Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

woolly caterpillars are 90% brown here, winter cancel 😄

99% of the woolies I've seen in my life are black at the ends and brown in the middle, including all the ones I've seen this year.

• LIKE 2

19 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

99% of the woolies I've seen in my life are black at the ends and brown in the middle, including all the ones I've seen this year.

11 minutes ago, Grace said:

We've seen more solid black woolies here this fall than we have in years. Last time I remember this many was in the mid 1980's. 

But in my opinion woolies don't mean much for a forecast. 

Its all rubbish anyways haha, just like the acorn crop....which I learned last year actually runs on a 1 year lag so that one is completely debunked. The one I would entertain though is if your lucky enough to take a deer in the fall, the amount of fat on the deer when skinning several times I have made a correlation. Last year there WAS alot of fat on one from November but to be fair what happened in December while short term for humans.....was absolutely brutal on nature, so I still call that relevant

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 3

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

just like the acorn crop

We noticed a ton of acorns falling.  But in August.

I find this hopeful.  It's February and our best looking month for cold.

image.thumb.png.8093750980c6a9f9c837fea90d1b4b4e.png

Normal snow depth would be awesome. And the positive anomalies aren't terribly high and in places that typically see more snow. 

image.thumb.png.ffe5240d2d40685df04c80b87e249b82.png

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

On 10/9/2023 at 11:33 AM, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Its all rubbish anyways haha, just like the acorn crop....which I learned last year actually runs on a 1 year lag so that one is completely debunked. The one I would entertain though is if your lucky enough to take a deer in the fall, the amount of fat on the deer when skinning several times I have made a correlation. Last year there WAS alot of fat on one from November but to be fair what happened in December while short term for humans.....was absolutely brutal on nature, so I still call that relevant

Acorn and other nut crops doing well here, but the deer have not been as active on my trail cams.  May be because the bears are more active though.

• LIKE 1

35 minutes ago, Grace said:

Saw Raindancewx forecast over on American wx forums. Typical SW U.S. bias from him, lol. Never fails. He puts a ton of work into it & always has the same conclusion. 

If anyone is looking for a signal for an Eastern US snowy winter stronger than what we are looking at for this year then I don't know what that might be.  Good luck with that. Nothing is ever perfect but from the analogs to the long range seasonal forecast I can honestly say it will probably be a while before you see anything that looks as good as this. 

• LIKE 1
  • SAD 1

19 minutes ago, 1816 said:

If anyone is looking for a signal for an Eastern US snowy winter stronger than what we are looking at for this year then I don't know what that might be.  Good luck with that. Nothing is ever perfect but from the analogs to the long range seasonal forecast I can honestly say it will probably be a while before you see anything that looks as good as this. 

That UKMET update is pretty sweet!  I'm not sure you can get a better 4 month mean.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

3 hours ago, Grace said:

Saw Raindancewx forecast over on American wx forums. Typical SW U.S. bias from him, lol. Never fails. He puts a ton of work into it & always has the same conclusion. 

Did it contain the phrase "warm signal for the East"?

48 minutes ago, Grace said:

You know it, lol! You can always count on it, no matter what's going on. 

It's just happened to be right for a whole bunch of years in a row. Sooner or later it won't be and bastardi will take a victory lap. 

• LIKE 1