Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Admin
13 hours ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Gfs certainly hasn’t looked like a torch the last 8 runs 

Sarcasm? I can't tell.  I mean, warmth in Canada this time of year, even in the northern CONUS, is still cold though to snow, maybe that's what you mean?

gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_fh252_trend.thumb.gif.8d1c48a4ab0b823851cff8a596f0fd76.gif

• FIRE 1

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Sarcasm? I can't tell.  I mean, warmth in Canada this time of year, even in the northern CONUS, is still cold though to snow, maybe that's what you mean?

I actually find "Not so cold" more annoying.  If it is say upper 30s and low 40s.  Any snows that could fall would be wet as hell.  If it be too warm for good snows, then it may as well be in the 50s or higher 🙂

• THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

I think the torch looks a bit more muted because of the time of year. Meaning although the temperature departures from normal are very high the actual 2m temperatures aren’t as high as they would be in say early December when normals aren’t as low. I know that it’s still warm but some places still could be close enough to freezing for frozen precip at times. Either way still torchy.

Edited by SNOWBOB11

6 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

IDK - +18F to +24F anomalies might be much to overcome.

image.thumb.png.ee14a9a235c4f50d609725a8f210f29f.png

One would definitely have to thread the needle for snows that could fall and then quickly melts away in a day or two.  I rather snows hold out until the next cold shot.

I was looking at past snow totals for my location.  It's sad.

Of the last ten years, 5 have had less than 6" of snow for the entire season. 3 more have had less than 12"  Only two seasons in the last 10 years have had more than 12" of snow for the entire winter season.  

The average for my location is 27" per season.  

What a terrible stretch of being in the screw zone for snow.  I was trying to verify my memories of snowier winters when I was a kid.  I feel sorry for my kids - sometimes they can't sled at all for an entire year.  

• LIKE 1
  • SAD 4
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

you can almost ALWAYS set your calendar by a snow potential (for someone in the east) that falls near the Valentines Day/Presidents day window. Thats when I'll be looking for the next opportunity. By then this torch will have run a 3 week course and one would think it gets exhausted at some point

22 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

you can almost ALWAYS set your calendar by a snow potential (for someone in the east) that falls near the Valentines Day/Presidents day window. Thats when I'll be looking for the next opportunity. By then this torch will have run a 3 week course and one would think it gets exhausted at some point

I'll be ready for spring storm season by then 

• LIKE 1

It's interesting to me how similar this winter and the previous winter have been, despite the different ENSO states. Both featured almost non-stop torches with a brief arctic interlude. The only difference being last year the break in the torch happened in late December and this year it was mid-January. Maybe just a new normal? 

Edited by Arctic Outbreak
  • LIKE 1

• Social Media Crew
59 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Thinking we flip to a more cold and stormy pattern in the Eastern USA after 2/4/24. 

I agree.. 2/8-2/12.. Right around the 10th. Teleconnections, MJO, long-range ensembles.. something's brewing.  

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 2