Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

97-98 was an abysmal snow season for Hbg and 72-73 had only two NADS snow in all of Jan-Feb that year (5" and 0.4" in mid Feb)

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/harrisburg/year-1973

I was in Millersville the 97-98 year and I can attest that it was absolute garbage. Lol i think the highlight of the winter was a snow to sleet to rain event that put down like 2". The HIGHLIGHT!

My friend was in York that winter and broke his car door handle after a bad ice storm (wouldnt open, pulled too hard).

Here we go. I think a similar SPV warming event that has immediate results like in JAN. I'm not saying same severity of cold, no one honestly knows. But I'm saying it will deliver some cold. 

This is still a ways out but ensemble SPV forecasts have been hinting. 

Screenshot_20240129-232040_Chrome.thumb.jpg.279556b0f9ec5ddb8422e5aa5836047a.jpg

My analog for this winter has long been 1983 (verifiable through Poc and AnthonyWeather) - I based that on how the preceding Nov-Dec played out and the signal for El Nino relative strength as the season progressed - thinking it collapses quickly and we move to a sudden Spring. 

That year we had one important storm and that was near 11-12th and was quite a doozy. I believe our current guidance supports this, including the MJO. As it moves from 7-8, it never gets to 1 before crashing in the COD

image.thumb.png.620c6ba66a6c1ee1075271fe67dc0e20.png

If we can get one big storm this year I’ll take it. Winter has lingered the past few years so early spring wouldn’t be bad… cept cutting grass for an extra month or so 🤣

• THUMBS UP 1

5 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

My analog for this winter has long been 1983 (verifiable through Poc and AnthonyWeather) - I based that on how the preceding Nov-Dec played out and the signal for El Nino relative strength as the season progressed - thinking it collapses quickly and we move to a sudden Spring. 

That year we had one important storm and that was near 11-12th and was quite a doozy. I believe our current guidance supports this, including the MJO. As it moves from 7-8, it never gets to 1 before crashing in the COD

image.thumb.png.620c6ba66a6c1ee1075271fe67dc0e20.png

1983, had a whopper in the MidAtlantic. A thundersnow blizzard about 26 inches.

• LIKE 2

3 minutes ago, George Acton said:

1983, had a whopper in the MidAtlantic. A thundersnow blizzard about 26 inches.

Yes sir - my car was buried in drifting for 2 days afterwards. 

Don't look now, but GFS is trying to prophesize as we speak

• LIKE 2

12 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Boom!

Stacked packed and all that. Just like the analog... image.thumb.png.d26ec2c0341cb9ff5138c6baf29ea693.png

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 1

38 minutes ago, RobB said:

Temperature departures through yesterday..

image.thumb.png.2b2c735dba286e5bfa703556c97b8421.png

That's a really impressive temperature gradient between the Plains and upper Midwest over nearly a whole month. 

• THUMBS UP 1

20 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's a really impressive temperature gradient between the Plains and upper Midwest over nearly a whole month. 

Agreed!

• Admin
1 hour ago, RobB said:

Temperature departures through yesterday..

image.thumb.png.2b2c735dba286e5bfa703556c97b8421.png

Warm, wet, and kinda snowy. Lots fell, lots melted. Looks pretty now though, kids and dogs are happy at least.  

Screenshot_20240130-131723.thumb.png.34c601cce51ef6caecbce2d5df3a722a.png

• THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

What was incredible, it was a short duration event with intense snow bands. I believe it was less than 24 hours long.

6 minutes ago, George Acton said:

What was incredible, it was a short duration event with intense snow bands. I believe it was less than 24 hours long.

I was driving at work. It hit a 2 p.m. - the snow was heavy from the get go. By the time I clocked out at 4 we already had 4" - and it kept up near those rates all night long. 

I have no data to base this on, and certainly not bitter casting, but my life experience tells me I've seen this movie before.  I recall several seasons in the Accuweather forums where it was "pattern change in a week or two" over and over all winter long.  I love snow as much as anyone else, but I'm also ready to break out the golf clubs and get warm enough weather to play outside.  Just not sure how much stock I put into the upcoming pattern change-really hope it happens, as we need about 2-3 snow events to clean out the salt barns to have enough space for the rest of what we ordered-but also ready to get to spring.

• THUMBS UP 1