Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

16 minutes ago, George Acton said:

I have been reading Dr Judah Cohen's posts on the evolution of the SPV. If the SPV gets stronger and migrates to Eurasia it has me SMH about the rest of this winter.

Another SPV warming event begins in 11-15. Too early to see if it's similar to last one that had immediate effects or whether it'll be stronger or what but it's going to weaken the SPV. All ensemble means have it occurring now. 6z GEFS control looks to split 10mb & 50 mb. Just something to watch. 

BTW, Judah predicts a rinse & repeat by mid-Feb. 

• LIKE 1

On 1/25/2024 at 10:59 AM, StLweatherjunkie said:

Even if there is some snow, if it all melts within a few days then doesn't it really matter? Above normal temps before and after snows is a bummer. 

This is how I know I live too far south(maybe in a few years depending on family we can relocate). I want it to stay, want to see white when I look outside between Dec->March, longer if possible. Keeps spring and cutting grass further away. You should check out Mainiacs pic from 08 in the NE daily area. He’s below average as well this year too though.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
20 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

I'm among the farthest north on this forum and I want anything approaching typical winter weather.

After an abysmal start to the season with least amount of snow from July through December on record and December temps 10.1F warmer than average. We got a week of below normal temps and almost 40 inches of snowfall in 9 days, but we're still more than 40 inches behind seasonal averages. Now I'm watching gross fog/drizzle melt the snow I very patiently waited for ... in late January when the average temperature is supposed to be 13F!!!

I'm seriously considering moving to Alaska since Upper Michigan isn't far enough north anymore 🫠

Welcome to mid atlantic life lol shame it has hit that far north of recent.

Meanwhile bwi hit 78 im currently sitting at 52. I wonder where that front is.

• FLUSHED 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, StretchCT said:

This is 10 days out or so but I don't remember seeing an Omega block collapse this way before. Should be interesting.gem_z500_vort_us_fh210-234.thumb.gif.e75d7985da54a3491f0583a8fd3ea6c3.gif

Oh... this happens.image.gif.281e861369d64b0f383f4c6e448596b5.gif

962 low

image.thumb.png.021c1b9191dc7289620897e016498756.png

• LAUGH 2
  • LOVE 1

29 minutes ago, RobB said:

1/27 12Z NAEFS:

image.thumb.png.1d5799fa1525a18511b5f8fddfac49c9.png

This thread would lose its mind (in a good party like its 1999 kind of way) if the blues on these maps lasted as long of the red streaks 🤦

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 5