Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

Long range has a way of humbling, but to me the most likely scenario at this point is a turn to colder weather for the back half or so of February and continuing through maybe the first half of March.  Then perhaps a dramatic warmup in latter March, which would probably be to the delight of most folks.  

• THUMBS UP 3

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Long range has a way of humbling, but to me the most likely scenario at this point is a turn to colder weather for the back half or so of February and continuing through maybe the first half of March.  Then perhaps a dramatic warmup in latter March, which would probably be to the delight of most folks.  

I wouldn't mind that scenario.

1 hour ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Birds sure chirping today like it’s March first and not February first. Also the next ten days around here sure have the almost Saint Patrick’s day feel and not it’s still winter feel. Regardless of what we squeeze out of what’s left of winter this has been two back to back garbage winters…. I mean just look at it outside does not scream February screams I need to get my yard tools and lawn mower ready

IMG_3501.jpeg

This has me debating if I'd rather have a string of average, nothing too exciting winters or a few bad ones followed by 1-2 amazing/blockbuster winters.  Might be ok giving up a few duds to get one thats just over the top incredible....i dunno

• THUMBS UP 1

Warm ups in winter aren’t uncommon, El Niño always has the chance of being warm but with big storms when the cold crashes in. most of the NE is close to average snowfall a bit below, with way above average temps. 

Different for Midwest I suppose but over here a big storm makes or breaks your average. Top 3 storms imby are more than an average yearly snowfall. 6 of 10 happened in the last 25-30 years. 

Just a complete novice/winter weather fan looking to get some thoughts from those of you who are much more experienced with long range forecasting.

I live in Williamsport, MD and fully accept the reality of my location when it comes to snow chances. We've had some great snowstorms through the years (Feb 2010, Jan 2016, etc.) but have also had winters with little to no snow. Historically speaking and realistically speaking for MBY, we have about 6-7 weeks left to pick up measurable snow. 

My question:

When you look at the long range (4-6weeks) what do you see in terms of encouraging signals for snow vs discouraging signals? While I'm sure there are a whole host of factors, are there certain things you see that you would go, "oh these 2-3 things look promising, but these 4-5 things are a death blow?" When I say "things" I'm referring to the signals I see talked about that impact the development of east coast snowstorms like NAO, MJO, ridge/trough placement, etc., you know like a "Pros" and "Cons" list.

If the pros are greater than the cons than I might cling to some hope otherwise I'll just have to accept my future fate. Sadly my extremely novice view of looking ahead is the monthly weather calendar on Accuweather. PS, February looks sad, lol!

Thanks and as always I appreciate the work many of you do who provide such great insights on this forum. I'm largely just a lurker but I read and try my best to extrapolate what my chances are for snow. The forums have been such a downer. I wish there was more for you all to track and discuss and for us lurkers to read and ponder.

Be well!

• LOVE 1

2 hours ago, CandO100 said:

Just a complete novice/winter weather fan looking to get some thoughts from those of you who are much more experienced with long range forecasting.

I live in Williamsport, MD and fully accept the reality of my location when it comes to snow chances. We've had some great snowstorms through the years (Feb 2010, Jan 2016, etc.) but have also had winters with little to no snow. Historically speaking and realistically speaking for MBY, we have about 6-7 weeks left to pick up measurable snow. 

My question:

When you look at the long range (4-6weeks) what do you see in terms of encouraging signals for snow vs discouraging signals? While I'm sure there are a whole host of factors, are there certain things you see that you would go, "oh these 2-3 things look promising, but these 4-5 things are a death blow?" When I say "things" I'm referring to the signals I see talked about that impact the development of east coast snowstorms like NAO, MJO, ridge/trough placement, etc., you know like a "Pros" and "Cons" list.

If the pros are greater than the cons than I might cling to some hope otherwise I'll just have to accept my future fate. Sadly my extremely novice view of looking ahead is the monthly weather calendar on Accuweather. PS, February looks sad, lol!

Thanks and as always I appreciate the work many of you do who provide such great insights on this forum. I'm largely just a lurker but I read and try my best to extrapolate what my chances are for snow. The forums have been such a downer. I wish there was more for you all to track and discuss and for us lurkers to read and ponder.

Be well!

This is my bookmark because I can't recall all the information like some of the wizards in here.

https://abington.k12.pa.us/teachers/hurmms/Majorsnowstormchecklist.htm

I attached the powerpoint that's at the bottom of that site as well. -NAO is top of the list here and with many members.

Edit: I never checked the powerpoint out until today... it has way more info on it.

Stormchecklist.ppt

Edited by TLChip

45 minutes ago, TLChip said:

This is my bookmark because I can't recall all the information like some of the wizards in here.

https://abington.k12.pa.us/teachers/hurmms/Majorsnowstormchecklist.htm

I attached the powerpoint that's at the bottom of that site as well. -NAO is top of the list here and with many members.

Edit: I never checked the powerpoint out until today... it has way more info on it.

Stormchecklist.ppt 2.13 MB · 0 downloads

TLChip, that link is great, thank you for sharing. I love the color coded section for needed storm ingredients. It says if you want snow then you want everything in “red.” Gee, when’s the last time we had all of that working in our favor?

Thanks again for the resource. This is something I will be referring back too. Lots of other links in there to check out as well. 

6 hours ago, TLChip said:

Warm ups in winter aren’t uncommon, El Niño always has the chance of being warm but with big storms when the cold crashes in. most of the NE is close to average snowfall a bit below, with way above average temps. 

Different for Midwest I suppose but over here a big storm makes or breaks your average. Top 3 storms imby are more than an average yearly snowfall. 6 of 10 happened in the last 25-30 years. 

Warm ups aren't uncommon, but to have 2 consecutive winters that are pretty much one big warmup is very uncommon.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Wally Ho said:

Am guessing the absence of any late night (early morning) posts proclaiming the mid/late month PV onslaught might mean the long range outlook for eastern cold and snow has dulled somewhat?  

I wouldn't read too much into that.  It's at the tail end of deterministic runs, so there is not a ton of eye candy to get the dopamine pumping. 

Ensembles showing a +PNA, -EPO, -NAO, so we have a longwave pattern to work with, just need the shortwaves to get in line, but this details are beyond murky. 

eps_z500a_namer_50.thumb.png.c71ff3e071e1f7e0e6f943ddc972301b.png

As far as the PV split stuff, i dunno, I'm starting to get the sense this stuff happens all the time and it's random how it translates. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

😬

Screenshot_20240202-061530_X.jpg

I firmly believe we see mid month cold and snow, similar to what we had in January - larger in scope and effect. 

Punxy Phil calls for Early Spring. I cannot disagree. --- Uncle Bill calls for two more weeks of Taylor Swift (at minimum) 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

😬

Screenshot_20240202-061530_X.jpg

Mind you, we know that winter likes to hang on in the north, but everything points to 1-2 weeks of winter and then back to more of what we have seen so far this year. I am glad to see the southwest cashing in and that should continue into March with some lulls interspersed.

• LIKE 1

5 hours ago, MaineJay said:

As far as the PV split stuff, i dunno, I'm starting to get the sense this stuff happens all the time and it's random how it translates. 

Agreed, I think it just helps enhance snow when it shows up. If all the other teles line up it seems like the PV doesn’t matter, just some source of cold. Second half of Feb might be the best setup we’ve seen in a few years. 2021?

Also feeling the winter for a bit and early spring, not against it if we can dry out instead of cold rain. Phil only rocks 38% or so though…

Edited by TLChip