where the sweet
spots will be.

• Moderators

🤣🤣 haven't they learned yet?

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 10.19.48 AM.png

Still sticking with my 1-3" call....alright 2-4"....1" before flipping to sleet, and another 2" after we flip back to snow

Edited by telejunkie
  • SNOWMAN 1

8 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

🤣🤣 haven't they learned yet?

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 10.19.48 AM.png

Still sticking with my 1-3" call....

It will be interesting to see if today's 12Z GFS goes a little north because it seems the GFS is backing down from the storm being a bit further north.  I also think that ALB is more bullish on this storm than BTV.  BTV's coverage are doesn't have any areas of 12"+ that i can tell.

5 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

HRRR is colder.

Anyone want to borrow a straw? I have many to share.

I've been rooting for HRRR exclusively. It's been sticking to its guns. I'll go down with the ship 🤣

• LAUGH 1